XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Best Coolant for x300 XJR

Old 10-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Coolant for x300 XJR

Hi all

I am looking to renew my coolant (full flush and replenish), just bought the car recently so doing all my fluids to get a baseline.

My question is, since standards back in 95 have now been far exceeded, what is the best type for this car?

I've been told that as long it is phosphate free and meets BS 6580 standard it's fine.

But is it BETTER to use a new long life type of coolant?

I'm looking at these:

Green

Red

Blue

Many thanks,

John

Last edited by JohnF; 10-19-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Well AFAIK, the old standby 'green' coolant is what came in the X300. If that isn't true, please correct. But with that in mind, I'll possibly just keep using it.

Why? Well, because it works And it isn't hard to change out every year or two.

And while you can certainly change out the coolant to something else, I've read that you need to be certain to fully flush as a combination of the two may cause sludge.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...coolant-64021/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-yellow-63973/

The TSBs in the links above and other online research however do seem to indicate that the updated coolant spec for the yellow Jaguar DOW D542 is essentially the same as the G-05 yellow coolants. So that may be a good alternative to traditional green.

But I can't speak to any specific long duration coolants such as those you linked (the links seem broken BTW)

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 10-19-2014 at 10:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by al_roethlisberger:
JohnF (10-19-2014), MikeyB10 (06-27-2018)
Old 10-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Al.

I fixed the links too (sorry).

I would use Jag Yellow as per their bulletin, but I cannot find it here in Australia.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,742 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Just FWIW my '95 had old fashioned green stuff when I bought it at 30k miles and that's all I've used ever since.

Nothing has happened that would compell me to change.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is the cut-and-paste of a reply I did to a previous post about coolant:

Colour is less important than specific chemical composition. There are basically three major classes of ethylene glycol coolant, IAT (inorganic acid technology), OAT (organic acid technology), HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology). They shouldn't be mixed.

IAT is the old green stuff, containing silicates which are the anti-oxidant compounds that keep your cooling system from rusting. Works great, no issues, but the silicates are depleted in about 2 years, possibly 3, so the recommendation is to change coolant every 2 years.

OAT uses organic acids to prolong the anti-oxidant ability of the coolant. These form a molecular layer on contacted metal which is how they inhibit corrosion, and it takes about 5000 miles for this reaction to fully occur. Silicates in IAT coolant react immediately but are rapidly consumed (a buffered pH solution, back to high school chemistry). OAT coolants are supposed to last 5 years. The first one was GM's Dex-Cool. The major neg of this is one of the chemicals, 2-EHA that acts as a plasticizer and weakens certain plastic cooling system components. It also is prone to rust in certain engines that don't have the coolant changed often enough, mostly iron blocks and ones that expose coolant to air more than most. I had a 94 GMC Yukon with the 5.7 V-8 that rusted up with factory recommended coolant changes. Our Jag's don't have as much iron as aluminium so it should be less of an issue.

HOAT coolant is a hybrid of both. Mercedes and Chrysler are the main users of this. IMO HOAT is the best of both worlds. But, it seems most vehicle manufacturers are moving to slightly different versions of OAT coolants for long life/less maintenance/make the the customer happy reasons, plus making environmentalists happier by less ethylene glycol being used/dumped/needing to be recycled.

Most "universal coolants" are OAT, though some don't have 2-ethylhexanoic acid (2-EHA) in them.

The major reason to not mix coolants is due to additive incompatibilities which can cause precipitation and plugging of coolant passages. Adding IAT to either OAT or HOAT reduces the life of the mixture to that of IAT, defeating the purpose of long-life coolants.

So, nothing wrong with using IAT coolant, just change it every 2 years. Universal long-life coolants are OK, but preferably ones without 2-EHA, though the AJ16 engine isn't overly at risk. My preference is for HOAT. Zerex G-05 is the aftermarket version of this, though Chrysler brand coolant is the same.

Valvoline.com > Products > Zerex > Antifreeze Zerex > Zerex G-05? Antifreeze / Coolant

The following 2 users liked this post by jvitez:
al_roethlisberger (10-23-2014), Chattanooga_XJR (10-21-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

MotoMaster Asian Concentrate Coolant, 3.78 L | Canadian Tire this is the coolant i used. flushed system about 4 times then 60/40 coolant ionized water mixture. After reading up on coolants i liked the specs of this flavour seems to do the job. I'm sure others would work