XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Bluetooth solution through CD changer...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:17 PM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Bluetooth solution through CD changer...

If this works it will be great!!!!

Plugs in place of CD changer and uses CD circuitry and provides a bluetooth input.

A2D-JAG97 Audio Streaming Adapter for 1986-97 Jaguar XJ and XK :: Bluetooth

Anyone used one yet?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

You would loose the use of the CD as well a losing the whole thing if you lost the CD unit . Most bluetooth adapters transmit back into the head units FM receiver by a tuned airwave signal that distorts the signal by way of having to go through another device being the bluetooth adapter . By tapping a input jack into the cassette tape output into the main section of the head unit you bypass the distortion but also the use of the cassette but keep the CD . The input jack modification is easy in that it just involves soldiering in the the jack as in the pic below .

There is a long detailed post in the X308 section involving a CD changer modification as the stereos wiring is identical to the X300 .

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-r-last-11943/

Attached Images  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 10-15-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:23 AM

My CD player is inoperable and the head unit doesn't even act like it is connected. (and now it is in a box in the garage). So the "Butcher your CD player" mod probably won't work. I wonder sometimes if the head unit is the issue.

I haven't used a CD except to move an album onto a PC and into my digital realm in years.

Monkeying around with a dummy tape to make the soldered tape player run would drive me crazy.

So has anyone USED one of these and can report back?

The following 2 users liked this post by Ric in RVA:
al_roethlisberger (10-17-2017), Lady Penelope (10-16-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Haven't used it, but looks slick and easy if one doesn't care about retaining the CD changer.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:10 PM

Since my CD changer is not recognized I was worried the adapter wouldn't work. (Maybe it is the radio instead of the CD changer that is inoperable and the device won't be recognized either?)

So I bought a system that takes a bluetooth receiver and combines it with an FM modulator that plugs into the antenna at the radio.

Here is a similar one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ISIMPLE...8AAOSwol5Y23KV

Old 10-18-2017, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

Get back with you in the morning as on the X300 Jaguar / Alpine AJ9500A control head has 3 power inputs / fuses and the external wire premium setup has it's own configuration other then the non - premium setup using the same AJ9500A control head . Your issue with the stereo head and may be fuses as well as the external amplifier fuse . Also there are 2 round cable wire bundles connected one black and the premium setup tan needs to be connected as they may be stuffed in the opening cavity back in there and missing connection . See pic below :

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 10-18-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Get back with you in the morning as on the X300 Jaguar / Alpine AJ9500A control head has 3 power inputs / fuses and the external wire premium setup has it's own configuration other then the non - premium setup using the same AJ9500A control head . Your issue with the stereo head and may be fuses as well as the external amplifier fuse . Also there are 2 round cable wire bundles connected one black and the premium setup tan needs to be connected as they may be stuffed in the opening cavity back in there and missing connection . See pic below :
Interesting. I have the that head unit, a changer and Harmon Kardon. Previous owner said CD worked until one day it didn't. Still has his CD's in it.

I have done zero troubleshooting on it but if I could get it working I would load a few CD's and give the PO his back.

Love to hear more about the fuses.

Thanks for all advice and assistance across the forum Lady P.

Ric

Old 10-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Fuse locations : Dealing with bad internet

Power Amplifier # 1 ( 25 amp ) trunk fuse box

Head # 8 ( 15 amp ) trunk fuse box

Head # 10 ( 5 amp ) trunk fuse box

No fuse found for CD changer

Double checked as is different then non - premium (mine )

Yep they're different

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth solution through CD changer...-x300-stereo-wiring.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 10-18-2017 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ric in RVA (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

OK, well your comments about the CD changer not being recognized AND not allowing you to eject the CDs are two common and different problems.

I don't have time to search out the links right now, but there are several threads on this subject. If you search for something like "CD NO CON" (someone will correct me) you'll find the post talking about the cold solder joints in the head unit that cause the head unit to stop communicating with the CD changer and how to DIY fix it. You'll also see discussions about just sending the whole head unit to be reconditioned, which is what I did as that single cold solder joint is usually not your only problem with these 20+ year old head units at this point. It was well worth the $200 to have it rebuilt IMHO to keep it stock, and it is a nice unit when working correctly. Others may disagree.

The "not ejecting" CDs is another issue where the worm gear in the CD changer that actuates the ejection/insertion of the CD cartridge has likely worked off its spindle. I think the actual DIY thread on fixing that is in the X308 forum as I recall, although it was 3 years ago that I fixed mine. It's an easy fix, but you do have to take the changer apart. The other alternative is to spend $20-50 on a used one

But both conditions are completely "fixable" if desired.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
OK, well your comments about the CD changer not being recognized AND not allowing you to eject the CDs are two common and different problems.

I don't have time to search out the links right now, but there are several threads on this subject. If you search for something like "CD NO CON" (someone will correct me) you'll find the post talking about the cold solder joints in the head unit that cause the head unit to stop communicating with the CD changer and how to DIY fix it. You'll also see discussions about just sending the whole head unit to be reconditioned, which is what I did as that single cold solder joint is usually not your only problem with these 20+ year old head units at this point. It was well worth the $200 to have it rebuilt IMHO to keep it stock, and it is a nice unit when working correctly. Others may disagree.

The "not ejecting" CDs is another issue where the worm gear in the CD changer that actuates the ejection/insertion of the CD cartridge has likely worked off its spindle. I think the actual DIY thread on fixing that is in the X308 forum as I recall, although it was 3 years ago that I fixed mine. It's an easy fix, but you do have to take the changer apart. The other alternative is to spend $20-50 on a used one

But both conditions are completely "fixable" if desired.

Good luck!

My CD fix is in.....the box in the garage. No desire to have one running beyond checking a few fuses.

I am glad I din't try the CD replacement bluetooth as your post makes me think it is the head unit that is the real issue. But will poke around this weekend.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:45 AM

Here is what I used to solve my problem.

https://isimple.com/catalog/professi...ed-kits/ISFM23

The I simple Tranzit Blu. Bought off Ebay from a guy who bought but never installed but they are much cheaper than the retail price above on Amazon.

Basically you plug it into the FM antenna at the back of the radio and the FM antenna into the unit and it switches out the FM antenna to the bluetooth signal on the channel you want.

You can physically pick one of 3 channels OR you download the app and you can choose any channel.

I randomly picked one and it has zero fade or cross talk from other channels.

The app also allows you to turn the device off and on or set to automatic (if you are putting out bluetooth it turns on and your FM is muted.)

Installation was easy. Pull the ski slope, pull the radio back, plug in the antenna and route the wires aft.

I pulled power from the cigarette lighter with a scotch lock connector and crimped on an eye to the ground as there is a ground lug behind the shifter.

I used double sided tape to affix to the space between the sport normal switch and the ashtray box vertically.

I ran the fuse holder back under the arm rest box so I can get to it if I need to.

Note to others. If you pull all four screws and remove armrest the front screws and the back screws are different sizes and it is not immediately apparent.

Button it all back up after making sure it powers up.

I am using an old android phone that mount to a ram mount I glued into a spare ashtray. I stripped all the un-needed stuff on the old phone and set up an app called DRIVEMODE with Spotify and Waze.

Works great.

Old 06-28-2023, 09:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This works with or without the CD changer

Follow up.
I contacted discount stereo about the A2D-JAG97 and was told:
"If you have a functioning CD changer, it remains functional. If you do not have a CD changer, the module also works".
Mine has the CD changer and I still own lots of CD's (yeah, i know); so I went with the option to retain the CD changer. This let's me play CD's and stream music from my iPhone. One cool feature I recently discovered is when navigating and streaming at the same time; it mutes the music during navigation guidance.
To listen to CD's unpair phone or disable Bluetooth.
https://www.discountcarstereo.com/a2d-jag97.html

Old 06-28-2023, 09:25 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

How’s the sound quality? Did you go with the trunk-mounted or radio-mounted version? Install seems to be relatively easy at least.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSpeed66
How’s the sound quality? Did you go with the trunk-mounted or radio-mounted version? Install seems to be relatively easy at least.
Mine has the latest (according to them), Bluetooth 5.0 chip and it sounds great compared to AM/FM or Tape (I opted to install behind the radio). Tapped into accessory wire on radio harness (easy).
My next project is to find suitable replacement speakers which should make for even better sound.
AFAIK, the module that retains CD has a Bluetooth 5.0 chip and the one that does not retain CD (or vehicles without CD changer); has a Bluetooth 4.2 chip. Not sure if there is a difference is sound, but feel free to contact them (I used live chat with Austin who seem knowledge).
If you don't want Bluetooth (wireless), they also offer wired aux adapters:
https://www.discountcarstereo.com/aux-jag97.html (no CD player)
https://www.discountcarstereo.com/jag97-cd.html (with CD player).
I obviously opted for wireless.

The following 2 users liked this post by quietcoolone:
BlackSpeed66 (06-29-2023), Cafcpete (06-29-2023)