XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Bushing grommet for "XJR6 Supercharged" intake hood/duct

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Lightbulb Bushing grommet for "XJR6 Supercharged" intake hood/duct

As many have noted in the past, it seems odd that the two pins that locate the front of the XJR6 intake hood/duct (painted red with "XJR6 Supercharged", part 4 in the diagram) sit very loose in their bracket without any sort of bushing.

No one seems certain if these pins originally had bushings from the factory that perhaps disintegrated over time or never had any bushing at all, and to be fair the parts diagram does not indicate any bushing so it likely is that none was fitted.

But if one looks at the size of the holes in the bracket relative to the pins, it seems like the hood/duct could move around a lot un-damped and wonder if this was just an oversight in the design and perhaps they were meant to have bushings. This loose fit could cause rattling and possibly stress the only other mounting point at the rear of the hood/duct where it bolts to its mating duct that wraps around the rear of the intercooler.

Of course, to be fair, the hood/duct also had some foam mounted underneath originally from the factory, but as others have discovered this foam has long since turned to dust. So maybe that foam played the part of cushioning any movement well enough. One could also replace this foam.

But I also thought it made sense to look into some bushings for the front mounting pins as it's just been bugging me every time I see those pins floating free..

So after that long introduction, I found some rubber grommets that fit the diameter of the pins and the holes in the receiving bracket (part 10 in the diagram) perfectly.

The shape of the grommet (square versus rounded shoulders) probably makes no difference, but the ones I found have square shoulders.

The dimensions in inches are 1/4 x 1/2 x 1/4 x 5/16 groove

Attached Thumbnails Bushing grommet for "XJR6 Supercharged" intake hood/duct-sd5879.png   Bushing grommet for "XJR6 Supercharged" intake hood/duct-intake-2a.jpg  
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by al_roethlisberger:
aholbro1 (03-20-2017), Scotlad (03-19-2017), snowball (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

None of mine are XJR's, thus I don't have a dog in this hunt....but Al, did you happen to notice how those compare in size to the upper condenser bushes?

Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
None of mine are XJR's, thus I don't have a dog in this hunt....but Al, did you happen to notice how those compare in size to the upper condenser bushes?
These tiny grommets are 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick, so the condenser bushings are several times larger... giant in comparison.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Just want to say thanks, just the remains of the grommets were left. Had a small assortment pkg. of grommets in stock and replacement mine tis morning.
Snowball

Old 03-21-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by snowball
Just want to say thanks, just the remains of the grommets were left. Had a small assortment pkg. of grommets in stock and replacement mine tis morning.
Snowball
Ah, so you can confirm that the hood pins or bracket did have grommets/bushings originally? If so, that would be the first evidence I've seen.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:54 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes Looked like soft rubber grommets.
Snowball

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up Thanks for the confirmation!

Originally Posted by snowball
Yes Looked like soft rubber grommets.
Snowball
Excellent! I knew not having grommets/bushings couldn't have been on purpose. Just didn't make sense.