XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Buying an X300

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an X300

I've been eyeing the X300 for some time, almost pulled the trigger
a year ago but the seller was a bit... shall we say sketchy.

Anyway, we've moved and got everything sorted and settled, I've got
enough spare time to indulge in a car change, and the BMW is making
a very good case for its own retirement. Its replacement shall
be the X300. I have not decided on which in particular, thought I'd
prefer it to not be a V12. So 3.2, 4.0, charged, or not... whichever
you advise. Mechanically, the Jaguars and Daimlers are the same
anyway, right?

From what I've read, the X300 is a more solid choice than the X308
(is this accurate?) and since you lot have the expertise, I'd like to ask
you to what specifically I have to pay attention when looking at an X300.

For example, my wife's W124 is known to rust around the jack ports and
behind the Sacco boards, my BMW is known to... well, fail spectacularly
and frequently. So, what advice can you spare me for avoiding a bad kitty?

Any help is much appreciated

Old 02-02-2016, 05:27 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

WEEEEEEEELL.

Earth" is a pretty big location, but NO help with the question you ask.

Different markets have different issues.

Based on the mention of the 3.2ltr engine, I know its NOT US of A.

My 3.2 was and still is awesome. Such a sweet engine, plenty of grunt, and the non-electronic transmission is so easy to live with. NO traction control to go hissy, just a simple, simple car.

The V12 and the R both use the electronic 4L80E, 4 speed TH400 unit.

Its a 20ish year old car, so it will have issues, simply from age, care (lack of mainly), and so on.

My pick would be the V12, but I am biased to that engine in a very sad way.

The R version would be nice, but you would have to prepared to get your hands dirty to get one right up to spec, and then the enjoyment would be HUGE.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

I have owned my 97 XJR for a little over two years. I can't imagine any car being any more reliable. The ONLY thing that has gone bad in two years is the CKPS. Knowing what I do now, if I were to buy another, I would replace it just because magnets lose their magnativity with heat and time.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (02-02-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 02:57 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I own a Daimler Six and an XJR 306, both great cars.
Rust is your worst enemy (sills!), and check the electrics.

I would go for the 4.0, good bottom power and strangely better economics.
No hassle about economics? Go for the XJR! Love it to bits.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:54 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I would go for the 4L, and I personally prefer the boxwood trim on the Vanden Plas/Daimler models (which are all 4.0!). The electronic transmission is very smooth and surprisingly rugged, just make sure your fuel pump/filter, air filter, and MAF sensor are kept fresh along with the gearbox itself. I would love to try out an XJR, however, I know already that supercharger whine is not particularly up my alley--I guess it depends on how you like your induction noise. I assure you that the AJ16 is a very lush sounding engine, and it's almost like you can hear the power being perfectly transmitted... no guessing games with that flat torque curve, either.

You'll love the car. I really can't recommend any model over the other, as they all have some unique air about them.

Problem areas:
For rust, really, the only place there is ANY on the frame of my car, is the rear wheel arches--thank you, Ford--and this is a 21 year old Canadian car, mind you. Whatever Jaguar did to make these rustproof, it worked wonders. If you choose a lighter colour, I would definitely check the arches. And a tip to maintain rust-freeness: clean out the "sill" behind the arches regularly, as they collect dirt and moisture.

There are a few buyers' guides floating around, so I'll just give you a few problems that have arisen in one year of ownership.
-illumination control module fried itself; flickering lights turned into permanent lights and a dead battery one morning
-"dead bulb" warning always on; after replacing the parking light on the left headlamp, it remains lit at half dimness. Not really a big deal.
-brake booster is dying and will intermittently fail until engine is warmed up (suspect it's the diaphragm inside contracting and forming a leak when cold)

Hasn't come close to leaving me stranded. I've had a few stalls when coming to a stop, which I'm pretty sure were from the leak in the brake booster drawing too much vacuum and thus making the ECU hiccup. Car started up fine again every time. What I'm trying to say is that you might have a few small glitches, but these cars are absolute tanks; pick a pretty one, get your hands dirty a few times, and enjoy.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 AM

Keep the advice coming!

I really appreciate all the input. So maintenance history is key, as
with just about any car, corrosion can be a problem if the previous
owner hasn't taken care of the sills (a sealing treatment in all the
cavities and such would probably not be a bad idea either, no) and possibly
some electrics.

Overall, I do get the impression that the X300 is a reliable and pleasant
choice. I've got to admit, it's the second most comfortable car in which
I've ever had the privilege to sit. The not very distant first would be the
Rolls Royce Dawn but budget-wise... X300

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
The R version would be nice, but you would have to prepared to get your hands dirty to get one right up to spec, and then the enjoyment would be HUGE.
Care to elaborate what you mean? Most used cars here (Switzerland,
I've fixed the location) seem to be in rather good shape anyway,
especially if freshly inspected for roadworthyness (a biennial
event for all cars).

Old 02-03-2016, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Lots of good info for prospective buyers can be found in the stickies.....
Good luck in your search.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I had an X300/XJR a number of years. Great car. I drove it from 30k to 179k miles and it never once made me walk home!

However, it was not a pleasure cruise the entire way. As much as I enjoyed the car it *did* have some problems....mostly small but sometimes frustrating.

- replace steering tilt motor
-replace 2 front wheel bearings
-repair door latch switch, right front
-replace trans mount and spring
-replace power steering return hose
-replace one oxy sensor
-replace intercooler pump
-replace brake light switch
-replace rear wheel bearing, right side
-replace differential
-replace water pump
-replace air injection pump
-replace idler pulleys
-replace both exhaust manifolds
-replace starter
-replace 4 seat heaters
-replace trans solenoids and speed sensors
-repair broken sub woofer speaker
-replace gas gauge sender
-replace multiple ignition coils
-replace antenna mast
-repair door latch switch, left rear
-replace radio (several times)
-clean throttle body (2x)
-replace radiator upper mounts
-replace crank sensor
-replace cam cover gasket
-replace trunk lid supports
-replace u-joints
-replace center bearing on driveshaft
-replace water pump (again)
-replace harmonic balancer (re-bonded)
-replace alternator
-replace 2 fuel injectors
-various repairs for misfires

Obviously I haven't included normal wear-and-tear items and routine services.

I'd still recommend and X300 but my review isn't quite so glowing as some others. And, as good as the X300s are, they're all getting old enough where the gloss can be a bit dulled with age and wear.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-03-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
I had an X300/XJR a number of years. Great car. I drove it from 30k to 179k miles and it never once made me walk home!

However, it was not a pleasure cruise the entire way. As much as I enjoyed the car it *did* have some problems....mostly small but sometimes frustrating.

- replace steering tilt motor
-replace 2 front wheel bearings
-repair door latch switch, right front

[...]

-replace alternator
-replace 2 fuel injectors
-various repairs for misfires

Obviously I haven't included normal wear-and-tear items and routine services.

I'd still recommend and X300 but my review isn't quite so glowing as some others. And, as good as the X300s are, they're all getting old enough where the gloss can be a bit dulled with age and wear.

Cheers
DD

I need to find one where all of this was done, too

Old 02-03-2016, 12:42 PM

How does the X300 compare to the XJ40? I hear the X300 is better than the X308,
so we'll just leave that comparison.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I have owned several of each, the X-300 and X-308. I would not summarily agree that "X300 is better than X308". Better is a subjective word On this forum, the X-300 will get the higher accolades, but you will find a different response on the X-308 forum.
BTW, neither would I say that the X-308 is better in all respects to the X-300.

1. On average, the X-300s are 5 years older than the X-308s
2. The suspension in an X-300 is more primative, resulting in a mushier ride.
3. The X-308 has more power
4. There are a bunch of "snigglies" in an X-300 that can be troublesome to diagnose and fix, (see Doug's list, it is representative)
ALTHOUGH,
5. The X-308 has more major weak spots like chain tensioners and transmission A-drums,
(both correctable)
6. The interior styling on the X-308 is (subjectively) superior.
7. In may case anyway, using X-308s and X-300s as daily drivers, the death knell in each case was appearance. Back to X-300s being older.
8. My experience is that either can give good service to well over 200,000. miles and can be an economical means to a euro sports car, IF YOU DO MOST OR ALL OF THE SERVICE YOURSELF.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress

aholbro1 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Hehe, let me take some liberties with Ross' comments:
Having grown up in KY, lived a significant #years in FL, and even more in TX, I can assure you that "Mushier" is a deep-South contraction meaning "much more comfortable!"
Despite greater power in the X308, both models produce 290lb-ft of torque, which I've always maintained is the key to "drivability" - gobs of low-end Torque and a flat curve.
Count me on the opposite side of #6 - I won't try to tell you "Superior" as used in the deep South means "uglier." Disclosure: I've neither owned nor driven an X308. But for the longest time, I thought the interior was copied from the S-Type. They ARE practically identical, but since our first Jag was the 03 S for the daughter, followed by an 05 for the wife (then and only then the 3 X300's) it only recently occurred to me that the interior was launched in the X308 for MY98.....and didn't debut on the "S" until MY03!

Although there are exterior styling cues that are different between X308/X300, you practically have to be a trained observer to pick them out. It really boils down to which engine/xmsn combo you prefer and whether you are comfortable with a "20 yr old Jag" vs. a "15 yr old" one. I started a thread, "Most common problems" or some such that should pop easy in a search, and there is an excellent buyer's guide in the stickies. I suspect you can find similar fare in the X308 forum.

When mine wears out..... I'll begin a search for a pristine, "low-mileage" X300 replacement.... but as I hope and think that is some years distant, I imagine it will quickly shift to an X308 search and I don't really have any heartburn about that. Hey, maybe i'll find a Super-V8! I don't really fancy the styling nor air suspension of the X350 series, though....

Old 02-03-2016, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Come now, aholbro.

What some of us in the south call extreme mushiness is "the Boulevard Ride". I am not suggesting the X-300 qualifies quite like that, but it has more float and less road feel than the X-308. At least my two old tired ones were that way!

aholbro1 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

OK, timely post here as a pal's pal is selling his grey-green x300 VDP for $2k, 104k on it and well maintained by him at least. No history, need 1 rear shock bush but all else is well he said. Ans he's a reliable friend of a friend. Been in market forever for an x350 but maybe I can wet my toes with this one for a local driver with vintage snob appeal. Any thoughts?

Old 02-19-2016, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by jeffn
OK, timely post here as a pal's pal is selling his grey-green x300 VDP for $2k, 104k on it and well maintained by him at least. No history, need 1 rear shock bush but all else is well he said. Ans he's a reliable friend of a friend. Been in market forever for an x350 but maybe I can wet my toes with this one for a local driver with vintage snob appeal. Any thoughts?
I would go for it. Definitely. Make sure to buy a crank position sensor as they usually fail at the 100k mark (unless they've replaced it). We can help you with any other little bugs. My car cost less when I got it and had roughly 1.5x the mileage and I've loved every second of ownership.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:38 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Try Ebay item 231850918036. I don't have a copy but it may be worthwhile. I have done over 100k miles in my 4.0 XJ Sport and less in the other two. Lots of good advice already given. I broke one car as unrepairable due to corrosion. All along both sills and corroded through the bulkhead below the windscreen. I only bought it for the gearbox for my XJ Sport as it jumped out of 4th gear (manual box) Somewhere on this forum is a list of 50 odd things to look for on an X300. I copied it into a word document so if you can't find it I can I think re post it but it is not my list! Good luck

Old 02-20-2016, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the input! It seems cheap but a $2k jag can quickly become a $5k jag...at least it's from a friend's friend who seems quite upfront and fastidious-a pro jazz player who cherishes his horns-a good indicator.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by jeffn
Thanks for the input! It seems cheap but a $2k jag can quickly become a $5k jag...at least it's from a friend's friend who seems quite upfront and fastidious-a pro jazz player who cherishes his horns-a good indicator.
I think you're in the clear! I got mine from a British mechanic who failed to sell it at auction. It was his friend's car. Small things were neglected but the car runs as beautiful as ever. It hasn't become even a $3k jag yet and I'm redoing most of the suspension and getting new tires! Let us know how you find the car!

Old 02-22-2016, 11:19 PM

Sooo, here's the 1st pics of it. The roof and boot really need a respray. Some wear overall, cracked wheel wood finish etc. He never got the radio working and then the rear shock bushes that we know about. Maybe it's time to pony up and start out with less of a project. Thoughts? Note the checking on the trunk and roof.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:25 PM

And here 'tis.

Attached Thumbnails Buying an X300-20160222_153627.jpg   Buying an X300-20160222_153634.jpg  

Quick Reply: Buying an X300