XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Climate Control Fans Not Coming On

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Climate Control Fans Not Coming On - SOLVED Almost

Hi gang, I wanted everyone who read this post to know that the problem with my mirrors and tilt/telescopic not working was the Column/mirror CONTROL MODULE which lives on the left side of the steering column up inside the dash above the drivers left leg (Canada left leg).

Got another module as was suggested by AlbBolivar and so much thanks to him for recognizing the symptoms and suggesting simply replacing the module.

However, everything seems to work as in both mirrors and telescopic in out, EXCEPT my tilt will only tilt down and not go up. Arghhhhh, now I haven't checked the memory functions and I have the auto switch off so everything doesn't do anything when I switch the car off. I'm to afraid that the tilt will go down further then it is now which I don't want. So any suggestions as to where to go from here. Only thing not working is tilt up. And I really need that to work. Think it might be the tilt switch??

Looking for continued suggestions.

Last edited by Grant Eisworth; 02-22-2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Problem Solved just about
Old 02-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Grant,
I'm not sure to understand... Which fans are you referring?

My reference is the regular X300 (not XJR), but I assume it is the same:
The belt driving the a/c compressor is always on operation. It is a mechanism in the compressor that engages it and makes it spin. If the belt is off (meaning, no motion), it might be the tensioner, which tends to wear out (exaclty because it's operating all the time). It is easy to find new, regularly priced.
Of course that, without belt, the air conditioning will not work, but the regular ventilation should.

That said, it has also happened in my car that the climate control fan cannot be operated with the knob. Same as you describe. Shortly after it works again. I associated the problem to some electronic glitch, so common in that era. I have it on authomatic all the time, anyhow.

Jorge

Old 02-22-2015, 08:19 PM

Hi Jorge and thanks for your reply about my climate control fans. Just to be clear the fans I'm talking about are inside the car and are the main fans which blow heat and of course cool air when you have the air conditioning on. These are the heater fans. I can turn on my climate control and when I actually manually adjust the fan speed I can hear what I believe to be a solenoid click coming from the rear seat foot well (that's where the fuses are located and I checked them).

So as I said, I can adjust the temperature and all the setting seem to work and light up for face/foot controls on my climate control, just no fans at all. I understand there are 2 fans, one near driver front footwell up in the lower dash area, and another one near the passenger front footwell up in the lower dash as well.
Puzzling and need some suggestions as to where to begin to trouble shoot.

... Grant ...

Old 02-23-2015, 02:22 AM

Hi Grant,
Considering that my car experienced the same problem and "it fixed itself", I still think it may be a temporary fault of the electronics. If you know the radio codes, try to disconnect - connect the battery and check if it works. I have a 2012 Jeep and this procedure makes wonders!

I'm curious to see if others have better suggestions.

By the way, you have edited the original post updating about another problem you had. The sequence doesn't make too much sense now :-)

The following users liked this post:
Grant Eisworth (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 AM

Hey there Kleman:

Thanks so much for your reply to my post about my interior heater blowers not coming on. I'll try your suggestion - you just never know.

Also, about me editing my other post, my intention was to let people know that my problem is mostly solved. Especially those who responded. I've followed other posts sometimes and have been left hanging to see if a solution was found. It's kind of like reading a book with the last chapter missing.

What would be the proper procedure to let others know when a solution is found? Even with my blower motors for example. I'm bound and determined to get them working - can't drive in this climate without them. So I will want to let others know when I get them working again.

Thanks so much for your help ... Grant ...

Old 02-23-2015, 10:07 AM

Hi Grant,
I agree with you. It is very good to let people know about the solution. I wish all do that and I'm willing to see what it might be on this one.

Side comment:
My comment was because you put the "control / mirror control module" edit on this particular post, which refers to the climate control fan. If someone opens it, it doesn't make sense, because your first post became unrelated to the title and to the answers. Read it from the beginning and you will understand :-)

But it is no big deal. Myself, I'm not very disciplined. LOL

Regards,
Jorge

Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 PM

Hi Jorge:

You know what, I didn't realize I put the edit on this post. Man I know exactly what you mean. I've got to learn how to use this forum properly. Thanks so much for letting me know and point it out to me, otherwise I had no idea.

... Grant ...

Old 02-23-2015, 05:02 PM

Hi Grant,
I sent you a PM about that.

I'm curious: Did disconnecting the battery have any effect?

Regards,
Jorge

Old 02-23-2015, 09:42 PM

Hey Jorge:

I disconnected battery and hooked it up again, but to no avail. Heater Fans not coming on when I turn on the climate control. I'm going to try to see if there is power going to the fans. If not, I'll try to somehow connect power to one of the fans to see if it even works.

Man I'm completely lost as to how to edit this post. I see how I've messed it up, but I have no Idea how to fix it. Don't know how to edit or even read my messages it seems. I am not that computer literate which is probably pretty obvious.

I'll post my results as they happen.

... Grant ...

Old 02-25-2015, 01:25 PM

Okay folks continuing saga on my blower motors (inside car - heater fans/motors). I've checked the relays and all are okay, switched from my other XJR. I've checked fuses both location #11 on right and left kick panels under and in front of rear seat.

Both fuses good HOWEVER, NO POWER GOING TO FUSES ON EITHER SIDE WHEN CLIMATE CONTROL TURNED ON. These are 20 Amp fuses. But no power across terminals for fuses. I took them out and used a meter. I checked on my other XJR (identical car) and yes there is power going to both those fuses when climate control is turned on.

I can hear and feel the relays click when adjusting the fan speed on the climate control, and relays are good because switched with ones from my other XJR.

This is puzzling for sure, any ideas, I really do need these fans to come on, it's cold here in the Northwest (Vancouver BC Canada).

Thanks gang ... hope someone can help.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:47 PM

Okay, further update (if anyone is reading this). I just switched the climate control Amplifier with the one from my other XJR. Both amplifiers are good. Still no change. No heater/fan/blower motors. What else should I check, still no power to the #11 fuses in the rear kick panels (both sides). Relays all good (switched from other XJR).

And as I said, when I turn on the climate control on the dash, everything seems in order. Works identical to the other XJR in as much as I hear servo motors activating as well as I can adjust all functions and they light up properly. Display works just find and can adjust temperature up and down, and I hear relays click when manually adjusting fan speed (just like in the working XJR). Just no power to fans. Checked power at the resistor pack at the passenger blower motor and nothing. Blue/white wire to ground - no power, Orange wire to blue/white - no power/voltage.

Please any input is appreciated ... Grant ...

Old 02-26-2015, 03:53 AM

Hi Grant,
Can you hear the fans working when you have the A/C in authomatic mode?
Regards,
Jorge

Old 02-26-2015, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Grant,
I'm rushing at the moment, so haven't spent much time on this, but it occurs to me that when I start the car from cold, the fans don't come on until there is some heat in the coolant. I guess this makes the interior more comfortable by not blowing air until there is at least some warmth in it. So, it is several minutes before the fans come on, at least when set in "Auto", so there must be some sort of thermostatic control. I don't know whether the same applies to the manual fan control, but I will check when I have a minute. Might be relevant?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 AM

HI, thanks for your reply's. I make sure the car is nice and warm, but the problem is no power at all to the fuses or fans. Relays click as they do on my other XJR.

Even when I turn the climate control to Auto Air Conditioning there are no blower fans coming on and no power to fans or fuses. I've tried all functions on the climate control panel and although it displays correctly and I can hear the servo motors actuating when I press for feet, or head, or defrost. But no fans coming on.

Very puzzling - any ideas.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Grant,
can you make the fans operate by wiring a supply directly to them?

Old 02-26-2015, 02:38 PM

Hope this is my final update and possibly a workaround if anyone else has issues identical to mine.

I solved my problem with my interior heater blowers/fans not coming on. What I did was to disconnect the plug that has a blue/white wire and an orange wire which goes to the passenger side (right Canadian side) Heater motor/fan. I then bypass the Blue/white wire going to the Heater motor/fan, and ran a power wire direct from my cigarette lighter to the Heater motor/fan and connected it to the Blue/white wire on the connector that is attached to the Heater motor/fan. Then I jumpered the orange wire on the connector piece (which also contains a resistor), to the orange wire on the Heater motor/fan. This gave me all the functions just as it should.

Then I did the same procedure to the Heater motor/fan on the drivers (left side Canadian) side. Only there was a Blue/pink wire and of course an orange wire (which also contains a resistor).

Now both fans come on and run just fine. They power down as they should when switched off. They have speed adjustment, and the auto air conditioning function works just fine. Also shuts off when I turn car off.

Hope this workaround has solved my problem and doesn't cause any other problems. Will update this posting if something goes awry.

The following users liked this post:
Kleman (03-01-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

So were the original power wires broken?

Old 02-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
So were the original power wires broken?
Hey there AL - I have NO IDEA what the problem was/is. This is just a workaround I found on this forum. I'm not even going to attempt to trace it. Just wayyyyy over my head for sure.

All I know is that this works and unless it causes other problems, I'll live with it. That is until/unless someone else ever experiences similar problem and finds the actual cause.

... Grant ...

Old 06-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Climate Control Fans not Coming On

Hi Al and Grant. Came across this post after pulling my right side blower unit out. Went thru all the procedures as previously discussed and found all fuses, relays and blower motor working fine. Found a circuit diagram for the system which I will attach to this reply. It shows the blue/white wire going to the right side blower and it shows it comes from the low speed relay in the right side heelboard. This low speed relay should supply 12 volts from the F12 fuse in the fuse block in the same heelboard. So as Grant determined, when you supply 12 volts to the green multiplug everything works fine. So, I guess there is some break in the wire from the relay to the multiplug. I choose to cut the blue/white wire just after the relay and ran a new wire from the back to just before the green multiplug. ( taking the old wire completely out of the circuit.

Now everything works as it should.

I also did the same thing for the left side blower, but in this case it is a blue/red wire coming from the left blower low speed relay ( also in the right heelboard although the fuse for this blower is in the left heelboard) which I bypassed with a new wire.

This is just an old guy adding some new info to an old post about an old Jag!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Blower diagram.pdf (283.1 KB, 95 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by jagfan47:
al_roethlisberger (06-08-2016), Grant Eisworth (06-09-2016)