XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Closed loop lambda control

Old 08-28-2017, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

https://nanocom-diagnostics.com/down...ocom-evolution

This is for the sister Lucas GEMS 8 , see section on fueling for close loop and 2 or 4 sensor configuations

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
p38-gems-nanocom-evolution.pdf (88.5 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 08-28-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that thread at some point when I decided to get rid off front cats. There is no decisive answer if removing the cats affects the fueling.

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope

Old 08-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

What have you looked at beside the exhaust stream that may be effecting your Lambda numbers ? Vacuum leaks ?

Old 08-28-2017, 03:12 PM

I Think vacuum leaks are no issue here. At least not yet. The problem is that car never goes into closed loop. After it goes to closed loop and if we then have lean situation then I would start looking vacuum leaks.

What have you looked at beside the exhaust stream that may be effecting your Lambda numbers ? Vacuum leaks ?

Old 08-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

I concur with that statement. The oxygen sensors need to be "at temperature" for them to check their box to allow the ECU to go open loop.

Coolant Temp has to reach a certain temp to check their box.

Air Sensor has to take readings within range to check their box.

Finally the Throttle Potentiometer has to be within range to check their box.

I wonder if the oxygen sensors are not reading that they are in temperature range. I know they are taking readings, but are they able to convince the ECU that they have met the temperature requirement? I wonder if there is a faulty relay or fuse that drives the sensor heaters?

Check the Blue Wire with Pink Stripe fed by ECU pin position 189-4. That's the heater circuit for your downstream sensors. They should read 12V with the key in the on position and swing between 0v and 6v with the engine running. I'd take a reading at the oxygen sensors, first with the key in the on position, then with the engine running.

Last edited by Vee; 08-28-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:59 PM

I'll test oxygen sensor heater circuit tomorrow. I'm waiting for my Mongoose cable to diagnose car with IDS.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Black 4 for ground inside ECU for downstream sensors

Black 30 for ground inside ECU for upstream sensors

Power being sucked down by the Japan wire ?

Check the Papa Indy 61 connector for common corrosion located below washer filler cap

Attached Thumbnails Closed loop lambda control-x300-o2-heaters.png   Closed loop lambda control-x300-heater-fuse-untitled.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 08-28-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:55 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

The WN Wire is shown as having 12v with key on. Key off, circuit should be open.

Worth checking while you're there.

Last edited by Vee; 08-29-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

You can swap the king relays in the left and right engine fuse boxes for they may show voltage but have a pitted contact not allowing enough current . Clean the ECU case ground as well as the grounds on the upper left and right on the rear engine firewall . The O2 sensor is very sensitive intelligence carrying signal so it's shielding ground is important . The large ground right by the starter gives the engine problems although it looks OK it's whats under the hardware . All the power to the heaters go through the Papa Indy 61 connector so don't neglect looking at it . I cut mine out and threw it away replacing with splices it looked so bad and not wanting to see it give future problems . This is someone else pics of the Papa Indy 1 connector next to the 61 as the black one . I put a red arrow on the White/Green stripe wire that is your heater . You can jumper wire around the connector for that wire . The one below that is your smog pump . # 4 is your all 6 coils power source wire through the coils to the timed 6 grounds in the ECU .

Attached Thumbnails Closed loop lambda control-jaguar-8ecmplug1.jpg   Closed loop lambda control-jaguar-8ecmplugpins.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 08-29-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-30-2017, 04:46 PM

Hi. Thanks for good suggestions. I'll check all those.
Is it possible to reset Fuel Trim and AFM adaptations with IDS ? I found the TPS and Oxygen sensor calibrations from there, but I couldn't find reset for those adaptations.
I'm still waiting for my Mongoose adapter so I'm learning the IDS software.

You can swap the king relays in the left and right engine fuse boxes for they may show voltage but have a pitted contact not allowing enough current . Clean the ECU case ground as well as the grounds on the upper left and right on the rear engine firewall . The O2 sensor is very sensitive intelligence carrying signal so it's shielding ground is important . The large ground right by the starter gives the engine problems although it looks OK it's whats under the hardware . All the power to the heaters go through the Papa Indy 61 connector so don't neglect looking at it . I cut mine out and threw it away replacing with splices it looked so bad and not wanting to see it give future problems . This is someone else pics of the Papa Indy 1 connector next to the 61 as the black one . I put a red arrow on the White/Green stripe wire that is your heater . You can jumper wire around the connector for that wire . The one below that is your smog pump . # 4 is your all 6 coils power source wire through the coils to the timed 6 grounds in the ECU .

Old 08-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

I haven't used anything beyond the Fluke meter and ELM327 on her so I don't have a working understanding of the IDS

Old 08-31-2017, 05:32 PM

I don't know if all these are related or not, but today I noticed when I walked by the car in darkness, that instrument cluster was illuminated. Car had been standing doors locked for couple of hours. I removed the battery cable so it doesn't drain the battery.
Week ago battery was totally flat in the morning so might have been same thing.
Also I've been drying the passenger side floor as there was inch of water probably coming from air conditioner so I have to clean those drain tubes also.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 365 Posts

I am assuming your car is LHD, so passenger side is the side where the ECU is located. Water in the footwell could perhaps be from the aircon, but could be windscreen or sunroof leak, which would entail the water going past/ over the ECU. It would be worth checking to ensure that it is thoroughly dry and connections clean before any further electrical troubleshooting is attempted....

Old 09-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

If you establish that you do have a leak, around the windscreen area, remove the plastic panel and wiper arm to check the scuttle panel, mine had a pea size rust hole in it and was letting in a lot of water.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Water on floor was coming from air conditioner so no water damage to ECU.
I got my Mongoose cable and SDD v131 with IDS.
However I can't read codes from car. IDS always gives the error code 0x22 to all groups. Should MongoosePro cable work with MY95 X300 ?

Last edited by janimaki; 09-07-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by janimaki
Water on floor was coming from air conditioner so no water damage to ECU.
I got my Mongoose cable and SDD v131 with IDS.
However I can't read codes from car. IDS always gives the error code 0x22 to all groups. Should MongoosePro cable work with MY95 X300 ?
Do you have a real Mongoose from Drew, or is it a clone?

I had issues with my clone connecting. It would do it every once in awhile and then even then it wouldn't necessarily pick up tranny codes....it was a real pain to get to work.

I don't know if it's in my head, but when I hit the read codes button, I would have the key in the off position, and then about a second after giving the command, I would them turn the car on. It seemed to increase my chances of making a connection.

I had to go through a number of IDS versions before I got one that worked. I forget which one, but I went through 134, 131 and 130. I want to say it was the 131 that worked

Old 11-13-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

How's your efforts finding the problem?

I would strongly recommend to check the lambda sensors heater circuit.

I had very similar problems and in my case thats was the problem.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Default Problem is still on

I just stored the car for winter. I have tested the lambda heater circuit with DMM and they seem to be OK.
I'm also suspecting coils as they are cracked.
I have been trying to get IDS to communicate with car, but it seems to be not working. I'm using cloned Mongoose adapter.

Originally Posted by RB_jaguar
How's your efforts finding the problem?

I would strongly recommend to check the lambda sensors heater circuit.

I had very similar problems and in my case thats was the problem.