XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Cracked manifold repair options

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Lightbulb Cracked manifold repair options

Ran across the following post as a cheap fix for our crack prone OEM cast iron exhaust manifolds:

https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f...+repair#p86866

by TheButlerDidIt » Thu May 02, 2013 9:49 pm

My manifold is still leak free and working well after its treatment with the "Inglenook fire cement" - cost about three quid for a kilo tub from Wilko's. Remove the heat shield and wire brush the crack, run the engine for a couple of minutes to warm the manifold, turn off and spray some water around the crack area from a hand spray gun until the water starts to "stick" rather than evaporate. Then carefully and with gloves, push the paste into the crack and build up the area over the crack, filling the area between the bulges. Smooth over with a damp finger and allow to dry for a couple of hours and hay presto - done. Still got about 950g for future cracks, or for the repair of bells if required.

The good news is that although the repair isn't very pretty, you can't see it once the heat shield is back on.

Although many of us would prefer to have some nice stainless custom headers, other priorities such as funds and availability make that a less likely option.

This "Inglenook fire cement" seems to be a UK specific brand, but fortunately it is just a boiler flue cement that one can get anywhere. Would be curious to see how well this fix holds up over time.

Any idea how hot the XJ6 manifolds actually are at a maximum?

Another potential option:

BlueMagic

BlueMagic

Amazon.com: Blue Magic 18003 QuikSteel High Temperature Metal Repair Blister Card - 3 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Blue Magic 18003 QuikSteel High Temperature Metal Repair Blister Card - 3 oz.: Automotive

Fix exhaust manifold crack with ThermoSteel

QuikSteel high temperature metal repair. Welds holes in iron and steel. Strength increase with heat. For use with exhaust manifolds, tail pipes, boilers, stoves, barbeques, and more.
Withstands temeratures to 2400 Degree F
Welds Holes and cracks in iron and steel
Strength increases with heat
Repair furnaces, BBQ's or any high heat item

....and on a different note:

exaust manifold crack welding? - Miller Welding Discussion Forums

Old 03-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Any idea how hot the XJ6 manifolds actually are at a maximum?

I have measured exhaust has temps on a 4.2 XK working hard and I exceeded my gauge's maximum of 1100C. Typical values on highway cruise was between 600-750C

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:28 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cracked exhaust manifold.

When I bought my x300 over two years ago now, the front manifold of the two was quite badly cracked, I welded it up with a simple straightforward portable MIG welder, no special welding wire, when I checked a Couple or so weeks ago (removed the heat shield) all was still ok. I've attempted to weld a few manifolds over the years some successful some not, I found my x300 manifold very welder friendly in fact I wondered what it is actually made of as it welded up just like mild steel! The flat surface face was badly warped which didn't get any worse after welding so I had that machined flat again, I did grind out the crack and drilled two relief holes either end, I welded up a small run at a time (about half an inch or so ) and let it cool almost to the touch between welds. I'm not saying this is the correct way of doing this job or others will find their manifolds as easy to weld up, but this is how I done mine.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (03-27-2016)