XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:48 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

here are two photos of my pod filter. It is the wrong diameter (68 mm not 76mm) but it fits and does the job.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines-img_3769.jpg   DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines-img_3770.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
sbc (02-06-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK thanks Al. I had a crack at mounting mine the way the way your photos showed and I just wasn't happy trying to stretch the filter, I was sure I would going to break something... So I went to my local motorsport shop, picked up a short piece of 3" pipe which fits perfectly in the K&N plus a straight 3" silicone joiner and two beefy clamps. The silicone joiner stretched easily over the AFM, so I cut a small notch in it to allow for the lug on the AFM and clamped the bugger down tight, I don't think there is much chance of it going astray. Looks cool too!

Thanks everyone for your help. The car makes an astonishingly cool induction growl now, I think it was worth it just for that! Feels quicker too, but I need to test that before I can say for sure. I will post some numbers when the timing bracket shows up....

Attached Thumbnails DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines-2014-02-06-10.38.52-copy.jpg  
sbc (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by zathras
The car makes an astonishingly cool induction growl now, I think it was worth it just for that! Feels quicker too, but I need to test that before I can say for sure. I will post some numbers when the timing bracket shows up....
We'd love to hear the "after" growl. Plus, why not post some numbers before/after the new bracket.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
We'd love to hear the "after" growl. Plus, why not post some numbers before/after the new bracket.
I will see if I can record the sound and post it here

I did test my times before and after the K&N, if there is a difference then it is buried in the range of times I recorded so clearly my (lack of) technique is more of a factor than then filter. Oh well, at least it sounds cool!

I am also testing on what we in aviation would describe (temp wise) as a standard day + 10 degrees so that probably slows me down a little. If I was not lazy I would work out the density altitude too....

Last edited by zathras; 02-08-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
Right, so I was knocking around the other day and recorded a bit of growling on my dash cam, it's not the best but if you turn it up you can sort of hear it

mgb4tim (02-10-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

you bad Hamilbogan! speeding around Ham East like that!
My old commute to work for 5 years - Ham East to hospital.

that sound would be even better if we got some of Doc's extractors across from Oz. Are you interested?

Old 02-08-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by AL NZ
you bad Hamilbogan! speeding around Ham East like that!
My old commute to work for 5 years - Ham East to hospital.

that sound would be even better if we got some of Doc's extractors across from Oz. Are you interested?
Ha! I might be a better bogan if the Jag was painted matt black and had a Chevy in it.

Those extractors would be awesome, but the Jag currently feels like a thousand rattles all flying in formation so have more urgent things to take care of.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default bracket with high mileage engine

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
I have a couple of brackets left before I have to make another batch, if anyone wants one now.
I am considering ordering you part. I started to just email you the question but I figured others may have the same question so I figured I would post it.

I have a 95 XJ6 4.0 NA. The only thing that I've done to the engine is replace the catalytic converters and it's going into the shop in a couple of days for a bad oil leak. It's assumed that it needs a new rear main seal.

What will happen if I use you bracket on my car which has 291,000+ miles on it? I would hate to make a change that would cause a major problem down the road.

Thanks,

Harold

Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

The mileage of your engine should not be a problem. It may have a slightly higher compression ratio and tendancy to knock due build up of deposits in the combustion chamber. Be sure to use fuel which is at least 90 pump octane (95 Research Octane Number). The engine management system has a knock control system to prevent the engine from knocking. I sense that you are probably an owner who doesn't spend all his time hard against the rev limiter. If you are just after a bit of improved low speed response and better fuel economy, then you should be fine.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You are right in a few things. I'm an OTR truck driver so I control my speed desires to protect my drivers license. Now that's not to say that some punk in his low riding, loud, rice burner doesn't **** me off and gets put in his place from time to time.

I also only run 91 octane. Here is Phoenix I pay about $3.45 a gallon. Except for monthly road trips, 600 miles round trip, most of my driving is around town so low speed, stop light to stop light, and better fuel mileage is what I'm after.

According to the trip computer I'm at 19.8 MPG on 480 miles. Of that 480 miles 200 of it is road trip at about 70 MPH so I don't think my mileage is really that bad.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 PM

Help!

I fitted Andy's bracket but now my car won't run! Doesn't want to start but if it does start it sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders and the revs go up and down at idle but it stalls if i press the go pedal

What could I have done wrong? I am feeling rather useless right now that such a simple operation turns to **** so badly for me...

Cheers

Chris

Old 02-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Chris, when it is cranking....are any turns registering on the tach? Andy's bracket just repositions the crank-sensor. They do have a history of going out from time to time. If all you did was put the new bracket on...first, carefully check your wiring at the crank sensor...particularly if you unplugged it, then check that the sensor is properly seated in the new bracket (mine had some dried crud on it, maybe oil, and I had to clean it up with a wire brush just to get it into the new bracket. So double-check your installation, but it could be yours was ready to go and jiggling it about was all it needed. If no revs show while cranking, I believe that is a classic symptom of a failed crank sensor.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Chris, when it is cranking....are any turns registering on the tach? Andy's bracket just repositions the crank-sensor. They do have a history of going out from time to time. If all you did was put the new bracket on...first, carefully check your wiring at the crank sensor...particularly if you unplugged it, then check that the sensor is properly seated in the new bracket (mine had some dried crud on it, maybe oil, and I had to clean it up with a wire brush just to get it into the new bracket. So double-check your installation, but it could be yours was ready to go and jiggling it about was all it needed. If no revs show while cranking, I believe that is a classic symptom of a failed crank sensor.
Thanks

It's very sunny out and hard to see but it does look like it may not be perfectly seated, probably gunk. I will take it out and try to clean it, thanks for that. The tach doesn't show anything while cranking but I don't believe mine ever did. Comes to life when it fires up tho.

Will update when I can lay my hands on a brush.

Cheers

Chris

Old 02-14-2014, 11:49 PM

Ok so it looks like half a milimetre of grime can really ruin your day. Sigh. Starts and runs now, will go take it for a spin now. Thanks for the assistance

Cheers

Chris

Old 02-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

I gave you a slight bum-steer...looks like I used sandpaper instead of a wire brush...see my post #57 in this thread.
Glad you got it sorted. To be honest...I always forget to check the tach while cranking...and it doesn't crank very long til it lights...so I couldn't say whether mine registers a coupla-hundred revs whilst cranking or not...but that, and hard starting are a couple of symptoms that have been tossed about for impending crank-sensor failure.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:52 AM

Well thank goodness it wasn't the sensor, I have to be at work 9am Sunday so I would be screwed. Anyway it runs really well thankfully. Pulls like a schoolboy!

Old 02-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, the big question is....

Where can I get one of these trigger brackets for my '97 xjr6... Just bought it for a nurburgring trip, what a car but needs a little more oomph!

JP

Old 02-17-2014, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jammapic
So, the big question is....

Where can I get one of these trigger brackets for my '97 xjr6... Just bought it for a nurburgring trip, what a car but needs a little more oomph!

JP
See post #225 in this thread

Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

You can email me direct on andystodart@metronet.co.uk for more details.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought i'd offer my two cents worth here, as some in previous posts on this thread wanted clarification on the Andybracket. In just driving it around the block (30/40mph) I can feel a marked difference in responsiveness, I am almost sure its a little quicker and my rough idle is somewhat less so now. £70 well worth spent. I will have to see if economy is affected, but hope to think it will be. Thank you Andy.

XJ-Executive (09-10-2016)

Quick Reply: DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines