XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Engine shudders when shut off

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shudders when shut off

Well long story short, my neighbors are a**holes. No one in our area likes them, but I live right next to them so it's up to me to deal with their bull. I've had my driver side window busted out 3 times in the past 1 1/2 months, twice caught on video. Today however, I get to work, shut off the car and my engine shutters. It hasn't been doing this. I have 1/8 tank of gas. Work is a 20 min drive. It's 46% humidity today and we've had lots of rain the past week, not sure if that correlates to the problem. The car is a 97 xj6 and I noticed when locked the gas tank cover has a little play in it. Does anyone else's x300 gas cover have play in it when locked? Is a shuddering engine a symptom of putting water or other liquids in the tank? Any and all opinions/directing me to a similar thread would be helpful.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

When the fuel level is low with alot of empty tank sheet metal exposed it is most susceptible to condensation putting water in the fuel , worst case being winter freezing of the fuel lines as the water settles to the bottom . The cover should not be an issue as long as you have a sealing fuel cap . Suggest burn the fuel off and refresh before doing anything more and keep in mind winter operations with a full tank of gas preventing the same setup causing headaches . There is a cover cavity drain line that may be clogged and building water back up to the level of the cap seal itself letting water in . A free EVAP check at the auto parts store with their OBD 2 tester may show if it is sealing on the cap .

As to your neighbor on the film remind them you know how to drain the engine oil and trick ( don't tell him how ) the oil light to not show as they ruin their engine out on the road stranded in traffic calling a tow truck . Easy to do . Next move is their wallet . Remind him , stupid is what stupid does . Remind him , your move will prove the point .

You could leave his oil in a cheap oil pan from the dollar store on the hood of his car with a note not handwritten but typed telling him your move . What you do with the plug is your option .

Other then that with the film in claims court you have a clear case on that wallet .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 10-17-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I ask about the cover to the gas cap is because I believe they might of pried it open and put water in. I will admit I'm partly paranoid.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Is he a person that tweets alot then I would be afraid , very afraid