XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

First 97xjr...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts
Default First 97xjr...

Hey guys. Just picked up a 97xjr for a pretty good price with a few issues that I need to solve.
Most important one is... While driving on the freeway and going uphill the car doesn't seem to shift down or do anything. Rpms stay at around 2k even while I'm flooring the car
Second issue is... While traction control is on the pedal seems to kind of push back against my foot and thump against it. Is that normal? With my 96 xj6 I never had that issue

All the little minor issues are things that come with buying a used jaguar so it's not too much of an issue just yet. Just want to get those two main things sorted out.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
Hey guys. Just picked up a 97xjr for a pretty good price with a few issues that I need to solve.
Most important one is... While driving on the freeway and going uphill the car doesn't seem to shift down or do anything. Rpms stay at around 2k even while I'm flooring the car

I'd begin with something easy like checking for a clogged fuel filter.

Second issue is... While traction control is on the pedal seems to kind of push back against my foot and thump against it. Is that normal?
Well, the push back is certainly normal. Thump? Not so sure. Mine has a sort of vibrating sensation when pushing back but I wouldn't call it a thump.

With my 96 xj6 I never had that issue

And it had traction control as well?

Cheers
DD

Old 06-11-2014, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
I'd begin with something easy like checking for a clogged fuel filter.

Well, the push back is certainly normal. Thump? Not so sure. Mine has a sort of vibrating sensation when pushing back but I wouldn't call it a thump.

And it had traction control as well?

Cheers
DD
I'll pick up a fuel filter tomorrow and see if that helps.

I guess it is a vibrating sensation, is it really that effective to where it feels like I have to give about 10-15lbs of force?

Yes my XJ6 has traction control (I thought they all did via abs?) but although when flooring it in fourth gear it would eventually kickdown to 3rd after a second or two. Could it just be an adjustment of the kickdown switch under the pedal?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
I'll pick up a fuel filter tomorrow and see if that helps.

I guess it is a vibrating sensation, is it really that effective to where it feels like I have to give about 10-15lbs of force?

Yeah, that sounds about right

Yes my XJ6 has traction control (I thought they all did via abs?)

TC was optional on the XJ6

but although when flooring it in fourth gear it would eventually kickdown to 3rd after a second or two. Could it just be an adjustment of the kickdown switch under the pedal?

You might need a kickdown switch adjustment, yes, but even without kickdown the RPM should increase over 2000.

In my prior life at the Chevy dealer hardly a week went by that someone didn't come in with a transmission complaint.....that was repaired by replacing the fuel filter! In a touch of irony your XJR uses the same filter and same transmission as seen in lord-knows-how-many Chevy trucks.

Worth a try, at least.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
AlbBolivar (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 02:43 PM

Hi Doug. Just a little update. I replaced the fuel filter this morning with a little adjustment last night to the kick down switch since it seemed to be screwed down all the way. But getting on the freeway now the car seems to pull like it should. Not in sport mode or traction off either which is good.
Thanks for the help!