XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help!!!!

yesterday i crashed my xj6. i went over the gutter at an angle then my car bounced up putting me wheel into the wheel well and then going over a trash can. it has 0 percent body damage however my entire right side wiring harness is wrapped around my wheel. my car sputtered to the intersection and died. once dead i tried to start it again and it started to turn over. after pushing it to the side of the road it didnt even try to start. all my electrical turns on but no start
________
GAY SEX

Last edited by jhxj6; 03-23-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar encounter when my baby was impounded following some unprecedented legal challenges, and the morons that the police department had tow my car attempted to use a standard tow truck instead of a flat bed, and obviously had no idea what they were doing.

looked a little something like this

I can almost guarantee you are going to have to replace the entire right side front main harness, I had to replace mine, but on the driver side.

I ordered mine from Coventry West for a reasonable amount, dealt with Pete Bond, ext. 120, and they took great care of me.

If you do source a used harness, be sure to get one that is out of the same year as yours, and if you go with Coventry, they will use your VIN to assure a correct match.

I assume you will have it towed home, if you haven't already; make sure they use a flatbed.

replacement of the RH front main harness involves removal of the bumper and fender, which isn't too difficult, only requiring some odd angles at which to bend your arm with a ratchet, and careful diligence and concentration, replacing one plug at a time in the harness.

but fear not! this is not the worst that could happen.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:51 PM

any idea on what the cost of repairs would be?
________
LIFE INSURANCE ADVICE

Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 AM

I had originally replaced my harness with one out of a 1995 that was sitting in a boneyard, and it caused all kind of stupid crazy problems.
There is a pretty big difference in the wiring from 1995 to 1996.

So, I had to order one from coventry west, used: $400.00
that's the left side, but I imagine the passenger side would be around the same price range, probably leaning to the less expensive side.

$890 for a complete bumper
$550 for a hood
the list goes on

Old 01-29-2010, 01:24 PM

ok good thing i asked because i found one from a 95. would i be capable of installing the new harness myself or am i better off taking it to my mechanic
________
ASIAN LESBIAN

Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 PM

the actual task of replacing the harness is really straightforward; most of the plugs only fit with their counterparts. The most difficult part is getting to it. The fender and bumper have to come off.

The bumper is easy, two 19mm bolts on the bottom side of the beam, and the two light harness plugs.
The fender, if memory serves, is ten or so bolts, 10mm, and I'm pretty sure there are three bolts inside underneath the fender well by the door. you'll need a flex head ratchet or some other method of flexibility to reach those. the plastic fender well itself, just a bunch of screws.

The plug where the entire harness enters the passenger compartment can be a little tricky, but just be patient, and don't force it off. there's a clip on the inside side that swings out to release the plug, and the kick panel must be removed, but again, easy.

It would behoove you to grab a sharpie & some masking tape and label corresponding plugs that have even the slightest chance of getting mixed up, i.e. the o2 sensor plugs.

Once you get into it you'll flow pretty smoothly. & also with the fender and bumper off you can inspect for any hidden damage.