XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Help me to become a Jaguar Owner

Old 02-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help me to become a Jaguar Owner

Hello All,
I am currently thinking of buying a 1996 Jaguar XJR 3.2...with very low mileage and in very good condition. I fell in love as the styling is so neath. However I cannot find any info on this car on the net, even to find a spec it was difficult. I have a couple of questions if you could help me out:

1. I am 6 feet 2, will I fit well in the drivers seat? as i heard that space is tight.
2. What sort of mpg does it return?
3. Do you recommend it as a daily driver for a family car?
4. Can it be converted to LPG?
5. Did Jaguar do a 1996 XJR 3.2? as i cannot find production numbers
6. How is reliability? and parts availability?

Any help from owners would be really helpful. By the way, I am from the island of Malta.

Many Thanks
D.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:06 PM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

If you hunt through the postings on this forum you will find many of your answers. However, I am six inches shorter than you - no further comment. My car is a 4 litre, no use to you, they can be converted to LPG at a cost that would take some time to recoup the cost of conversion, they are great everyday family cars, they have weaknesses, but not many and parts, with the possible exception of on plug coils, are plentiful - look at eBay.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:15 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

It cannot be an XJR 3.2 - it is either a 3.2 or an XJR .
A 3.2 is not supercharged, whereas an XJR is a 4.0 supercharged.

I’m 6’3” and there is enough room if there is no sunroof. If there is a sunroof you loose some headroom and it is not a big deal. But nicer without the sunroof

These cars are not unreliable, but need regular attention and maintenance.
Great family car,but have a back up for when it needs attention!

Old 02-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Damien,

The car could be a 3.2 with some "sport" styling such as wheels or mesh grill, but an XJR only comes in 4 litre supercharged. You will know for sure if you open the bonnet/hood - in big red letters it will say XJR6 on the engine!

I have had a 3.2 litre XJ40, which was a fine car and a 4.0 litre XJ8 and an 4.0 litre XJR6.

The XJ8 was big money whenever anything went wrong, the XJ6 is more "DIY" and parts seem cheaper (however I owned my XJ8 a long time ago).

I am six foot and like to sit upright when driving, that is difficult in a X300/X308 so you have to adopt a more "reclined" sitting position, which I am now used to. You need to go for a test drive and find out.

Re family car, I have three children and they all fit in.

The XJ6 X300 or XJR6 are fine cars if the car is in go condition and has service history and you can fit in it! I would buy it.

Cheers,
Nick

Old 02-16-2018, 12:45 PM

Hello - thank you for your replies. The owner is saying its a 3.2 XJR but sent me pictures and there is a big supercharger that says XJR6 and it looks an XJR as everything matches - so probably the logbook is wrong. It has 60k km on the clock and looks to be in pristine condition with grey interior.

What sort of mpg should one expect if driven carefully? and can the 4.0 supercharger run on LPG? fuel price here is Euro 1.31/L while lpg is only 0.65/L

Honestly speaking my choice is BMW E39, Mercedes W211 or this Jag XJR. The Jag is the most elegant and nice looking...the BMW and Merc are very well engineerd and I think are reliable as well. So I am a bit confused at the moment which would be the best for me.

Thanks
D.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

The VIN # may say the original engine but then it could have been swapped , ask him that . The 3.2 and 4.0 use the same block casting but different mechanicals inside . The engine ECU will have to match the engine version so get the ECU Jaguar part number from the item located behind the small cover on the very right side of the RHD driver right foot .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 02-16-2018 at 01:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (04-04-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
The VIN # may say the original engine but then it could have been swapped , ask him that . The 3.2 and 4.0 use the same block casting but different mechanicals inside .
Thank you - what should a XJR vin number contain to be a genuine XJR?

Old 02-16-2018, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

You see the Jaguar LNA - XXXX number location in the pic from someone else .

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...control-module

Old 02-16-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
You see the Jaguar LNA - XXXX number location in the pic from someone else .

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...control-module
Thank you
What sort of mpg imp do these car return if driven carefully? (i guess it will be a challenge to drive slowly right with that supercharger!)

Old 02-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Someone else would have to answer that as well as a VIN decode . Just to complicate maters a bit if it was modified it may have the original different ZF 4HP22/24 transmission then the S/C engine's GM # XXX ( you can look at the data plate on the transmission ) installed with the different differential final ratio as this would effect MPG . So we may not be comparing a pure apple to a pure orange .

Old 02-16-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by AL NZ

I’m 6’3” and there is enough room if there is no sunroof. If there is a sunroof you loose some headroom and it is not a big deal. But nicer without the sunroof

i think it very unlikely that the engine was replaced as it has only 60km on the clock ; but thanks for the heads up and info. So assuming its a factory xjr with 60km, how much do you think its worth? And what sort of mpg should it get? Assuming its a factory xjr.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Damien Azzopardi

And what sort of mpg should it get? Assuming its a factory xjr.
Welcome to the forum, Damien! Best of luck in identifying and obtaining your next family car.

I realize it can be tough sledding, but if you do end up with an X300 of some flavor or another, you'll have to become conversant with the search function within this forum, so let's jump in straightaway while you are still in the discovery phase: *somewhere* in this forum is a thread titled "XJR6 Awful Fuel Consumption" that contains a number of members' reporting their fuel consumption.
Beware the difference between Imp and US gal. I believe you are interested in Imp...but beware some people only report "gallons" and you have to review the context from which they made the comment and their location, if listed, to figure it out.

Give that a shot, and report back if you can't find it, and I'll try to search out a link for you. You'll find the search feature in the top-right quartile of your screen: "Search this forum" with a drop-down arrow.

Last edited by aholbro1; 02-17-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Welcome to the forum, Damien! Best of luck in identifying and obtaining your next family car.

I realize it can be tough sledding, but if you do end up with an X300 of some flavor or another, you'll have to become conversant with the search function within this forum, so let's jump in straightaway while you are still in the discovery phase: *somewhere* in this forum is a thread titled "XJR6 Awful Fuel Consumption" that contains a number of members' reporting their fuel consumption.
Beware the difference between Imp and US gal. I believe you are interested in Imp...but beware some people only report "gallons" and you have to review the context from which they made the comment and their location, if listed, to figure it out.

Give that a shot, and report back if you can't find it, and I'll try to search out a link for you. You'll find the search feature in the top-right quartile of your screen: "Search this forum" with a drop-down arrow.
Many thanks for the warm welcome and for the heads up.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by AL NZ

Hello AL NZ
Thanks for the info. when you say back up it means that the problem will stop the car. What sort of problems would these be? and are they costly to repair? I can do DIY but somethings I cannot do as you require a jack.

Thx.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

See the link below as the buyers guide 4 items down:

The area on top of the X300 section contains alot of useful information . The X300 series before the replacement X308 series is regarded as the most reliable with an excellent engine and transmission and in reality all cars follow the same physics so you'll have to jack the car to do a brake job . Make a list and check them off from the buyers guide and if you have any questions just ask and someone will help .

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20088/

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 02-17-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

VIN # decoder , look at the 7th digit on page 13 :

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Intr.../INTR_1995.pdf

The following users liked this post:
Damien Azzopardi (02-18-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 03:50 AM

Hello
Just i quick update - I managed to obtain the VIN number of the car and it is a factory genuine 1996 XJR so this means that it was registered as a 3.2 by mistake. I am planning to go an visit the car...who knows...maybe I end up with an XJR after all (if the price is right!)

Are interior parts a problem in these cars? like cosmetics and stuff?

Many Thanks
D.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,749 Likes on 12,142 Posts

Originally Posted by Damien Azzopardi
..... Are interior parts a problem in these cars? like cosmetics and stuff?
Trim items are the first to disappear from Jaguar inventory. The factory sells major items off by the container load after about ten years.

Jaguar plastic is notoriously brittle and often costs more than its weight in gold. If there's damaged trim, check you can source new or used replacements and run a quick search on prices. Seemingly minor parts can be terrifyingly expensive.

Graham

Old 03-19-2018, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Trim items are the first to disappear from Jaguar inventory. The factory sells major items off by the container load after about ten years.

Jaguar plastic is notoriously brittle and often costs more than its weight in gold. If there's damaged trim, check you can source new or used replacements and run a quick search on prices. Seemingly minor parts can be terrifyingly expensive.

Graham
Thanks Graham, good to know. So second hand sourcing would be the best.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

You previously asked about fuel economy.

I drove an XJR/6 for many years. Typically it returned 12-13 mpg in city driving. On the open highway 18-20 mpg was typical although this could be edged up to 21-22 mpg under ideal conditions and a gentle touch. These are *USA* gallons.

A heavy foot will knock those number down in a hurry.

Cheers
DD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me to become a Jaguar Owner