XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

How bad will the car run if throttle body adaptation is wrong after TPS replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question How bad will the car run if throttle body adaptation is wrong after TPS replacement?

OK, I'm struggling with a decision.... whether to clean my old throttle body (TB) and reinstall, or while everything is off install my bored out (Maxbore.com) TB.

Why? Well it turns out that it is a royal PITA to get to the XJR6 TB as is no surprise, and has been covered in many threads. The TB is sticking badly, and now that I've just about nearly got the intake manifold/intercooler off, the amount of oil inside is incredible. So the cleaning procedure has to be done.

But again, to say this has been a major pain is an understatement. I planned originally just to clean my dirty TB, but now that I'm in here I really don't want to do it again any time soon so thought I might just go ahead and install my bored out sparkling clean TB.

To install the new bored out TB I'll need to move my existing TPS over, or install one of my used spare TPSs, but either way that will require heading to the dealer to get a TB TPS adaptation to reset the base parameters of the TPS and ECU.

So, here's the question: How badly might the car run with the adaptation not yet reset, and will it be drive-able, say 50 miles to the dealer for the adaptation?

I could always have it towed of course, but I'd rather avoid the expense and also be able to drive it around for a shake-down run or two first to know that everything is working as expected.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-15-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,060 Likes on 2,034 Posts

It should be drivable, it just may not return to idle. "Idle" might end up being 1500ish rpm. Just be prepared to go into neutral approaching lights for example, as that's a lot of work on the brakes and a lot of heat getting put into the transmission too if you hold it in D at those revs.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
It should be drivable, it just may not return to idle. "Idle" might end up being 1500ish rpm. Just be prepared to go into neutral approaching lights for example, as that's a lot of work on the brakes and a lot of heat getting put into the transmission too if you hold it in D at those revs.

Thanks, if that's the only issue then that's good news for anyone swapping out a TPS and then having to wait to get the TB/TPS "adapted". When I first bought the car, the idle was around 1000-1200 RPM before I had my throttle cables adjusted, so that would be feasible.

But unfortunately for me the decision has been made by fate. Around the time I wrote this post, someone ran a stop sign and knocked our primary family car out of commission, which will leave it undriveable for a few weeks.

So I need to get the XJR back on the road ASAP without any additional self-inflicted complexities or uncertainties. So I'll clean the existing known to be good TB and TPS and wait to fit the bored TB another day.

At least for the next time I'll know what it takes to remove/reinstall and it won't be quite as long an exercise or as stressful as the first time always is.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-16-2017 at 11:47 AM.