XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

how to dismantle dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default how to dismantle dashboard

Hi need dismantle procedure for dash board in order to access evaporator box. many thanks.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: how to dismantle dashboard

The expansion valve on all X300 cars is an integral part of the evaporator, and is located inside the climate control housing. I have not had occasion to remove this assembly, although I do have a unit in stock and examined it to verify that the parts information is correct:

JLM 11944 Air conditioning evaporator including expansion valve Jaguar list $660.00

This part number is listed for all 1995 through 1997 XJ6 models, and is also fitted to 1998 through 2002 XJ8 models.

I do not have JTIS loaded onto an online computer, and am reluctant to redistribute the contents in respect to the maker's copyright. Perhaps another member can help you with specific instruction for removal/ repacement.

As for system diagnosis, my own experience leads me to the following general conclusions:

High side pressure high, low side pressure high = system overcharged
High side pressure low, low side pressure low = system undercharged
High side pressure high, low side pressure low =system blockage, receiver/ drier, expansion valve suspect.
High side pressure low, low side pressure high = expansion valve failing open.

There is more specific information for system diagnosis on JTIS, and posting your symptoms and gauge readings here will likely get you more specific answers.

As to the evaporators, I have not seen or read of frequent failures on X300/ X308. The '93-'94 XJ40 evaporators were notorious for refrigerant leaks, and the expansion valves on that system were servicable as separate items and mounted outside the climate control housing for easy access. Evaporator service on that model required removal of the center console and facia assemblies prior to removal of the climate control assembly.

Absent of information of common failures, I would consider a used evaporator removed from a vehicle with a sealed air conditioning system as an acceptable replacement. Please contact me if you would like to obtain one at 1/5th cost of the new factory replacement. I have not researched the availability or price of a new aftermarket replacement, and obviously that would be the first choice if fitmant is guaranteed and pricing is appropriate. Personal experience with some aftermarket evaporators, XJ40 included, required an unexpected amount of minor modification to fit these units properly.

Last edited by JagtechOhio; 02-03-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typ corrections from reformatting
Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so in the 96 jag xj6 (x300) the expansion valve is part of the evaporator. I see a listing on this part with napa and it looks like a regular expansion valve from either BMW or Chrystler. It is listed for $48. is this part located near the evaporator as well? I am having a really hard time finding any information on this repair.

I have High side pressure high, low side pressure pulling vacuum under load. usually clogged expansion valve.

thanks..

Old 08-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Is there anyone that can let me know a removal procedure for remove and replace of the evaporator?

thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default expansion valve replacement

trinitysj,
did you ever change the expansion valve. I have just ripped out the dash. I took approx 200 pictures in order to get back together. I have not taken out the evaporator box yet. that I will attempt in the next two days. I will put together the order in which I took apart and try to post. I am now looking for a picture of the evaporator box already out. I will then remove box and replace expansion valve.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Removing evap is easy (but AC should be de-gassed in accordance with local guidelines). Go to engine bay, there are the in and out lines of the AC through the bulkhead to evap. 8mm or 10mm bolts hold the lines to the evap, remove the bolts and that's it. (So long as all the plastic air ducts and electrical plugs are removed). Pull evap out.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by cool
Hi need dismantle procedure for dash board in order to access evaporator box. many thanks.
Have you removed the dash yet. I have pictures and will try to put details and comments with them soon. Let me know if I should put a rush on. Since I got mine back together I have a noise, which seems to come from the compressor, when I turn the AC on. Otherwise everything went fine. The hardest part was connecting the heater core. The pictures will explain.

The following users liked this post:
cool (04-28-2014)

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2011, 06:45 PM

I have dismantled dash and replace evaporator and expansion box. Have you done yours yet? I have notes and pictures of my work on 1995 xj6 (x300 vanden plas).

Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by wrd0225
I have dismantled dash and replace evaporator and expansion box. Have you done yours yet? I have notes and pictures of my work on 1995 xj6 (x300 vanden plas).
If you could send me some that would be great. Thanks a bunch. pm me for email address.

cool (04-28-2014)
Old 09-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by trinitysj
If you could send me some that would be great. Thanks a bunch. pm me for email address.
Rather than a PM, this should be posted so everyone can benefit !!

cool (04-27-2014)
Old 09-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Default dash removal

Originally Posted by caldercay
Rather than a PM, this should be posted so everyone can benefit !!
Will post as soon as I figuire out how to post and finish moving. Would someone please direct me to the directiions on how to post this information. Pictures along with comments for each (most?)pictures.

cool (04-28-2014)
Old 09-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd0225
Will post as soon as I figuire out how to post and finish moving. Would someone please direct me to the directiions on how to post this information. Pictures along with comments for each (most?)pictures.
Start a new thread, something titled as, "Dash Removal" ... provide some explanation and click the "Insert Image" icon (wherever appropriate) for each post (it's the yellow one with "mountains" in the background).

It's best to include only one or two images per post. You can select "New Reply" for subsequent (post) instructions /images. If you don't have an account at an "image hosting" site, establish one. I use PhotoBucket.com ... it's free. Simply upload the images for your posting(s), then when you click the "Insert Image" icon (to add to your posting), paste the "image URL" that you copied from PhotoBucket (or whatever image sharing site you use).

Here's a how-to thread I did not too long ago ... use as an example:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fix-faq-58565/

cool (04-28-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Does anyone know if the images and instructions for the dash R&R were ever posted?
Thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2014, 12:53 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by DustyKnobs
Hello, Does anyone know if the images and instructions for the dash R&R were ever posted?
Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum DustyNnobs,

This thread is over five years old and the last post to it was more than two years ago so I suspect the answer is 'no'.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-27-2014, 08:46 AM

jagtechohio, there is no patent or intelectual property rights in dismantling the dashboard, its either you have it or don't and its either you are willing to share it or not, thanks to WRD0225 for wanting to share and no lame excuses for not wanting to. The evaporator or cooling coil is not even part of any intelectual property rights (unless you want to copy and manufacture exactly the same ) it is manufactured by Nippon Denso Japan. Members are more interested in how to dismantle the dashboard.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:49 AM

[QUOTE=wrd0225;396656]Have you removed the dash yet. I have pictures and will try to put details and comments with them soon. Let me know if I should put a rush on. Since I got mine back together I have a noise, which seems to come from the compressor, when I turn the AC on. Otherwise everything went fine. The hardest part was connecting the heater core. The pictures will explain.[/

would appreciate your sharing AGAIN, before i take it out, there were some rattlings as well, also my steering column is loose, need to tighten as well to avoid the tilt movement from moving when it is set below the top dead center. Would appreciate if you can also post picture of that section, many many thanks.

Last edited by cool; 04-28-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Received 86 Likes on 22 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Guillaume:
Jens boy (08-15-2015), overtheatlantic (07-25-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

A few years ago I had trouble with the AC not cooling. Turned out the dryer canister mounted over the condenser had leaked almost all the pellets out and they went through the system clogging the expansion valve. The bottom line was to totally open up the system and spend a lot of time blowing out the system in both directions. After replacing the canister the system was closed up, evacuated and serviced. Now this was nine or ten years ago. Since then I have had it serviced about every two years and recently had to replace the compressor as well as a new canister. This was with 130,000 miles on the car. The AC works fine and always has after the initial problem with the canister and cleaning out the system. I have never had to access the evaporator box and hope I never have to.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:19 AM
Received 86 Likes on 22 Posts

Same thing happened to my XJ6, and no amount of blowing could dislodge the pellets, but the car had been sitting for 2 years unused with no freon/oil into its system before I found it and bought it, so that might explain why these pellets wouldn't budge. Also, if pellets get into your compressor, it might be very had to get out since you can't "flush" the compressor, and then you'd have to repeat the procedure. But you were lucky. I'd definitely start with your method first, and then move on to something more involved if that didn't work.

Cheers!

Old 07-26-2015, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Anyone remember what kind of total cost is involved in replacing the dryer (parts/labor) and recharging the system?

BTW, this is not unique to the Jag, as I've seen this reported on other forums as well.

Quick Reply: how to dismantle dashboard