XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

How to slide the front bumper forward?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
Default How to slide the front bumper forward?

One of the plastic slide plates that supports the wrap-around side of the bumper on my car was broken in a previous owner's accident. They replaced the bumper and screwed up the wiring in doing that but did not replace the broken bumper support carrier on the passenger's side of the car. I got a used one but in looking at this morning I don't think I can change it without at least partially removing the front bumper. Can anyone give me some short directions on how I can slide the front bumper forward just enough so I can replace this side support bracket?

Thanks in advance.
--
Steve

Last edited by JensenHealey; 10-23-2016 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:02 PM
Received 10,290 Likes on 6,810 Posts

From memory on mine, it had to slide far enough to do that it basically fell off.

Mine never had that silly undertray, so removal was a 15 minute task at worst.The 2 electrical connectors took the longest.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:50 AM

Nevermind, I figured it out after sliding under the front of the car and seeing the two big bolt heads under the front edge of the bumper.

My problem now is that I got the slider bracket installed but the bumper on that side of the car has a huge gap at the back edge of the bumper where it meets the bottom of the fender just ahead of the wheel. I tried adjusting the slider bracket all the way up but it was already at the top edge of it's adjustment.

I will take a photo of this tomorrow to post here.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey there Jensen Healey;

Don't know if this will help, but I just took off the front bumper from my 1996 XJR. I ripped the under cowl with a high curb (darn).

Here is a picture of one of the adjustable nuts, that one of the two bumper bolts go into. Maybe some sort of adjusting might help with what you want to accomplish?

Sure is easy to get off. Took me no longer than 1/2 hour and that includes learning what to do. Could do it in 15 minutes easy if ever needed to again (hopefully not).

Just waiting for the glue to dry on my under cowl so I can touch up paint and bolt back on again.

Sincerely ... Grant from Sunny Peachland in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia Canada.

Attached Thumbnails How to slide the front bumper forward?-jag-bumper-bolt-1.jpg   How to slide the front bumper forward?-jag-bumper-bolt-2.jpg  
Old 10-24-2016, 12:48 AM

Thanks Grant
Please see the photos in my other post that I made about an ill fitting bumper earlier this evening
--
Steve