XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Illumination failed on Switch Panels: Center, Ovhd consoles and all door switches

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Default Illumination failed on Switch Panels: Center, Ovhd consoles and all door switches

Got a flicker once or twice and then it all went out. Inst. binnacle still lit and dimming works. Displays in A/C, Clock, and Radio head all illuminated. Seems only the switches are affected...ditto the ones on the fascia behind the steering wheel: Fog lights, Cruise, etc.

I pulled Fuse#2 from the Rear heelboard pane, right hand side, and it looked good, checked it with a meter and had continuity. All switches function, just no illumination...can't really believe every bulb would go at once. ANyone have any ideas? Or did I misread the fuse charts...(I also checked all 5A fuses in the RH rr heelboard panel just to make sure I had the right one)

Thanks,
Zane

Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have exactly the same problem, i bought a new dimmer control switch, as I was told it was that, just spoke to my mechanic, dimmer control switch is ok, but still no dash lights or lights on door panels... i am at a loss. all fuses check good...........................

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Got a flicker once or twice and then it all went out. Inst. binnacle still lit and dimming works. Displays in A/C, Clock, and Radio head all illuminated. Seems only the switches are affected...ditto the ones on the fascia behind the steering wheel: Fog lights, Cruise, etc.

As I interpret the diagrams it appears the ALL of these things are powered by the red/pink wire coming off the dimmer switch. Of course the wires branches off in umpteen directions. Since *some* of the lights work the circuit is fundamentally operational ...and you probably have a loose/open circuit at one of the splices/braches...maybe splice "FCS20". However I couldn't find anything in the diagrams telling us *where* that splice is.

Maybe if you pull the radio and a/c panel you can trace the red/pink wires from there and find something.

Hopefully others will chime in. One of our members has done lots of work with the illumination circuits and can probably add some insight.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
aholbro1 (04-14-2011), whiteheather (04-14-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Doug, maybe have a chance to search it out this weekend....for this morning...actuated the rear def. and got all my lights back....for about 2 miles (@75 mph)...then a couple of flickers and they went out again. Flickered a few more times later in the commute but no sustained illumination. (and I already put the rubber mallet I've been carrying to actuate the water valve for heat back on the pegboard due to the return of reasonable climate!)

Old 04-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Default I just KNOW it can't be this simple/easy...but I'll TAKE IT!!!

Pulled the center stack out today to have a look around....and just by happenstance joggled a ground wire on the back of the radio head while setting it aside, noting it was somewhat loose. I cinched the nut up with an 8mm wrench and looked over all the other visible wiring and didn't see any damage. I checked the red/pk wire at the cig lighter with my meter and had +B with the lights on....so called it good.

I really can't believe it could be that simple...but I'm hoping....it was an intermittent problem...so it's also possible it was in one of its "working phases" whilst I was in there today. I'll post a retraction if it craps out again this week...

Meanwhile...about halfway through the task, I thought someone may benefit from pictures, even though there is a good video on here somewhere of how to pull the radio. I've attached my pointers in the pdf below.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Center Stack Removal.pdf (1.37 MB, 419 views)