XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Interior strobe lighting problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:40 AM
zej
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Interior strobe lighting problem...

Hi, i've got a little electrical glitch with my 96 XJR...

Whenever I open the right rear door, the interior lights + door puddle light flicker on and off very rapidly and I can hear what I presume to be a relay clicking away like mad under the rear bench somewhere.
This only happens when that particular door is opened and all the rest are closed. There doesn't seem to be an obvious door light switch, which I presume is the source of this problem.

Any advice is appreciated!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,807 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by zej

Whenever I open the right rear door, the interior lights + door puddle light flicker on and off very rapidly and I can hear what I presume to be a relay clicking away like mad under the rear bench somewhere.
This only happens when that particular door is opened and all the rest are closed. There doesn't seem to be an obvious door light switch, which I presume is the source of this problem.

Yes, the switch. It's a very small switch mounted inside the door latch assembly. Remove latch then remove the switch.

The switch cannot be disassembled but if you remove the tiny rubber sealing boot from the tiny plastic button, you can get some aerosol contact cleaner into the switch and you'll be good to go. Use a dab of heavy grease to reseal the button opening.

That's how I did it, at least.

Removing the latch assembly is tricky. Much easier to remove 'em front the front doors. Perhaps the latch assembly can be simply moved out of position and the switch removed without having to remove the latch entirely out of the door.

Good luck
DD

Old 08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zej

i have the exact same problem. i did some diging in there and found it to be a loose wire. i put some ducttape on it as a temp. fix and it works about 50% of the time.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 PM
zej
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

I guess I'll purchase a manual of some sort before hacking in to my beautiful oatmeal/maplewood door trim to find this elusive switch.
Do I need to remove the trim itself, to get to the door latch?
Are there any online guides that you know of that may show where the switch is located relative to the door latch, or how to dismantle a door?

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zej
Thanks for the replies!

I guess I'll purchase a manual of some sort before hacking in to my beautiful oatmeal/maplewood door trim to find this elusive switch.
Do I need to remove the trim itself, to get to the door latch?
Are there any online guides that you know of that may show where the switch is located relative to the door latch, or how to dismantle a door?

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.
SRO 76.37.12 Front DoorSRO 76.37.13 Rear Door

Remove door veneer panel.Remove door upper trim pad.Remove door lower trim pad.Using a suitable plastic knife, cut through the weathershield to door sealant and reposition weathershield for access.Disconnect door handle link rod.Disconnect door lock knob link rod.Disconnect motor multi-plug.Undo and remove door glass lower fixings.Undo and remove motor securing bolts.Displace and reposition the glass frame and the motor assembly.Remove the motor assembly (Fig.2).Remove motor cover. Fig.2 & 3 show front door components only. Remove the motor multi-plug inner housing.Using special tool MS 1540 (JD 171), displace door ajar switch harness terminals from multi-plug and note position.Displace and reposition door lock micro-switch.Undo and remove lock motor securing screws.Remove motor/micro-switch assembly and place lock aside (Fig.3).Refit in the reverse order of the removal procedure.