XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

intermittent blinker bulb fail & no brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default intermittent blinker bulb fail & no brake lights

I've had a very odd electrical problem over the past two days. Any help is much appreciated...

Last night I was driving on the highway and my bulb fail indicator lamp on the dash was flashing, going solid, going out. Pretty much for the duration of my 45 minute highway ride, and observed when I wasn't using any additional lights or blinkers. When it was on, my left turn signal would flash quickly as if a bulb had failed, the right was fine and blinking slowly. Then just a few minutes later I got the opposite - right flashed quickly, and the left was fine. Then only a few minutes later the bulb fail indicator lamp went out and both sets of turn signals worked fine and blinked normally.

For most of today's around town driving the bulb fail indicator lamp was out and the turn signals worked fine. Then on the highway the bulb fail indicator lamp started flashing a bit again, then went out... Then when using the turn signals, the signals would flash quickly and the bulb fail indicator lamp would go on. When the signals were turned off the bulb fail indicator lamp would turn off. This blinker failure was observed on both the left and right sides.

When I got home only a few minutes later, both sets of the darn turn signals work fine and the bulb fail indicator lamp stays off. So I'm very confused...

Also, and I'm not certain if this is different or related yet, both rear brake lights are out. The third (middle) light works fine. Its dark and I'll be checking the bulbs tomorrow, but it seems both would fail at the same time. My understanding is that these are controlled by a "rear/combined lamp control module". Will someone please tell me where this is located and where to purchase a replacement? I'm having a lot of trouble when searching that name.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be going on here? So far the issue with the blinkers has been observed on highway driving only. The brake lights are out at all times. The blinker issue just has me puzzled.

Thanks

Last edited by l3uddha; 03-18-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 AM

more blinker weirdness today, but driving around town also... now I'll be sitting at a stoplight with the blinker on, it will blink normally, then blink fast and the bulb failure lamp will come on, then only a few seconds later it will blink normally again. both sides do this. are the turn signals controlled by a relay and not fuses and maybe its a bad relay? just looking for ideas. thanks

Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Check the ground connection at both lights. This link should help http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxj1997.pdf It appears that the ground lead at the plug for the lights have had problems. Now I must say I am not sure that your 97 xj is experiencing this problem but it is worth checking. I have a little information on this topic but it is not posted on my page. I hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:44 PM

update: the blinkers flash quickly when the driver headlight switch is in the OFF position, both sides:
the front blinker on the bumper does flash,
the small side marker on the upper-front fender near the driver door does flash,
the rear blinkers flash.

when the driver headlight switch is in the ON position, all of the above blinkers flash at the normal rate of speed, both sides.

weird...

Old 06-05-2012, 07:39 AM

back up lights were out in addition to the two side brake lights.

Turns out it was the rear lamp control unit next to the battery. my mechanic popped in a spare one when I was at the shop and VOILA! everything back to normal