XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Intermitting headlight, turns signals, wipers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:15 AM
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Intermitting headlight, turns signals, wipers...

The following only happens when the bulb out indicator light is illuminated. My Gear shift interlock is locked (easily can get out of park by sticking something in the hole by the shifter), my headlights, turn signal and wipers do not work. My brake lights work fine.

I was told that the brake switch was bad so I took it off and cleaned it and things got much better, that is the bulb out indicator illuminated (along with all the other problems) less frequently. Usually a restart would clear everything up. Then the problem happened more often so I cleaned the brake switch again and again things were good for a while (but not as long as the first time). This time around I have that bulb out indicator on for 20 minutes before it goes out making it a bit hard driving at night and restarts do not help.

It really feels light a bad ground wire to me. Can someone tell me what all these electrical devices I mentioned have in common? I don't want to change the brake switch if that is not the problem, besides it is not fun taking it out!

Thanks for your anticipated responses.
Jomo

Last edited by jomo; 07-06-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:14 PM

Update: I pulled the brake switch which is a dpdt switch and tested it. One pole is normally open (for the brake lights I guess) and does close when I push the switch in. The other pole (for the cruise control), which is NC, seems to work fine as well.

Now I am really at a loss.

Any ideas, please?!

Jomo

Last edited by jomo; 07-06-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

There are threads on this forum covering pinched wires in the steering column causing problems through the multifunction switch and there is even a Youtube video . I recall there is an upgraded brake switch that my be independent of the multifuction switch wiring issue . No need to get a new switch ( s ) yet . Later I will retrieve them . Gotta fix a refrigerator now .

http://www.mediafire.com/file/aact8u...ng_Diagram.pdf

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 07-07-2017 at 12:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jomo (07-08-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
There are threads on this forum covering pinched wires in the steering column causing problems through the multifunction switch and there is even a Youtube video . I recall there is an upgraded brake switch that my be independent of the multifuction switch wiring issue . No need to get a new switch ( s ) yet . Later I will retrieve them . Gotta fix a refrigerator now .

http://www.mediafire.com/file/aact8u...ng_Diagram.pdf
Thanks for the diagram. Can you supply me with a link the relevant thread on JF as I can't find them. Same with the youtube video.

I briefly checked the steering column and did not find any pinched wire but I plan on looking some more.

One more piece of information. When I turn the key to the on position I never have any problems. It is only after I start the car does the bulb out bulb ever illuminates (along with the other trouble)

Old 07-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

I'll have to look for those post later , but it looks like the common denominator is the BCM being hard to get to behind the glove box in a bolted bracket so the easier thing is the column . The early X300's had a fore an aft lamp control modual vs. only one for the latter production .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 07-10-2017 at 06:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jomo (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
I'll have to look for those post later , but it looks like the common denominator is the BCM being hard to get to behind the glove box in a bolted bracket so the easier thing is the column . The early X300's had a fore an aft lamp control modual vs. only one for the latter production .
I finally got around to changing my BCM and all seems perfect now!
Thanks for your support!
Jomo

Old 08-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member