XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Jagicon's 97 sj6L turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Jagicon's 97 sj6L turn signal problem

Hi everyone my right turn signal works for about 4 x out of all uses in one day and then does the fast clicking and no signal. Perhaps later in the day it will work again the same way.

I replaced the right signal switch a year ago with a used one that was suppose to be functional. But a month later the signal was doing the same thing again and I have been living with this for a year. As we know, a new signal switch costs nearly $400 plus installation. Before I spend that kind of money I was reading on the forum and online that next time this signal stopped working to check and see if the hazard lights work. Well I did and they do not work at the time the signal is not working. It said to check the hazard flasher relay. Also read to check the turn signal relay, check the bulb, check the bulb socket, etc. Has anyone had this experience that they can share? I would appreciate any insight and am willing to try anything before spending $500 but I need the turn signal to work.. people driving behind me do not remember hand signals! Thanks to all!

Old 08-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

The right lower under the car connector ( BT1 ) gets corroded because of it's location . Mine was in this condition , It has about 10 wires it's behind the lamp . The glass bulbs sometimes need to have the wire leads on the glass itself sprung back out to make contact with the socket . The latter year X300 have only one lamp module in the trunk . Do you have side repeater flashing that bypasses the BR1 connector to the same common to both side repeater and front turn /direction lamp to ground ? There is a complicating factor that the side repeater behind the wheel well corrodes as the wires go into the connector so this may throw you off . As the lamp fails at the lamp it's self you can put a meter or testlamp on the backside of the lamp module to ground and that would cut the problem in half that you verified the column switch and module function . The RS3 connector is just forward of the engine ECU in the right cabin that goes from cabin to wheel well . Carefull not to break the connectors locking pins in pic .

Attached Thumbnails Jagicon's 97 sj6L turn signal problem-x300-lamp-mod-untitled.png   Jagicon's 97 sj6L turn signal problem-x300-turn-untitled.png   Jagicon's 97 sj6L turn signal problem-jaguar-rs3-color-untitled.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 08-09-2017 at 01:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jagicon (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LP - I printed out your comments and diagram and will go over them with my tech.. thanks so much!

Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Updated reply