XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Locked glove box won't unlock

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Locked glove box won't unlock

Hello forum! New to the Jag forum - just bought a 95 XJ6 that needs a little work. One of the items is the glove box is locked shut and I have no clue how to open it. the ignition key fits in the key hole fine and it turns, but nothing unlocks at all. I think the gas release is in there because I can't find it anywhere else and who knows what other goodies are in there for me to find. I was thinking about just making it a time capsule and burying it, but...I think I'm going to open it now

This is the Vanden Plas if that makes any difference in how I approach this.

Any helpful ideas on this would be GREATLY appreciated! thank you!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:57 PM

Sorry - just noticed this is in the wrong forum, but I don't see a forum for a 95 XJ6...

Old 02-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

It's either the XJ40 or X300 forum. X300 commenced production in 1995 and finished in 1997. It's the curvy version of the XJ40.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Didn't the early x300's come without an actual glovebox?

Old 02-15-2014, 01:44 PM
GGG
Received 16,763 Likes on 12,152 Posts

Welcome to the forum heuster,

Do you have:

XJ40 (which could have single square headlamps)
Locked glove box won't unlock-xj40.jpg

OR

X300
Locked glove box won't unlock-x300.jpg

Both of them are badged as XJ6.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by heuster
Hello forum! New to the Jag forum - just bought a 95 XJ6 that needs a little work. One of the items is the glove box is locked shut and I have no clue how to open it. the ignition key fits in the key hole fine and it turns, but nothing unlocks at all. I think the gas release is in there because I can't find it anywhere else and who knows what other goodies are in there for me to find. I was thinking about just making it a time capsule and burying it, but...I think I'm going to open it now

This is the Vanden Plas if that makes any difference in how I approach this.

Any helpful ideas on this would be GREATLY appreciated! thank you!
Gas release? You mean to open the fuel flap? You don't need a lever for that, it unlocks when the car unlocks, except for if it's not working I suppose. I test drove an XJ8 that ran out of gas on my test drive and we couldn't get the flap to open, the little release mechanism had failed, so we had to reach in through the trunk and manually release it, you could try that if you can't get it open

Old 02-16-2014, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by zathras
Gas release? You mean to open the fuel flap? You don't need a lever for that, it unlocks when the car unlocks, except for if it's not working I suppose. I test drove an XJ8 that ran out of gas on my test drive and we couldn't get the flap to open, the little release mechanism had failed, so we had to reach in through the trunk and manually release it, you could try that if you can't get it open
I ended up at the gas station and couldn't get into it...so I ended up unlocking manually from the trunk. Phew! I was about to call the dude I bought it from and ask how he usually filled up the tank? Through a straw???

I am totally lost with the glove box issue. Dude said he never had to get in there so he didn't worry about it.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:01 AM

As you say the key turns in the lock, it's possible that it's working ok. There isn't any audible "click" from mine when it turns and to unlock it I turn the key towards the passenger door (RHD) Something might be wedged inside, a cloth perhaps caught in the lock/catch? Maybe try pushing the door tightly into the closed position while pulling on the handle? I haven't ever heard of one of these locks failing in the past.

In the event that the lock isn't actually working, maybe try a little WD40 sprayed into the lock? Place a cloth or paper on the floor below to save your carpet from drips!! Alternatively, rub a little grease on the key before inserting. Might help.

I don't think the glovebox can be accessed or removed without having the door opened first.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

There is a peg latch at each upper corner of the glove box lid, which stick out from the lid horizontally when latched. They should retract when the handle is pulled. Maybe they can be pried inward via the gaps on each side?

Bernie couldn't get his center console open for a while. When he finally did, he found a few odd, funny surprises inside. Let us know when you get into it!

Last edited by SleekJag12; 02-16-2014 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Added comment
The following users liked this post:
heuster (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
There is a peg latch at each upper corner of the glove box lid, which stick out from the lid horizontally when latched. They should retract when the handle is pulled. Maybe they can be pried inward via the gaps on each side?

Bernie couldn't get his center console open for a while. When he finally did, he found a few odd, funny surprises inside. Let us know when you get into it!
The lock turns, but the behavior of the handle is the exact same even if the box is unlocked - it doesn't change anything about the handle. Makes me mad to think what things people do with their cars and then just leave them. maybe the bad smell is coming from the glove box. They probably have a moldy stash of marijuana in there.

Going to try and work on it this week and see if I can get it opened. I'll let you all know what surprises I find in there.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:46 AM

If you try to get in at the sides of the glovebox door to slip the pegs back, as wisely suggested, a useful tool for the job might be a feeler gauge. You have a choice of blades, with varying degrees of flexibility to choose from. Maybe wrap some masking tape around the blade and just leave the tip free. This will minimise any possible damage to the glovebox door itself.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by sogood
If you try to get in at the sides of the glovebox door to slip the pegs back, as wisely suggested, a useful tool for the job might be a feeler gauge. You have a choice of blades, with varying degrees of flexibility to choose from. Maybe wrap some masking tape around the blade and just leave the tip free. This will minimise any possible damage to the glovebox door itself.
Does anyone have a picture of the inside pieces that I would be messing with to get this open? It will make it a lot easier if I can see what I'm going to be doing and where they are located exactly.

I don't have a feeler gauge set - one thing I am short on is tools unfortunately.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:18 PM

Ok, hope the attached pics explain what you need to know. The right hand pic shows the "peg" which should slide back when the handle is pulled and this is replicated on the opposite side, so, two pegs in total. You will see the "catch" arrangement which houses the peg when the door is closed.
You can see from the pic that the peg is pretty well recessed, with a deep lip formed by the edge of the glovebox itself, so at least you know what you're up against.

This is taken from a RHD car and also shows the button/switch (above) which operates the light inside the glovebox, just like a fridge! Just hope your glovebox doesn't resemble one, once opened!!

Keep us posted, tension is killing me!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Locked glove box won't unlock-glove-box-catch.jpg   Locked glove box won't unlock-glove-box-peg.jpg  

Last edited by sogood; 02-17-2014 at 01:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sogood:
BigBossRadio (04-01-2014), heuster (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by sogood
Ok, hope the attached pics explain what you need to know. The right hand pic shows the "peg" which should slide back when the handle is pulled and this is replicated on the opposite side, so, two pegs in total. You will see the "catch" arrangement which houses the peg when the door is closed.
You can see from the pic that the peg is pretty well recessed, with a deep lip formed by the edge of the glovebox itself, so at least you know what you're up against.

This is taken from a RHD car and also shows the button/switch (above) which operates the light inside the glovebox, just like a fridge! Just hope your glovebox doesn't resemble one, once opened!!

Keep us posted, tension is killing me!!!!
Awesome man - very cool of you to do that. I can tell this is going to be a chore...I'm afraid I'm going to end up breaking this thing. Will hopefully get some time to work on this tonight or tomorrow. Depends on the wifey but I will let you know what's in it once I get it open

Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 PM

Best of luck with it and if I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take a look at mine again, in daylight, emptied, and see if there are any other options.

Last edited by sogood; 02-17-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM

Okay, I recorded this today at lunch so you can have some insight into my dilemma. Here is the YouTube link for the glove box...I'm not ruling out hacking into it...I'm just trying to see if there is a way to do it without damaging anything.

Thanks all for your input and insight!!!!

Old 02-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello,

1) @Fraser Mitchell: The production of the X300 definitely commenced in 1994, at least since the month of October (my X300 was first registrated on Oct 28, 1994 and its No. 4423)

2) @heuster: Don't try to open the glovebox from the side or from the top with whatsoever kind of tool, you can't succeed, it's design related impossible and the only result will be that you ruin your glove box! You also won't succeed with opening the four screws at the hinges. Try it instead directly at the handle with a small but long screwdriver or a small paperknife or something like that (see pic). Grasp the metal bar (to be seen in the middle of the pic, it ends underneath the casing) on both sides and push it towards the middle, preferably at the same time. It definitely works (with the glovebox dismantled and sitting on my knees...)

Best,
Harald

Attached Thumbnails Locked glove box won't unlock-img_3520.jpg   Locked glove box won't unlock-img_3532.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
heuster (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 PM

Just took a peek at mine and I found the four nuts along the bottom edge of the door surround that hold the hinges on! Two per hinge, so, if you undo these nuts, the door should drop out from the bottom, but be advised that there's a little nylon string hanger fixed to the right hand side (RHD) to stop the door from falling too far when operating normally.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:15 PM

... and @sogood: yes, they came without glovebox in the beginning, due to the airbag. The glovebox was introduced ever since May, 1995.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:42 PM

ok, just saw your video. As the door is already half way open: just undo the four screws on the top and undo the four screws at the hinges and you have the gove box in your hands ... the only problem is: it's still not open, but I see a liitle chance, just ask me, I'm very busy atm, but I'll try to answer asap ...
Another suggestion: originally, the car came with three kees. Did you already try with all three keys?

Quick Reply: Locked glove box won't unlock