XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Looking for access through the firewall...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Looking for access through the firewall...

I've recently fitted after-market front parking sensors which I've powered from the side/parking light circuit (means switching on the lights to use, but it's no hardship). The problem is I can't find any way through the firewall to route the speaker wire into the cabin! The speaker is currently mounted engine side of the firewall near the steering column, so the sound transfer is obviously very faint.

Most cars I've had in the past had at least one rubber grommet for some other purpose that you could force an extra wire through if needed, but not in this well constructed beast! Any ideas anyone (hopefully without having to pull the dash apart)??

Cheers,
Tony.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Only one. Drill and gromment!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

My XJ6 has a large rubber plug just outboard of the brake cylinder. On the opposite side the same hole was used for the wiring harness, so you should be able to poke a hole in the plug and gain access.

The following users liked this post:
jagent (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by jagent
I've recently fitted after-market front parking sensors which I've powered from the side/parking light circuit (means switching on the lights to use, but it's no hardship). The problem is I can't find any way through the firewall to route the speaker wire into the cabin! The speaker is currently mounted engine side of the firewall near the steering column, so the sound transfer is obviously very faint.

Most cars I've had in the past had at least one rubber grommet for some other purpose that you could force an extra wire through if needed, but not in this well constructed beast! Any ideas anyone (hopefully without having to pull the dash apart)??

Cheers,
Tony.
I'm not near my R at the moment to verify, but I'm pretty sure you can follow the Engine Management harness and feed a wire thru it's rather large oval grommet and bellows into the passenger compartment. Mine is left hand drive though; the engine harness goes thru the firewall on the RH side behind the ABS Pump & Module. Yours is probably on the LH side of the engine bay, below the cover over the bonnet latch.

Hope I have that right.

The following users liked this post:
jagent (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Thanks for your tips guys. Steve & XJR guy got me inspired to look again today, and although I had considered the larger wiring harness grommets previously, I was concerned about getting internal access right up under the dash without disturbing the air bag panel.

A bit of quick research revealed that removing the glove box and lower panel as one unit was very straight forward. Doing that that gave pretty clear access to the already pierced inner insulation panel behind what I hoped would be another smaller grommet right up in the corner alongside (but not actually behind) the air bag gear. Back under the hood I removed the plastic covering adjacent to the header tank and presto! there was the 2cm grommet located above the larger one, right behind the hood catch on the passenger side (ie. left side for me). I had missed this previously as it was hidden from view. The rest was simple. Job now done in about an hour, and I fixed my non-functioning glove box light at the same time!

Cheers,
Tony.