XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Manual gearbox - clutch issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Manual gearbox - clutch issue?

Hi all,

I've a bit of an issue with my X300 I'm hoping someone can advise on. The car is a very early X300 (built in 1994) with the 3.2 litre engine and manual gearbox. It's developed an issue with the clutch and changing gear. Basically the clutch pedal doesn't return when I press the clutch, it just stays where it is rather than springing back up. I can move the pedal back up with my toe but it doesn't return when I press it again. Also it's sometimes difficult to get the car into gear, particularly when first moving off and when changing down. Had some scary moments when it wouldn't change down and I had to slow down quite a bit to get it into a lower gear.

Was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem could be? I'm wondering if one of the cylinders needs replaced but wanted to maybe get some advice from someone with a better knowledge of these cars.

Thanks for taking time to read this and would appreciate any advice.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

So your clutch is still working?

First thing I'd check is the clutch return spring that is at the pedal fulcrum. These do break.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah clutch is still working other than the car sometimes being reluctant to go into gear/change down. Have had a look at the spring, looks intact but it might have a broken end that I can't see, do you know if its a difficult job to change the spring?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

try to bleed the system. Should you still have problems take a look at the clutch slave and clutch master cylinders. I would just rebuild both bleed the system and be done with it.

The following 2 users liked this post by jeremiahjaguar:
andyrewm (04-03-2017), x300drew (12-20-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

yup, same problem as on mine... although there are no kits readily available for master cylinder, which is most likely the cause in mine... And new one costs an arm and leg... So I'll be stripping mine soon...

Old 12-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't suppose at that age the clutch cylinders are shared parts with a Land Rover or Range Rover? If they are then they will be cheap to get in my experience.

The following users liked this post:
x300drew (12-20-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by x300drew
Thanks for the reply. Yeah clutch is still working other than the car sometimes being reluctant to go into gear/change down. Have had a look at the spring, looks intact but it might have a broken end that I can't see, do you know if its a difficult job to change the spring?
It was a bit of a bugger on my XJS as there is no room to wedge yourself in under the dash. Shouldn't be too bad on a XJ6 though.

I too could not find any rebuild kits for the master cylinder but I got one from Just Jags last year for about 60 quid.

You can still find rebuild kits for the slave I believe.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:49 AM

Thanks all for the replies & info, much appreciated.

May try bleeding the system first to see if that cures it or failing that, look at the cylinders. Will look into the Land Rover part compatibility aswell if I need replacements, hadn't thought of that to be honest. I heard XJ40 ones may fit but not sure if its true.

Thanks AllanG for the info re. changing the spring, will look into getting another one, may just live with if its expensive/difficult to get hold of etc.

One more question , are the master and slave cylinders difficult to get access to or is it relatively easy?

Old 12-06-2013, 07:12 AM

In mine it's highly unlikely to be the spring, since whenever the pedal 'falls' into the floor, the clutch starts bitting close to the floor as well... :-/ When I looked at replacement Jaguar master cylinder, I was quoted well over 200 from Jaguar, and over a 100 from breakers... If we could fit part from any other car, even with some modification, that would be grand

Oh, just noticed your last question. Master is just under bonnet, you can see it next to the brake pump, and slave is attached on the left hand side of the gearbox, so some heavy Jag *** lifting is required

Last edited by FireCrow; 12-06-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar Classic Parts have the slave cylinder at 122 quid but also show the slave cylinder repair kit at less than a fiver. Definitely worth a punt. I suspect if it is not the spring then the slave may be the culprit. Also, make sure there are no leaks. The high pressure hose from the master to the slave can abrade and puncture. (Ask me how I know this )

BTW since you asked about their location, have you actually checked the fluid level in the master?

http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk...utch-mechanism

Last edited by AllanG; 12-06-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
Jaguar Classic Parts have the slave cylinder at 122 quid but also show the slave cylinder repair kit at less than a fiver. Definitely worth a punt.
I've rebuilt slaves in MGB's and motorcycles and it's pretty easily done. Plus, it requires a flush and a bleeding of the system - which, in many cases, who knows when was last done.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
I've rebuilt slaves in MGB's and motorcycles and it's pretty easily done. Plus, it requires a flush and a bleeding of the system - which, in many cases, who knows when was last done.
Yes, it's an easy job on the Jag too once you get it up on some stands.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Again guys thanks for the replies and advice Rebuild kit sounds like it may be a good bet. The car is currently at my parents' house, fluid was ok but dad has topped it up, still got the problem though so will need to investigate.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:01 PM

It might look ok, but you might have to bleed the system, which means yet again some heavy Jag *** lifting, getting underneath, while your dad is on driver's seat, and while he's playing gently with the pedal, you play with the Jag's nipple. It solved the problem temporarily in my case... But gone wrong again after less than 2 months...

x300drew (12-20-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 AM

Thanks, yeah bleeding might be worth a go to see if that cures it for a while.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:24 PM

Hi all,

Just a bit of an update, my dad put the car into a local garage as I probably wouldn't have had a chance to look at the car until after Christmas due to doing holiday cover at work. They've diagnosed the problem as being with the slave cylinder and are going to order & fit a new one. Not sure whether it could've been rebuilt but I don't really have time to do this justnow.

Thought I'd let you guys know the outcome and it may be useful if someone else has the same issue etc. Also through using the links on the 'HOW TO' topic I've worked out what model the car is (a previous owner put an XJR badge on the back so I didn't know what it really was). Turns out its a base model XJ6

Last edited by x300drew; 12-19-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:02 AM

Good to know! In my case, it possibly might be the slave, but master doesn't look too good either... Do you mind if I ask you how much is that 'pleasure' setting you back? Part + labour? Cheers!

Old 12-20-2013, 03:57 AM

Something like £125 + VAT, not sure if thats including labour or not though.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

If it's a new unit not recon, 125 quid is about the same as the cost from Jaguarclassic parts. Changing the slave is a doddle, literally take off the fluid pipe, undo two nuts and pull the slave out. Putting the new unit back in is the reverse. 20 min job including getting the car on stands. Bleeding the system can be a bit of a pain in the ****. Make sure the garage knows the Jag prescribed method for bleeding, it is a bit different than normal methods but works better.

Keep your slave and get a rebuild kit for a fiver, replacing the seals is easy. Or perhaps ask the garage if they would rebuild the slave and fit it instead of buying a new one?

Last edited by AllanG; 12-20-2013 at 08:00 AM.
x300drew (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by AllanG
Keep your slave and get a rebuild kit for a fiver, replacing the seals is easy. Or perhaps ask the garage if they would rebuild the slave and fit it instead of buying a new one?
Thanks for the info re. removing the slave etc. Will ring the garage in the morning and ask if they will rebuild it.

Quick Reply: Manual gearbox - clutch issue?