XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Mina Gallery Upper Grille Mesh Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:13 AM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Mina Gallery Upper Grille Mesh Inserts

Received in good time, and even got a free Jaguar keyring.

Would have been OK if the mesh inserts were half as nice as the free gift.

First impressions: Inserts were oversized and wouldn't even fit in the grille surround. I'll trim the edges of the wire tomorrow and see if I can make them fit properly.

Really, these are a bit crude, don't you think?...

Last edited by Oubadah; 11-12-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Actually, they should have been easily fitted w/o any mods or special tools to trim off the excess pieces . However, they look nice not a cheap looking

Old 11-12-2010, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by cadillac
Actually, they should have been easily fitted w/o any mods or special tools to trim off the excess pieces.
I know that. Hence my dissatisfaction.

Those pictures are of the original un-modified product. Instead of a proper molded plastic surround, it's just some rubber beading, and instead of plastic tabs to secure the lower edge there is only some gnarly wire.

I guess I did buy the cheapes ones available...

Old 11-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

They don't look too bad, but I would be a good bit disappointed with them not fitting, and the rubber surrounds. They should look good once you get them fitted. What made you go with the Mina inserts? Were you unable to find some XjR inserts? I haven't looked myself, so I don't know of the availability.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Oubadah,
I have original XJR mesh grill that I bought from Andross the Wrecker. It came with the plastic surround which I had to have painted to match the car. It seems you just have the inserts to go into your existing chrome surround?
My mesh looks similar to yours (has the rubber molding around it) but instead of the wire tabs there are metal tabs on the surround, and a screw merely goes thru the gap in the mesh.
I understand your disappointment tho. I got some smoked lenses for XKR from Adamesh which I ended up sticking on with double sided tape coz they fitted so poorly. It is not what you expect!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by TopHatChef
What made you go with the Mina inserts? Were you unable to find some XjR inserts? I haven't looked myself, so I don't know of the availability.
Yeah, availability and pricing of XJR grilles. I had trouble finding them, and when I did they were grossly overpriced.

As it turns out, the grille is frustratingly photogenic. I don't think these pics will really help me get my point accross, but here they are anyway:

That's them installed after I spent half a 1/4 hour snipping them so that they would actually fit. I'm still not happy. The curve of the mesh is a poor match to the curve of the grille surround. This is somewhat visible in the second pic. Despite the reduction of 2mm, the insets still seem recessed too far at the bottom and thrust out at the top.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:21 AM

Has anyone tried any alternative mesh inserts, such as the ones from Welsh Enterprises? None of these sites give you a decent picture of what they actually look like...

Old 11-13-2010, 04:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default xjr grill mesh

new grill inserts are currenty being offered from Jaguar at au $195.00 ea normally au$498.00 plus tax. These need to be ordered from jaguar Damiler heritage trust UK, thru classic parts on there web page quite a few parts for x300s I dont know what the after market guys charge for mesh grills but I have seen a few home made ones that took as good as the real thing.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by rommel
new grill inserts are currenty being offered from Jaguar at au $195.00 ea normally au$498.00 plus tax. These need to be ordered from jaguar Damiler heritage trust UK, thru classic parts on there web page quite a few parts for x300s I dont know what the after market guys charge for mesh grills but I have seen a few home made ones that took as good as the real thing.
Is that for both halves?

The JDHT site says they're on special, but at 75 pounds each side (123 AUDx2).

Old 11-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Oubadah
Yeah, availability and pricing of XJR grilles. I had trouble finding them, and when I did they were grossly overpriced.

As it turns out, the grille is frustratingly photogenic. I don't think these pics will really help me get my point accross, but here they are anyway:

That's them installed after I spent half a 1/4 hour snipping them so that they would actually fit. I'm still not happy. The curve of the mesh is a poor match to the curve of the grille surround. This is somewhat visible in the second pic. Despite the reduction of 2mm, the insets still seem recessed too far at the bottom and thrust out at the top.
I see your issue. It also looks a bit like the rubber surrounds are too thick. What's up with the bolts in the middle of the grilles? I'm sure they look good from a few feet away.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default More grill comments

I had a similar experience of being underwhelmed by the Mina grill inserts. While I could get past the issues identified in these posts what irked me more was the crappy attachment via screws through the mesh into small metal clips attached to the surround. I literally e-mailed the company to ask WTF. I installed them and have come to terms with cost vs. looks and for the price, they look fine.