XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Newer style upper tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts
Default Newer style upper tensioner

So today I decided I had the time to change out the upper tensioner (has the new style but TOO much upper chain noise) I removed the cam cover(glad I did, one COP well full of oil) and the upper horizontal guide looked good as well as all visible chains, sprockets etc. I pulled the old upper tensioner out (remember it's still the new style) and was surprised the piston/spring etc were all attached and in the barrel/housing. From the looks of it the tensioner has a "closed/shipping/install" position, then a "fired" intermediate position and then a full open/fall apart when you pull it out position. The sound was reduced by about 75% with the new tensioner and I couldn't help but notice a very distinct galled face on the old tensioner where it contacts the guide. So my question is should the new style tensioner basically slide apart when removed from it's "used" position in the car or is it designed to stay in the intermediate position from the closed install position? In other words on the bench from full retracted if you turn it once it snaps open but not apart if you turn it again it snaps apart. Mine was in the "middle" when removed. Which makes sense as to the noise and the galling as the piston wouldn't be in full expansion mode.... Hope that makes sense.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

YEP, perfectly normal.

This "middle" position is proof the thing has actually "fired" off from the "shipping" position.

The "shipping" position is also know as the "install" position.

The "in pieces" position is for those that just want to expand their knowledge on things in general.

75% quieter is not bad.

Mine was similar (updated top unit in place prior to fitting another updated unit), and I then decided that other items were not as they should be, so off with the timing cover, and blades/dampers with massive wear grooves greeted me, and an oil pump chain damper set sooooo far from the chain it was impossible to do what it should.

The lower tensioner piston was somewhat jammed in the cast housing, so its task was also limited in effect.

Please also note, this is NOT how the engine was assembled, as I found evidence of someone being here before.

The amount of oil carbon in the area also proved to me that "el-cheapo" oil has been used. Seen this too many times over the years.

Washed it all out with ATF oil, and once satisfied reassembled with all new chains/dampers/guides/lower piston, etc etc. Full Synthetic oil, 10W/30 only for me in this engine, and 50k kms later is still as quiet as I expected it should have been in the first place.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
JTsmks (11-30-2012), plums (11-30-2012), RJ237 (11-30-2012)