XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

No start

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No start

Hello guys, here's my problem..
It's my 96 xj6 and I'm having problems getting it started if it even starts at all as of late..
When I turn it over if it doesn't fire right on up it won't start at all. The only way I found to start it is to disconnect the fuel line away from the rail and amazingly it'll start that way. I found this out when I was checking to see if I was getting fuel to the injectors.. But once I connect the line again it just turns over but no start.
Yesterday as I was stranded at the store I loosened the line and started the car and quickly tightened the line trying to stop the spraying everywhere needless to say. But after it's started it runs fine as if nothing is wrong.
It is throwing an 0118 code and I've changed the sensor but the code keeps reappearing..
Has anyone ever had this problem and/or can help..?

Old 11-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Intriguing... Something such as rust or fuel contaminants may be blocking the fuel rail? Back tracking a little, has the car been sitting long in the open, or were there any other symptoms and recent repairs? Can't figure how DTC 1108 is related to the problem you described.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Qvhk
Intriguing... Something such as rust or fuel contaminants may be blocking the fuel rail? Back tracking a little, has the car been sitting long in the open, or were there any other symptoms and recent repairs? Can't figure how DTC 1108 is related to the problem you described.
No it hasn't been sitting.. I actually drive it everyday.. I did see that the ground wire to the sensor was broken today. I'm going to see if that indeed was the reason for the code or if I did that when I was changing the sensor out the other day. I did read that the sensor does disrupt a few things related to the starting of the car. Still makes no sense to me about the fuel line having to be taken loose to start tho.. I'll keep you posted

Old 11-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Obviously the no-start is caused by a fault in the fuel supply system. Thinking out loud, sounds like loss of fuel pressure at start up - check the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay and fuel pump and fuel filter.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Qvhk
Obviously the no-start is caused by a fault in the fuel supply system. Thinking out loud, sounds like loss of fuel pressure at start up - check the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay and fuel pump and fuel filter.
ok, will do.. Tho it seems to be getting plenty of fuel up to the fuel rail. As I disconnected the line and directed it into a water bottle to catch as well as to view if there was a flow or not. I changed the pressure regulator already but the problem still persists.. taking the filter off tomorrow tho..
And thanx for the advice..

Old 11-21-2017, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

For a cheap and easy try , try swapping the fuel pump relay with the rear window defrost relay as it might be intermittent .

For a chance that it's a weak spark different then control or timing check the condition of the White / Pink wire in the Papa Indy 1 connector position 4 . All 6 plugs get their power though this one wire as it goes through this often corroded connector located below the washer fluid fill cap .

Editing

Attached Thumbnails No start-x300-fuel-pump-relays-untitled.png   No start-x300-ecu-wiring-untitled.png   No start-x300-pi-1-map-untitled.png   No start-x300-pi1-344264-1-untitled.png   No start-jaguar-8ecmplugpins.jpg  

No start-jaguar-8ecmplug1.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 11-21-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 PM

Ok I will thanx

Old 11-21-2017, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by goodgame
Hello guys, here's my problem..
It's my 96 xj6 and I'm having problems getting it started if it even starts at all as of late..
When I turn it over if it doesn't fire right on up it won't start at all. The only way I found to start it is to disconnect the fuel line away from the rail and amazingly it'll start that way. I found this out when I was checking to see if I was getting fuel to the injectors.. But once I connect the line again it just turns over but no start.
Yesterday as I was stranded at the store I loosened the line and started the car and quickly tightened the line trying to stop the spraying everywhere needless to say. But after it's started it runs fine as if nothing is wrong.
It is throwing an 0118 code and I've changed the sensor but the code keeps reappearing..
Has anyone ever had this problem and/or can help..?
UPDATE..
ok guys I found that the negative wire on the temp sensor per the 0118 code was broken and I have since reconnected it. I cleared the code and I've been driving all day to see if that indeed was the problem.. And as of now it seems that everything is back to normal. Normal start up with no hesitation..