XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Noise on start AJ16

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise on start AJ16

Hi all,

Damper Pulley then changed and given the state of the rubber not regret my noise persists, however, so I summarizes the interventions since I have this car for the noise:

change starter
Change air conditioning compressor (I had a leak)
Change belt tensioner air conditioning
Change water pump
change calorstat
Changing belts
Change water pump
Change upper chain tensioner

Further details: noise present without belts, lower noise present when cold weather, less noise from passing this 10w40 to 15w40

5 garages ....... no solutions

This noise does not appear hot (under 20 minutes after engine cut-off) or cold (more than 2 hours after starting engine cut-off) and random
Time of the noise : 2 seconds
Evolution of the noise : no evolution since I have the car (for 3 years)

I give you the link to listen again :

I do not know what to do, I'm interested in tracks, apart from the noise the car is perfect

In your point of view: switch to 20W50 (for me it's too for the x300),

Thank you for your help, it irritates me so much that I think selling the car. with the care I have for this car and the culmination of my dream I am sick.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd say upper timing chain tensioner or worn chain guides - my XJR made this sound for a fraction of a second, sometimes when cold, sometimes when hot - sometimes it didn't make it for 10 starts.
I replaced the tensioner and this noise hasn't reappeared in 100+ starts.

You mentioned that the upper timing chain tensioner has been replaced already - but was the upper tensioner guide replaced as well? If the upper tensioner was malfunctioning for an extended time, then it is possible that the tensioner guide(s) have worn too far. Also, the replacement tensioner could have been bad out of the box. I looked at the old and the new parts (I bought a second spare) - it's not the most inspired mechanism and the machining (on the new ones) of the piston and cylinder is just so-so.

Last edited by Christian 96 XJR; 01-25-2012 at 12:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Christian 96 XJR:
Cadillac (01-25-2012), ocourquin (05-14-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Received 10,311 Likes on 6,821 Posts
Talking

You mentioned that the upper timing chain tensioner has been replaced already - but was the upper tensioner guide replaced as well? If the upper tensioner was malfunctioning for an extended time, then it is possible that the tensioner guide(s) have worn too far. Also, the replacement tensioner could have been bad out of the box. I looked at the old and the new parts (I bought a second spare) - it's not the most inspired mechanism and the machining (on the new ones) of the piston and cylinder is just so-so.[/quote]

Iagree here also.

Mine had the update tensioner, but reading here and elsewhere, there was a rising toll of the "update" also giving issues. I also replaced that tensioner, with little improvement to taht annoying noise.

I also looked at the old versus new, and did many measurements and tests, and came to the conclusion that the "new" was only marginally better than the "old new", so deeper digging was required.

I bit the bullet and purchased ALL the guides and dampers and chains, in relation to the innards of the timing cover. Included a timing cover seal just because.

Removal of the timing cover very quickly told the TRUE story. The prime guide was all but "bald", and the balance were so close to bald to scare the hell out of me. The oil pump chain damper was SO far away from its chain that there was NO way it was damping anything, so much so it had NO marks on it at all.

I replaced ALL the chains, guides, dampers etc, and reassembled the front of the engine.

The "piston" of my lower tensioner was SAD, so I used the piston assembly from my "old new" assembly (they are the same part number when you actually do the part sequence break down). I have now done 40k kms since then and run 10W/40 Synthetic oil all year round.

I believe that listening to your recording again, and again, that you have little choice but to do the same.

Mine was due to lousy oil change maintenence, or el-cheapo oil used, prior to my ownership, and with "impecable" dealer service history, really did get right up my nose.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 01-25-2012 at 02:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Cadillac (01-25-2012), ocourquin (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 03:42 PM

Thanks Francis and Christian,

I will investigate more timing chains and talk about results to you on this post. I think also it's the last operation......

Np regret for all operations I have done because it's for my jag, I hope timing chains, guides and lower tensioner will cure the problem.

I will also change the timing cover seal (thanks for the remark Francis)

Regards,

Old 05-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Hi all,

I give you some news.
I found the problem was my secondary tensioner.
I redid the whole of timing chains, tensioners and dampers. It was a good idea. In addition to my mechanic is nice I was able to attend.

Then the oil pump chain was relaxed, the tension is not simple and psiton was worn but nothing serious my sound did not come from there: tensioner changed. The primary chain, guides and tensioner was worn but in good condition: normal and refurbished. When the secondary channel noise was coming from there (see photo). Although I Avias the new model of tensioner, it was not completely committed to where the noise, heat the oil pressure maintenanit stretched so no noise, cold thick oil pressure therefore not immediate noise and hot engine oil that cools down the oil pressure and play at the piston of the damper: so the video noise.

All new and reinstalled the sound although it is new parts ..... In fact the procedure Jaguar says to put further retracted, disconnect the fuel pump and kick starter to lock (which tapped damper and clicks) except that it does not switch completely .

So if you have the same noise or redone the timing chains with the new model of tensioner, remove the camshaft cover and snap the piston manually to be sure it is sufficiently activated, I was two steps before the final and now I'm on the penultimate and no more noise .....
Attached Thumbnails

Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Received 10,311 Likes on 6,821 Posts

Hell that is GOOD NEWS.

Mine has done nearly 30k kms since I did all that work, and yesterday we got home from a 3200km drive over 7 days, and the silence of that engine and the whole car in general is simply amazing.

I run 10W/40 Synthetic oil all year round, and as said, is as silent as I like all my Jag engines.

The following users liked this post:
ocourquin (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:56 AM

Dear,

With new timing chains, tensioners, dampers and guides, I use now 10w40 too

Thanks again for your help, I've now a new engine in my jag

Regards