XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Noise from Transmission, unrelated hood issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Noise from Transmission, unrelated hood issue

Hey,

I recently purchased a 1997 XJR with 107k miles, had a check engine light, broken blinker, rattles a lot over bumps, etc. Replaced the O2 sensor and blinker, etc.

However, I noticed when in higher g force turns only to the right, the shifter makes a loud clicking noise. It sounds like a driveshaft rubbing against a piece of metal or something like that. I can make a hard turn to the left with no strange sounds. Does anyone know what this could be?

I took a video of it during a right turning on-ramp at medium speed.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6a...w?usp=drivesdk

It's hard to tell from the video but the sound only comes from the shifter/Transmission tunnel area.

Does anyone know what this could be? I've heard CV joints mentioned but I thought that would only be on a front wheel drive car.

Also, unrelated, but when I tried to open my hood to work on the car today, it got stuck up against the grill and scratched up the edge of the hood. I've never had any problems with this before, any ideas on what could've caused that? Maybe someone hit me while I was parked (on the street) and bent the grill?

Thanks in advance for any help, this forum has been invaluable to me so far.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Did you look at the transmission mount ? The engine torque could be taking it to the right . Mine is cracked but not all casting webs . The XJR has a different transmission then the XJ6 and I would assume stronger .

Attached Thumbnails Noise from Transmission, unrelated hood issue-sg5949b-2-.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 08-17-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts