XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Non starter and now fuel rail problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non starter and now fuel rail problem

For the past month my XJ Executive has refused to start.

Taking advice from previous posts I have so far changed:
1. The battery
2. The spark plugs (at the same time noticed oil on one so replaced the rocker and valve gaskets)
3. The coils
4. The crankshaft sensor.

she always seemes on the brink of catching without actually getting there.

So today focused on the fuel. I thought I could hear the fuel pump and had changed over the relay in the boot. I decided to open one of the nuts on the right hand end of the fuel rail but this moved the whole pipe and she developed a small leak under the “dome” next to the nut that goes to the rail. When I turned the key this developed into a nice spray of fuel. I am assuming this has proved it’s not the fuel pump.

So:
1. Is there a way of sealing this leak or do I now need to replace the fuel rail?
2. What else could it be that is stopping her starting?

Old 03-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

First things first in to resolve the fuel leak . I don't have any reseal options other then to inspect the mating surfaces and maybe sand them down with some fine sandpaper . Someone else may have some better recommendations .

Do you see the tachometer respond as you may have a problem with the crankshaft sensor which also controls the fuel pump to stay on after it sees engine rotation and the ignition and fuel injector timing . Do you get a brief light off and then stall ? The camshaft sensor is used in the start sequence and then shifts over to the crankshaft which may be at fault . The crankshaft sensor can fail in some aspects of its usage like the fuel pump for the duration of the run after the 3-5 second on then off priming of the fuel rail as you first turn the key . You can jumper the fuel pump to run at all time and bypass the control of this relay .

Some have pinched of the RPR return line ifs the FPR is bypassing and causing the regulated pressure to be too low .

Crankshaft sensor connector cleaning including the ECU connectors ?

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 03-10-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Yes the tachometer moves a little and I have replaced the crankshaft sensor.

With the fuel leak I am now wary of trying to start the car.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

First things first on the fuel leak . Someone may have more suggestions for you .

One thing to keep it mind is the ECU will die as you get below 11.5 volts or so in the heat of battle . And you may have pushed the engine into a cylinders fuel wash of the unburned fuel depleting the oil film seal for enough compression for a start . That can be resolved by pushing the pedal all the way down as this cuts of the fuel injectors so some oil from the bottom of the piston can be brought up to reestablish the seal .

Put your finger on the fuel pump relay and feel for it to click 3 times as the first 2 are the on then off for the initial fuel rail prime and the 3rd is the back of after the crankshaft sensor sees rotation . If not getting the 3rd the relay can be jumperd .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 03-10-2018 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Huntingdon (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
That can be resolved by pushing the pedal all the way down as this cuts of the fuel injectors so some oil from the bottom of the piston can be brought up to reestablish the seal .
Silly question - Do I need to turn the engine over whilst pushing the accelerator?

Old 03-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Yes

Huntingdon (03-10-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

I would replace the fuel rail first for the peace of mind. Hopefully you can find a good used one from the breakers.

If your no-start problem continues but you are sure the CPS, battery, coil and spark plugs, grounding points, starter motor, fuses and relays are all good, it could be a cam position sensor or poor connection issue. I find this X300's no-start checklist very useful. Good luck!

Lady Penelope (03-11-2018)