XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

quick advice on looking at '95 XJR6

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default quick advice on looking at '95 XJR6

I've done searches and can't really find info that talks about the differences between model years '95-97 other than OBDII?

Can anyone please give me some pointers on looking at the 1995 XJR6 specifically? I am looking at a 99k miler that has a little rust, original engine, trans, differential. Supposedly, it has several thousand $ in receipts so I will look them over.

can someone help with ballparking the value of this car? and , what kind of maintenance and repairs I will be looking at if I buy it.

I have a 1996 XJ6 so issues that are shared with this model need not be mentioned. Thank you!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,800 Likes on 7,120 Posts

As a conversation starter on value.....

Just sold my 1995 XJR a couple months ago. 167k miles, no rust, excellent mechanicals, very well maintained, fair paint. Sold for $2085 on Ebay ....after weeks of no interest at $2995 on Craigslist

Cheers
DD

Old 05-07-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doug

Just sold my 1995 XJR a couple months ago. 167k miles, no rust, excellent mechanicals, very well maintained, fair paint. Sold for $2085 on Ebay ....after weeks of no interest at $2995 on Craigslist

Cheers
DD
Thanks for the fast response on value information!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Cheers
DD

Aww, didn't know you sold yours! Am checking out the "completed" listing now That's actually a pretty good price considering the mileage in my opinion. I know that would turn a lot of folks off even knowing how well you maintained the car. Sorry to see it leave the family.

And on that note for the original poster, here is Doug's buying guide :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...yers-guide.doc

The following may also be helpful:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ckages-115236/

Lots of info in the "How To" sticky thread as well:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20088/

Old 05-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Cheers
DD

Wow, someone got a good deal, and it wasn't you . Very well maintained indeed, given what I've read here.

Amazing the low cash value for these aging beauties, but that very fact makes them attainable for most anyone looking for one.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,800 Likes on 7,120 Posts

The buyer wrote back after he got the car....he seemed quite pleased. He got a lot of car for the money....and he knows it

I paid $10,500 for the car and drove it for 8-9 years and 137K miles. No complaints, I got my money's worth as well.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Shouldn't be anything new to you, Todd.
You get a supercharger, GM xmsn vice your current ZF, and LSD.
Probably no glove box as your target is MY95.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:03 PM

Thanks, I am going to try to look at the car this evening. He said it has rust in the quarters so I'll see how bad that is. As long as its not too bad and the top isn't flaking clear coat, I'd be interested.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Todd, how is this working out for you?

I am curious about what you find out.

Is it the black one on C-list?

I've been softly watching for an"R6" vs the "R8" as I would be more famliar with the engine etc. and I would also suspect long-term durability to be better with the 4.0, but that's just me.

I am in Central Pa. and no real danger to your purchase... I wouldn't mess with another man's Jag or wife anyways. :-)
Good luck and keep us posted.

Bucky

Old 05-08-2015, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bucky83
Hey Todd, how is this working out for you?

I am curious about what you find out.

Is it the black one on C-list?

I've been softly watching for an"R6" vs the "R8" as I would be more famliar with the engine etc. and I would also suspect long-term durability to be better with the 4.0, but that's just me.

I am in Central Pa. and no real danger to your purchase... I wouldn't mess with another man's Jag or wife anyways. :-)
Good luck and keep us posted.

Bucky
Its good not to mess with another man's prey when he's on the hunt for a Jag LOL.

Yes, it is the one on CL. I went to see it last night, as he is only about 10 minutes away from me and I could not contain myself until the weekend. I am going to pass on this, for anyone interested.

But, to help anyone else who may be interested, I will describe what I observed. First, the Seller did not fully disclose what I consider obvious flaws with the car, both in the ad and in emails back and forth. Had I driven far to look at the car, I would have been pissed but since it was close I stayed to get a closer look at this tired XJR. The ad listing does not disclose the amount of rust and rippled quarter panel damage to the car. The rear wheel arches at the sills behind the door are rusted through and the there is rust all around the arch on both sides. Plus, several quarter-sized rust spots cover the car in areas like the roof, sunroof, hood, grille, trunk, etc. He told me the previous owner let it sit out in a field for a while and it shows. Tires, reported to be new with only 7k miles were worn low in the back, fronts were decent. Wheels looked OK but had some corrosion.

Under the hood, you will find a cracked manifold, old coolant hoses, and what looked like several places where oil was leaking/weeping. Dirty, too.

Inside, there was a clock that was newly replaced and working, as well as a new cup holder. Leather arm rest, too. (my base XJ6 has vinyl). Seats were dirty but looked to be in good condition with no rips that I saw. Sunroof does not work.

We took it for a drive and I was actually impressed at how it handled and its smooth power vs my standard XJ6. The XJR has tighter steering and the suspension a bit firmer, you notice the difference. I took a quick look under the car and the bushings were original so I guess they've just held up better than my XJ6 plus they are sportier to begin with.

Seller said he replaced radiator support and a lot of other things totaling over $ 7 k in about 5 years. I couldn't see the money looking at the car so I didn't ask to see receipts. The engine, trans, diff, are all original and untouched.

For someone interested in getting the body work done and a full respray, it might be worth looking at. Otherwise, its a very nice parts car in my book, judging from my cursory look at it. I think its one of those "tip of the iceberg" things where you will find more problems the more you look. I just didn't bother spending a lot of time looking.

What are these worth as parts cars? In my opinion, its worth $ 1,500 at best. I know there is more value in parts but not sure how much or if it would be worth it.

I'm glad I looked at it because I got to at least drive an XJR and see how different it is from the standard XJ6. I think I will keep my eyes open for one in better condition to come along.

Last edited by Todd951968; 05-08-2015 at 10:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bucky83 (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Todd951968
Its good not to mess with another man's prey when he's on the hunt for a Jag LOL.

Yes, it is the one on CL. I went to see it last night, as he is only about 10 minutes away from me and I could not contain myself until the weekend. I am going to pass on this, for anyone interested.

But, to help anyone else who may be interested, I will describe what I observed. First, the Seller did not fully disclose what I consider obvious flaws with the car, both in the ad and in emails back and forth. Had I driven far to look at the car, I would have been pissed but since it was close I stayed to get a closer look at this tired XJR. The ad listing does not disclose the amount of rust and rippled quarter panel damage to the car. The rear wheel arches at the sills behind the door are rusted through and the there is rust all around the arch on both sides. Plus, several quarter-sized rust spots cover the car in areas like the roof, sunroof, hood, grille, trunk, etc. He told me the previous owner let it sit out in a field for a while and it shows. Tires, reported to be new with only 7k miles were worn low in the back, fronts were decent. Wheels looked OK but had some corrosion.

Under the hood, you will find a cracked manifold, old coolant hoses, and what looked like several places where oil was leaking/weeping. Dirty, too.

Inside, there was a clock that was newly replaced and working, as well as a new cup holder. Leather arm rest, too. (my base XJ6 has vinyl). Seats were dirty but looked to be in good condition with no rips that I saw. Sunroof does not work.

We took it for a drive and I was actually impressed at how it handled and its smooth power vs my standard XJ6. The XJR has tighter steering and the suspension a bit firmer, you notice the difference. I took a quick look under the car and the bushings were original so I guess they've just held up better than my XJ6 plus they are sportier to begin with.

Seller said he replaced radiator support and a lot of other things totaling over $ 7 k in about 5 years. I couldn't see the money looking at the car so I didn't ask to see receipts. The engine, trans, diff, are all original and untouched.

For someone interested in getting the body work done and a full respray, it might be worth looking at. Otherwise, its a very nice parts car in my book, judging from my cursory look at it. I think its one of those "tip of the iceberg" things where you will find more problems the more you look. I just didn't bother spending a lot of time looking.

What are these worth as parts cars? In my opinion, its worth $ 1,500 at best. I know there is more value in parts but not sure how much or if it would be worth it.

I'm glad I looked at it because I got to at least drive an XJR and see how different it is from the standard XJ6. I think I will keep my eyes open for one in better condition to come along.

Hey Todd,

Thanks for the review! I was thinking about driving out from Williamsport if you just decided not to buy for "just because" reasons. For now, I think I will keep looking. If you have this on your signature in the future I'll know that you were just smoking out the competition.

I also was emailing a guy with a 1999 with 80k miles (all updates documented and complete) for $7999. It's gone.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:57 PM

LOL, I thought about changing my "location" before posting so people like you wouldn't put 2 + 2 together and look the car up for themselves - LOL. I've seen people swipe cars from others like that on the Porsche forum.....ha! ha!

Old 05-08-2015, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd951968
LOL, I thought about changing my "location" before posting so people like you wouldn't put 2 + 2 together and look the car up for themselves - LOL. I've seen people swipe cars from others like that on the Porsche forum.....ha! ha!

..... all's fair in love and war?

Yeah, that's pretty low, especially when someone is reaching out to the community for help in validating the car the are looking into.

Well, good news is that your curiosity was satisfied, and you can sleep well at night knowing you had a chance to fully check it out.

I was more than a little nervous about losing my $500 deposit on mine that I flew in to Houston from Raleigh for final inspection, purchase and drive back to NC! But the stars aligned, and I "got a good one"

Old 05-08-2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
..... all's fair in love and war?

Yeah, that's pretty low, especially when someone is reaching out to the community for help in validating the car the are looking into.

Well, good news is that your curiosity was satisfied, and you can sleep well at night knowing you had a chance to fully check it out.

I was more than a little nervous about losing my $500 deposit on mine that I flew in to Houston from Raleigh for final inspection, purchase and drive back to NC! But the stars aligned, and I "got a good one"

Al, I totally agree and would never undercut someone if I thought they were TRULY interested. I don't need anything that bad. It is ironic because I had contacted that seller and was debating on making a roadtrip tomorrow had Todd not mentioned He was looking at and then filled us all in as to its condition. I must admit, if it was closer,I would still go look at it with $1200 or $1300 cash in my pocket.

Bucky