XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

runs horrible like on 4/6 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default runs horrible like on 4/6 cylinders

k lets start with where this all started...
one day go out to start it earlier this month just as it started getting cold the car ran bad with bit of shuddering when accelerating from stop like it had some miss fires goin on. but still drove ok at speed
this continued for like 3 or 4 days. i went to try get codes read and no misfire codes no nothing so i decided to run the **** outta it thinking it was bad gas or funky injector or something. and it got better and went away actually for week or so then started the same thing again. this time it progressed and got way worse to the point of if i didnt give it gas it would die
progressed even further the other day and wouldnt start for me after work
would just crank and crank no start battery is new and good with strong charge. k so after a tow home 55 bucks to go 2 blocks checked stuff.
has great fuel pressure
has spark on every coil
has 160-170 compression on every cylinder
tried a new crank sensor that wasnt it still ran the same which is barely at all.
i read something on here the other day about a temp sensor that when bad can cause it to use a default fuel map or mixture which could be causing this but im not sure what sensor was talking about. the problem cropped up just as it was getting cold and where i live its been at freezing temperature.

plz help me im very confused
car ran superbly just 3 weeks ago
i only drive it 2 blocks to work and 2 blocks home everyday and drive it like a granny

oh its a 95 xj6 auto had it for just over a year bought it from dude didnt know what problem it had turned out just needed fuel pump other repairs were only suspension related to pass inspection and have a smooth ride also got new plugs when i bought it

Old 01-24-2016, 06:26 PM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

1) Get six new Champion RC12YC plugs and gap them to .035
2) Check coil packs
3) Check 'em again
4) Have oxygen sensor reset performed.

Last edited by SD96XJ6L; 01-24-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:34 PM

k i feel like you didnt read eveyrthing...
plugs arent old
i did compression test so i know how to get to plugs
i said i tested spark *on every coil pack and harness plug*
i didnt say this in post but the filter was replaced when i put fuel pump in
yeah new fuel pump yr ago and pressure was tested today its fine

Old 01-24-2016, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

My gut feeling is that you have a coil problem....as coils are notoriously problematic on these cars and can fail ....or partially fail....in mysterious ways. Personally, I'd buy a new one and try it in all positions.

Did you inspect the plug boots for burn-thru?

One time I battled a weird misfire. Long story. After making umpteen checks of this and that, having the injectors professionally cleaned, etc I replaced the plugs...simply on a whim. Problem solved....which was very surprising as the ones I took out looked perfect and were only a few months old. Weird.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-24-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
My gut feeling is that you have a coil problem.... plugs...simply on a whim. Problem solved....
Cheers
DD
ight point taken cars are strange and plugs worth a shot.
the coil thing though i have this tool you hook up that lights up so you can see if you have spark easily and i used it on every coil pack and harness plug. they seemed fine there they all sparked as they should. and the coils looked ok visually inspecting them the boots didnt seem to have any tears or burn marks.

do you have any feed back on the sensor im talking about? i think ive found what sensor it was after some research its the coolant temperature sensor could it have to do with this problem im having? its running so bad that im afraid to have it running at all the engine shakes wildly and it actually wont even stay running on its own. im afraid of doing dmg to leave it running this way even long enough to swap a few coil packs

Old 01-24-2016, 07:41 PM

k i just tried this cranking it over in the dark thing everyone is always mentioning with the coils didnt see anything at all

Old 01-24-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nickxj6
ight point taken cars are strange and plugs worth a shot.
the coil thing though i have this tool you hook up that lights up so you can see if you have spark easily and i used it on every coil pack and harness plug. they seemed fine there they all sparked as they should.

That's good but I'm afraid it isn't 100% definitive.

Nor is my gut feeling about your coils

and the coils looked ok visually inspecting them the boots didnt seem to have any tears or burn marks.

Good !

do you have any feed back on the sensor im talking about? i think ive found what sensor it was after some research its the coolant temperature sensor could it have to do with this problem im having? its running so bad that im afraid to have it running at all the engine shakes wildly and it actually wont even stay running on its own. im afraid of doing dmg to leave it running this way even long enough to swap a few coil packs

If the coolant temp sensor fails 'cold' it'll tell the computer that the engine is cold even after it is warmed up. This will result in overfueling. A cold engine likes the extra fuel. A warm engine doesn't. Pretty much like driving with the choke stuck on an old fashioned carbureted car

Cheers
DD

Old 01-24-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

k i just tried this cranking it over in the dark thing everyone is always mentioning with the coils didnt see anything at all

That's a one-way test!

If you see flashing in the epoxy at the top of the coil you know it's bad. Lack of flashing, however, doesn't prove the coil is good.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-24-2016, 08:33 PM

If the coolant temp sensor fails 'cold' it'll tell the computer that the engine is cold even after it is warmed up.
k so what if it failed when it is "hot" or "warm" would that cause my issue in the cold so it isnt getting enough fuel?

and the coils thing i might try that again now i have a better idea what im looking foor ill look into the epoxy area for some arcing
but i get the feeling it woulda jumped out at me and been something i noticed

Old 01-24-2016, 08:38 PM

If the coolant temp sensor fails 'cold' it'll tell the computer that the engine is cold even after it is warmed up. This will result in overfueling. A cold engine likes the extra fuel. A warm engine doesn't.
my car doesnt get warm... like ever. as i said i drive it 2 blocks to work and back every day... or i did rather. and i really just jump in and go. atm as i mentione dthe way it runs is scary im afraid to have it run like that for long at all so its definately cold it gives me feeling of running on half the cylinders its that bad but it has compression, fuel, and spark so im confused

Old 01-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

but it has compression, fuel, and spark so im confused

That's what it takes to make it run. And it does run !

Making it run correctly is another matter

Cheers
DD

Old 01-24-2016, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

k so what if it failed when it is "hot" or "warm" would that cause my issue in the cold so it isnt getting enough fuel?

Sure, if the engine is stone cold but the sensor is sending a hot or warm signal to the computer the engine will run poorly....but more like coughing or hesitating.... and not so much a 'misfire'-like symptom

Cheers
DD

Old 01-25-2016, 12:34 AM

Sure, if the engine is stone cold but the sensor is sending a hot or warm signal to the computer the engine will run poorly....but more like coughing or hesitating....
the coughing or hesitation is how this all started though it just progressed as it got colder and colder. so im feeling pretty good about buying one now imma get one them and see what happens. also gonna suffer though hearing it run like *** and do the coil test where i pop them off one by one try find a bad one if i even have a bad one.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

If you have an OBD scanner that will give mode 1 data, you can read the engine coolant temperature and see what the ecu is getting for an engine temperature. However, the temperature sensor is cheap enough, so I would juist go ahead and replace it.

BTW, if you could use some "standard English" capitalization, grammar, and punctuation, it would make your posts easier to read.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:38 PM

ordered the coolant temperature sensor just now gonna be a week to get here. forgot to get plugs to try so ill do that tomorrow.
probably worth noting that ive had and been ignoring a o2 trouble code with the car
aswell as the secondary air pump code that everyone apparently gets.
it came to mind this morning that i should state these bits as the combination paired with what ever this new problem is is why it runs so completely horribly at the moment. but to be clear it ran perfectly fine last winter and all summer with those same codes.

Last edited by nickxj6; 01-25-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Check/clean your engine ground strap yet?

Old 01-25-2016, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Check/clean your engine ground strap yet?
ill look at it but i think i remember noting it when i bought it and wasnt starting then till i did fuel pump

Old 01-26-2016, 06:14 PM

i feel like such a fool and like ive wasted your time here...
I replaced the plugs...simply on a whim. Problem solved. Weird.

Cheers
DD
yup problem solved lol im really happy but feel totally foolish. i will happily buy plugs for this thing every 6 months no problem.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

i feel like such a fool and like ive wasted your time here...

yup problem solved lol im really happy but feel totally foolish. i will happily buy plugs for this thing every 6 months no problem.

Nothing to feel foolish about.

This cars are spark plug sensitive, it seems. All sorts of stories in the archives about weird spark plug issues.

Congratulations on getting it sorted.

Cheers
DD