XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Steering groaning

Old 02-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Steering groaning

Advice please.
Recently I've noticed a groaning noise from the steering of my X300. Today I set out from my home on a 40 minute each way journey and immediately noticed the noise. I had to stop for a few minutes a couple of miles into my journey and I noticed that, with the engine running, if I moved the steering wheel only slightly to the left or right I could hear the noise.
As my journey progressed though, the noise seemed to diminish and at the end of the outward journey, I left the engine running and moved the wheel to the left and right and there was no noise. Likewise on the return journey about an hour later I couldn't hear the noise and when I got home I left the engine running and moved the wheel and again there was no noise.
From today's experience and that on other days recently it would seem that the noise is only noticeable when the system is cold or running from cold at the beginning of a journey.
I'm guessing that it's connected with the power steering in some way, but that's all it is, a guess.
Anyone any advice or help please on what it could be?
Thanks.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 902 Likes on 511 Posts

At the risk of stating the obvious, sound like the PAS fluid is low. Have you checked it?

If the fluid is only a bit low, as it heats it will expand to a level that will no longer cause the groaning which could be why you don't get the symptoms when hot.

If topping up the fluid fixes the symptoms, look for leaks at rack and reservoir and hoses.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 10,282 Likes on 6,803 Posts

Mine did that.

Power steer pump is an alloy affair, and LOVES fresh fluid, as do we humans.

I use Full Synthetic Trans Fluid, and the noise is significantly reduced.

Later that year I changed the 4 balljoints and the 2 tierod ends.

Noise GONE.

Refresh that fluid every year in an X300. Takes all of 5 minutes, tops.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:39 AM

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.
If it is the power steering pump fluid low, is this something I can top up myself as I can with engine oil or transmission fluid? How do I check the level, or more importantly perhaps, where is the pump and is it accessible from the engine bay? Not in a position of getting under the car in any way, so would take it to a garage to do this if necessary.
I searched threads and one mentioned using a syringe to withdraw the fluid! Is there a drain plug? If so suspect access from underneath is necessary.
Question again for my benefit, where is the pump?
BTW as for any leaks, I've not noticed any on the garage floor and the car sometimes stands unused for several days. Guess I would see signs of a leak - yes? But perhaps it only leaks when the steering is used and the pump and engine are running?
Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited by biffta; 02-17-2016 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 902 Likes on 511 Posts

Yes you can check the fluid yourself. It is covered in your Vehicle Care handbook.

If you don't have that book you should try and get it (I think it can be downloaded via the Sickies section). In the mean time I've attached a copy of the relevant pages for PAS fluid check.

If you need to top up, use Dexron III fluid - the same as you put in the transmission.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PAS Top Up.pdf (172.2 KB, 139 views)
Old 02-17-2016, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by b1mcp
Yes you can check the fluid yourself. It is covered in your Vehicle Care handbook.

If you don't have that book you should try and get it (I think it can be downloaded via the Sickies section). In the mean time I've attached a copy of the relevant pages for PAS fluid check.

If you need to top up, use Dexron III fluid - the same as you put in the transmission.
Thanks very much. I have the handbook, but didn't think to look in it! Stupid eh? I thought that this would be a check not for an owner to do, but clearly I was wrong.
Just found it in the book. And to think I used to do a lot of car servicing jobs myself. Shows how lazy I've become. Perhaps it's an age thing!
Anyway off outside now to try to top it up as I think I have some of the fluid in my garage.
Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:36 AM

Done it! It was low and I had some Dexron III fluid in the garage. Can't believe I ignored this simple task, especially as only yesterday I checked and topped up the engine oil.
Will see if it makes a difference to the noise, but despite this, topping it up must be a good thing!
Very ashamed and embarrassed. Head hung low!
A big thank you for the replies and the help.

The following 2 users liked this post by biffta:
Grant Francis (02-17-2016), Tony Davison (09-22-2019)
Old 02-17-2016, 05:28 AM
Received 10,282 Likes on 6,803 Posts

And when you refresh that fluid, simply SUCK it out from that same container with a suitable syringe, refill as you just did, then do the same in a few days time.

It will take 4 or 5 of those simple "suck and refill" cycles to raise the concentration level of ALL the fluid to near "fresh" status.

Follow the LARGE hose out of the bottom of that container, it will travel down and forward, ever so slightly. When you see the other end, that is the pump. It is mechanically driven by the timing chain, so NO belt to snap, like other cars.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
And when you refresh that fluid, simply SUCK it out from that same container with a suitable syringe, refill as you just did, then do the same in a few days time.

It will take 4 or 5 of those simple "suck and refill" cycles to raise the concentration level of ALL the fluid to near "fresh" status.

Follow the LARGE hose out of the bottom of that container, it will travel down and forward, ever so slightly. When you see the other end, that is the pump. It is mechanically driven by the timing chain, so NO belt to snap, like other cars.
Thanks for that tip. I'm out in an area of Spain that is a little away from large towns or cities, but will look around for a suitable syringe, though from where I don't know perhaps my pharmacy or doctor may know. I'll ask around. Maybe my trusted friend Amazon will have one. Will check.
Thanks again for the advice and assistance. Very much appreciated.

Last edited by biffta; 02-17-2016 at 05:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by biffta
Thanks for that tip. I'm out in an area of Spain that is a little away from large towns or cities, but will look around for a suitable syringe, though from where I don't know perhaps my pharmacy or doctor may know. I'll ask around. Maybe my trusted friend Amazon will have one. Will check.
Find a shop that sells baby stuff. (a pharmacy should work) Ask for a "bugger-snatcher!" You'll be well-set.

Alternative: Try a kitchen-supply outfit, inquire about turkey basters....

Old 02-17-2016, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Found a couple of oil suction pumps with tubes on Amazon Spain. Seem ideal. May order one.
Thanks again.