XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Talk me out of this 97 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Talk me out of this 97 XJR

I so liked a similar titled thread that I've plaigerized it

I have been looking at the following 1997 XJR and been talking to the owner. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger.

Jaguar XJR Sport | eBay

We have discussed it a little in the following thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eriors-115325/

So far the car and its details appears legit....

The Carfax shows regular maintenance, and the only issue being a minor fender bender a few years back where it was hit in the rear in Florida. This is also shown in the "vehicle report" linked through the auction. Photos of the trunk well do not seem to show any issues where damage had been significant enough to have intruded beyond the bumper. And photos of the rear also look very clean. So I think the rear hit was indeed minor.

According to the Carfax, the car spent its first 4-5 years in Colorado and only racked up about 15k miles, then it went to Florida, and now the current owner has it up in New Jersey since late 2013. He's a dealer that is apprently into Jags, and only kept it for a daily driver while he was looking to turn it over after picking it up at the auction. He says spring is here and he's ready for another XJS.

The photos are very good and seem to show a car that has been well cared for. He says it has a few paint chips on the front bumper, two chips on the trunk lip, and one minor door dent on the front left door that is very hard to see. He says the drivers front fender has a little Sun fade that isn't very apparent, but is there.

He says the car is "fully optioned" and the only thing I don't see are the rear heated seats, which per another thread we have going... 97s may not have had? But that really isn't a big deal, especially since the heated seats seem to give so much trouble. Also the car has no floor mats for some reason.

The current owner has apparently done all the following maintenance, of which I've seen receipts for the hoses and sensors. The new tires and shocks are pretty evident from the photos.

(per the auction details)

NEW UPPER AND LOWER BALL JOINTS

NEW SHOCKS AND SPRINGS

NEW DIFFERENTIAL MOUNTS

NEW SERPENTINE BELTS

RECENT 4 WHEEL BRAKE JOB

4 BRAND NEW BRIDGESTONE TIRES

Receipts he has also sent me show the following parts replaced:

Supercharger belt
Waterpump belt
Alternator belt
Knock sensor
Upper radiator hose
Lower (octopus) radiator hose
"Connecting" hose
Supercharger gasket

Cooling system flushed
ECU reset with new knock sensor installed
Rear bumper repaired and painted (was very inexpensive, so again goes to argue the accident was minor.)

We have negotiated signficantly on the car versus his asking price in the auction, and I think it is a fair price. Out of respect for the seller I won't disclose that here, but with all of that in mind, any other concerns come to mind that I should consider about this car before proceeding?

Anything obvious jump out as a real or potential issue, or that I should wait for another to come along?

I don't really want to be talked out of buying this 97 XJR necessarily, but am looking for observations by those who have been living with these cars for years and know what to look for even with the limited info this auction provides. On the other hand, I am in no huge hurry, so if there are enough or significant concerns, that's OK as I can wait out another.

Appreciate any observations.

Thanks
Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-08-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

It's missing the front air dam, thats not terribly expensive. It has a slight oil leak from the head, and unless it's just water from washing, it's leaking coolant on to the the engine crossmember.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you can talk him down considerably. Picked up almost identical XJR with no accident history, cleaner engine, new headliner, new brakes and rear rotors, almost unnoticeable hickory nut "dings" on trunk and sunroof but overall better exterior paint condition. I'd say $6k would be the max I would pay for the one listed on ebay, $5k if not for the new tires belts, shocks etc. Mine developed fuel sender issue shortly after I got it so reports empty tank at full ($50 fix), gasket from engine block to thermostat housing started leaking ($10 part) shock bushings gone so replaced front shocks, the clock is unreadable in mine as well as the ebay one but cosmetic issue only. If you can get the price down as you said, go for it. I LOVE mine Oh and valve cover gasket (could be the cause of the oil leaking) $40 in parts EASY do at home job. When you buy if he is local ask who he gets to do his work. I asked same question and got in touch with local guy that works after hours for $40/hr and I get to help.

Good luck, keep us posted

Old 04-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I really wonder about what appears to be a non-standard steering wheel. This is TOTALLY subjective on my part, but one thing that makes the XJR feel special to me is their darker interior (black steering wheel, darker wood veneer). It makes it feel as "cool" on the inside as it does on the outside. So based on that I would pass on this one. Unless I could find documentation that it came from the factory like that. It's weird because otherwise it looks pretty solid.

Is an AutoCheck report as thorough as a CarFax report?

This one has been on Dallas Craigslist for a while. I bet he would come down on the price. Although I have no connection with the car or owner at all.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/4397638034.html

It was there when I found mine several months ago. If you don't want the red one, I might be able go check it out for you. It would give me an excuse to check out another XJR6 (and show off mine).

Last edited by 95XJRBlack; 04-08-2014 at 07:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (04-13-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Oh, and the clock is dead, that's another $90 he can knock off the price.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Looks like a nice XJR6. Clean and well maintained.

I looks like someone loved this one.

I love the wood trim in the interior. Nice color and grain.

I would buy it.

Vector

Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
We have negotiated signficantly on the car versus his asking price in the auction, and I think it is a fair price. Out of respect for the seller I won't disclose that here,

If the price is 'in the ballpark', and you're happy with it...well....that's sounds good to me. You know, sometimes people get a bit too fixated on price. I've let some really nice cars slip thru my hands and ended up kicking myself because I was too worried about the right price rather than the right car.

but with all of that in mind, any other concerns come to mind that I should consider about this car before proceeding?

I think you've covered all the bases. Nothing jumps out at me that would be a deal breaker.

or that I should wait for another to come along?

If you were looking at several different models (or even different brands) you'd obviously have much more to choose from. But you seemed to have your heart set on an XJR/6.

I waited six months for the right one to come along and that was 8 years ago. You've probably noticed that the pages of Ebay, Craigslist, etc are not exactly flooded XJR/6s. They don't come along every day....and many that DO come along are pretty well beat.

Me? I'd be inclined to jump on it.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

I'd be more inclined at $6500 not $8500. Also why are the jack point covers body color?? They should be black rubber unless someone has done a re spray and sprayed right over them. I bought my 97 XJ6L with 60k and immaculate condition 2 years ago for $6000, Values on these isn't really going up. I'd go higher for the "R" but not $8500.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I'd go higher for the "R" but not $8500.

Al says he has already negotiated a signficant price reduction.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-08-2014, 08:02 PM

Good catch on the jack point covers. That appears to be overspray. A super easy fix, but it would seem to indicate a fill respray which the seller didn't seem to disclose.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 PM

Seller claims the car is "very fuel efficient". Now that is total BS. My XJR6 gets about 14MPG. Seems he's trying a bit too hard...like he's selling real estate.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

It's funny this thread shows up now. I've been cleaning up my 96 XJ6 for sale soon and maybe even the 97 VDP to get a 95-97 XJR. I've put the red one listed on ebay on my watch list. I, too, think the asking is high. Since you state you have negotiated it down to a comfortable point, why not do it. I remember seeing one or two red (I think it was Carnival red?) come through Union Park Jaguar. One I put an oil pan on since the owner somehow poked a hole in it. I always liked that color, alot. The turquoise one on the Dallas craigslist is probably similar condition but a MUCH rarer color (that doesn't always translate to a desirable color, though). The same color is on Autotrader in the Miami area.

All in all, If you are happy with the price and condition, go for it.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Al says he has already negotiated a signficant price reduction. Cheers DD
Whoops didn't read that far down....if it's had a re spray I'd run away fast, both jack point rubbers appear to be body color but it may be light trick from the camera.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Regarding the steering wheel, I've found several examples of XJR's with the light wood, trim and "standard" wood steering wheel. I think the wheel with "XJR" versus the Jaguar head crest may have also varied from 95 to 97 as I've seen some black steering wheels with the crest on some XJRs. So that seems normal.

Regarding "Autocheck" versus "Carfax".... not sure which might be superior, but I pulled a Carfax as well and they concur.

The question about respray and the jack points does concern me a bit though. That's the kind of "catch" that is very helpful and I may not have noticed. I'll have to ask the seller about that.

Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-08-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:10 PM

I don't think a seller should try so hard to over-sell any car, let alone a XJR6. Hyperbole like "the nicest one you will ever find.." taken in context of at least one fender bender and an apparent respray right there is problematic.

If I were selling my XJR, I would gladly share picture of it before the respray, disclose that Maaco painted it, and say "heck its a 20 year old car, you gonna have to look after it." It's not a Lexus. I'm honest to a fault yet I have helped my friend sell a lot of MGs and Triumphs on his shop's website and on ebay. (Shameless plug in 3, 2, 1....Cars for Sale - SPORTS CAR WAREHOUSE)

Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 95XJRBlack
I don't think a seller should try so hard to over-sell any car, let alone a XJR6. Hyperbole like "the nicest one you will ever find.." taken in context of at least one fender bender and an apparent respray right there is problematic.

If I were selling my XJR, I would gladly share picture of it before the respray, disclose that Maaco painted it, and say "heck its a 20 year old car, you gonna have to look after it." It's not a Lexus. I'm honest to a fault yet I have helped my friend sell a lot of MGs and Triumphs on his shop's website and on ebay. (Shameless plug in 3, 2, 1....Cars for Sale - SPORTS CAR WAREHOUSE)

I'm diggin' the sports car warehouse! I'm going to be at that point in my life soon! LOL

Old 04-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Whoops didn't read that far down....if it's had a re spray I'd run away fast, both jack point rubbers appear to be body color but it may be light trick from the camera.

Good eye! I totally missed that. Yeah, that's sloppy paint work.

Not sure how significant it might be. I've had my rocker panels repainted a couple times and they're due again. The wide tires throw all sort of road debris onto them.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Regarding the steering wheel, I've found several examples of XJR's with the light wood, trim and "standard" wood steering wheel. I think the wheel with "XJR" versus the Jaguar head crest may have also varied from 95 to 97 as I've seen some black steering wheels with the crest on some XJRs. So that seems normal.

All the ones I've seen that didn't have the "XJR" steering wheel pad have been 1997s. Same for the lighter wood.

The question about respray and the jack points does concern me a bit though. That's the kind of "catch" that is very helpful and I may not have noticed. I'll have to ask the seller about that.

Al

I missed that as well. Yes, worth getting an answer.

If the car has had a cheapy-repaint then that changes things.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Very cool sports car warehouse indeed

Back in San Jose, CA we had a used motorcycle "warehouse" that I'd go visit during lunch every so often just to wander around and window shop. It was a blast to check out all the different makes/models, especially all the decades represented.

So, I'll definitely ask about what appears to possibly be overspray along the sills, although to be fair it doesn't seem to be anywhere else such as around door gaskets, suspension, etc.. And check out the photos below of the turquoise 95 and this burgundy 97. From the side they both appear to have their jack points painted *shrug*

When the sun comes up, can some of you check out under your XJR/XJ6 and see if this perceived overspray along/under the sills is normal or suspect before I make it a point to press with the owner?

And yes, he is a bit zealous about the car, but he's a dealer.... so that's to be expected to some degree I guess. I've written some pretty over the top(although honest) eBay ads myself *laugh* He certainly posted a respectable set of quality photos and has been forthcoming about painting the rear bumper, so that's commendable.

Al

Attached Thumbnails Talk me out of this 97 XJR-blue.jpg   Talk me out of this 97 XJR-red.jpg   Talk me out of this 97 XJR-side.jpg   Talk me out of this 97 XJR-underside.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 95XJRBlack

If you don't want the red one, I might be able go check it out for you. It would give me an excuse to check out another XJR6 (and show off mine).
BTW, wanted to specifically call this out and thank you for this offer. I really do appreciate that very much.

The following users liked this post:
95XJRBlack (04-09-2014)

Quick Reply: Talk me out of this 97 XJR