XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Tech Bulletin 13-34 Sliding roof, X300

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Tech Bulletin 13-34 Sliding roof, X300

I am trying to replace the Sliding Roof Control Module in my 1996 Jaguar XJ6 and have Tech Bulletin 13-34 that describes the procedure that was kindly supplied by others on this Forum. The first two steps are: "remove the sliding roof trim panel assembly, and remove the sliding roof flange finisher". Can anyone more experienced refer me to where these steps are explained and/or illustrated in a manual or service bulletin? I'm pretty sure the complexity of doing these steps is minor but I don't want to damage anything by prying in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-09-2014, 02:04 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Don,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X300 forum.

It's a model specific question and members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

also see the X308 section as the sunroof is the same

there is a description of pulling the trim panel posted there.

The following users liked this post:
Don Elliott (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Elliott
I am trying to replace the Sliding Roof Control Module in my 1996 Jaguar XJ6 and have Tech Bulletin 13-34 that describes the procedure that was kindly supplied by others on this Forum. The first two steps are: "remove the sliding roof trim panel assembly, and remove the sliding roof flange finisher". Can anyone more experienced refer me to where these steps are explained and/or illustrated in a manual or service bulletin? I'm pretty sure the complexity of doing these steps is minor but I don't want to damage anything by prying in the wrong place. Thanks in advance
Put the sunroof in the "tilt/vent" position and go outside, grab the trim panel and pull it straight back and out, you'll laugh when you see how easy it is. Once that's out you'll clearly see how to get the rear trim panel out....be careful with the rear trim as it's plastic clips get brittle with age.

Don Elliott (04-09-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Question Timing of the Sliding Roof Control Module

I believe in doing lots of research before starting a project (sort of like measuring twice and cutting once) so here is a detailed question about retiming the sliding roof control module on my X300 1996 XJ6.
  • Tech Bulletin 13-39 states that the module must be "timed" by lining up two little dots and the SRCM installed while the roof is placed with a gap of 8mm between the "driven lever and the step of the guide rail" (page 2 item 1). It is not at all clear where this gap is seen as another person on this Forum has commented.
  • Tech Bulletin 13-39 (previously recommended here) states that the timing procedure is the same but describes the position of the roof for retiming as "This is the position that the mechanisms are in when the sliding roof panel pops up flush wit the roof" (p 6 item 12). There is no mention of an 8mm gap.
Both procedures require steps that are unpleasant. 13-39 requires that the headliner in front be lowered and 13-39 requires that the entire sunroom mechanism be removed from the car. All I want to do is replace the SCRM module and time it correctly.

So the final question is:
  • Is the control module timed correctly when the SRCM dots are aligned and the SRCM installed with the sunroof closed and popped up flush?
It would seem that by suitably fiddling around, the old module could be removed and the replacement installed (via one clip and a wire tie) without lowering the headliner or removing the entire mechanism and doing the work on the bench. Is this too much to hope?

Old 04-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Basically, what your wanting to end up with is the roof at a closed position and the timing marks lined up on the module.

To access the module, remove the overhead console. The module is the little black box next to the motor.

First is to set the sunroof to the closed position. Get a screwdriver and turn the motor. You will feel the clutch engage inside the motor before the sunroof moves. I would suggest moving the motor back and forth until you feel the roof is in a closed position.

Once you have the sunroof to the closed position, turn the motor to disengage the clutch and remove the module. These modules are sometimes held in with a zip-tie. This was an acceptable repair since the module would actually fall from position as the retainer clip looses tension and releases. The zip-tie would keep the module snug.

With the module removed, look at the gears in it. There is an upper gear and lower gear. You have to move the upper gear with a small screwdriver or your finger. It will move faster than the lower gear. You will see the dots as they are white on the black gears. Line them up.

Reinstall the module paying attention to how it goes into place. The passenger side of the module goes into place first then gently push it into the tracks so the gears engage. You will see the retainer clip get close to the hole it fits into. With the module in place, you need to thread a long zip-tie up and around the module. It is tricky to get it right so it holds but work slowly and deliberately. You may need to unscrew the passenger visor retainer to let the headliner drop a little.

Once the module is in place and secure, connect it to the motor and the other wiring. Before reinstalling the overhead console, turn the key and run the motor. Making sure that it goes the full travel in tilt and full travel in slide.

The tilt and slides are weak mechanisms so there could be another concern there.

Don Elliott (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 08:25 PM

Yike! Can you be my friend forever? That is an amazingly complete description of exactly what I want to do. Yahoo! Many thanks.