XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Trunk (Boot) Release stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cant open trunk xf 2011

Hello,

I followed the posts and checked all wires but all looks good. I'm not able to open the trunk with any electrical button,, only mechanically with key. when I push the button on the trunk I don't hear any noise. the light in the trunk is working.
Can someone help what fuse is for rear lock, I check on net and it says it is the one in the trunk fuse box, fuse 10, but not very sure if this is really the one.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mr

Originally Posted by kvican
Hello,

I followed the posts and checked all wires but all looks good. I'm not able to open the trunk with any electrical button,, only mechanically with key. when I push the button on the trunk I don't hear any noise. the light in the trunk is working.
Can someone help what fuse is for rear lock, I check on net and it says it is the one in the trunk fuse box, fuse 10, but not very sure if this is really the one.
I have got the same problem with my 2011xf and dont finde any blown fuse or broken wires...what is the electronic part that is fitted to the negative pole on the battery, there is also a plug with two wires.
can any body please help

Old 05-16-2022, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Willi Wehl
I have got the same problem with my 2011xf and dont finde any blown fuse or broken wires...what is the electronic part that is fitted to the negative pole on the battery, there is also a plug with two wires.
can any body please help
Were you able to resolve this problem as am experiencin the exact same thing

Old 05-16-2022, 07:17 PM
Received 212 Likes on 112 Posts

It's possible there could be damage to the trunk wires which run through the right side trunk hinge.
It could also be a problem with the rod connectors attached to the lock or be a micro switch issue.

Are you able to open the trunk from the dashboard switch?

Old 05-17-2022, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nobeel Masri
It's possible there could be damage to the trunk wires which run through the right side trunk hinge.
It could also be a problem with the rod connectors attached to the lock or be a micro switch issue.

Are you able to open the trunk from the dashboard switch?
No. I cannot open it from the dash switch, nor the remote fob nor from the button on the boot lid. It only opens uisng the key inserted in the remote (I. E emergency key). I removed the wiring loom on the hinge and found no broken wires. I even tested each wire for continuity using a Meter and they all checked well. When I press the electronic release butttons(on dash, boot lid or remote), I don't hear any sound from the actuator. So is the fuse somewhere else aside the trunk or is my actuator dead? How can I test the actuator alone?

I have checked all the fuses in the trunk physically and with a meter. All good.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:19 PM

There is a relay which controls the trunk release. Although I seem to have 2 diagrams showing different locations in the trunk, so I'm not sure which one would apply to your car.
The best way to test it would be to use a screwdriver to close the lock with the trunk lifted, then test the button release.
It should be a black/violet relay though, so maybe borrow one from another location for testing.
There is also a micro switch which can affect this which is located in the lock mechanism.

Attached Thumbnails Trunk (Boot) Release stopped working-trunk-relays-2.jpg  
Old 05-17-2022, 02:10 PM

I just checked mine and I have a single black/violet relay which controls the trunk release. There is also the no.8 15Amp (blue) fuse which is worth checking.

Here's a pic of my trunk fuse box.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nobeel Masri
I just checked mine and I have a single black/violet relay which controls the trunk release. There is also the no.8 15Amp (blue) fuse which is worth checking.

Here's a pic of my trunk fuse box.
I think our vehicles differ. I have the 2012 face-lift XF with the soft close boot/trunk. The actuator actually draws the boot in when I shut is slightly, which suggests the actuator may still be functional and getting some form or power and signal. But when I press all the electronic buttons to open the truck,

if fails to make any sound. A pix of my trunk fuse box. Only one black relay

Old 05-17-2022, 05:01 PM

That would explain the differences. This thread is on the X300 forum, I would suggest searching similar discussions specific for your car.
You should be able to find the electrical diagrams and guides and hopefully narrow down your fault.

The following users liked this post:
Cafcpete (05-18-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 09:17 AM
Default Same xf boot latch problem

Originally Posted by BamDBam
I think our vehicles differ. I have the 2012 face-lift XF with the soft close boot/trunk. The actuator actually draws the boot in when I shut is slightly, which suggests the actuator may still be functional and getting some form or power and signal. But when I press all the electronic buttons to open the truck,

if fails to make any sound. A pix of my trunk fuse box. Only one black relay
Hi. Did you ever resolve this? I have the same model with the soft close. 2012 xf facelift. Same issue. Was it a relay problem? I have the same, No response from latch using any buttons. Opens manually with key. Removed harness between boot and car and good continuity on the cables. The 5 pin plug to the latch has 4 wires. There's 12v between wire 1,3 and 2,3. Nothing between 3,4. With plug disconnected, on the car side of the plug, checked for any change in signals between all the 4 wires when release button is pressed and no change. (Perhaps a signal is needed from a microswitch in the latch for this test to work? )

I would like to know how you got on before I go and buy a new latch.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mark R
Hi. Did you ever resolve this? I have the same model with the soft close. 2012 xf facelift. Same issue. Was it a relay problem? I have the same, No response from latch using any buttons. Opens manually with key. Removed harness between boot and car and good continuity on the cables. The 5 pin plug to the latch has 4 wires. There's 12v between wire 1,3 and 2,3. Nothing between 3,4. With plug disconnected, on the car side of the plug, checked for any change in signals between all the 4 wires when release button is pressed and no change. (Perhaps a signal is needed from a microswitch in the latch for this test to work? )

I would like to know how you got on before I go and buy a new latch.
Hi,
Was this ever resolved? I also have the facelift with soft close. Latch will only open manually with key. I took a chance and got a new latch but no joy. Checked the harness between boot-lid and car for any wire breaks and continuity was all good. Does anyone know where the relay is for opening the boot on this model?

Old 03-11-2023, 12:13 AM
Received 380 Likes on 246 Posts

not likely to get any help in regards to a 2012 XF responding to a thread in the 1995-1997 X300 sub forum.
do yourself a favor and post a thread in the XF sub forum