XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Vanden plas

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vanden plas

Any leads to suspension parts I have a 97 vanden plas and the front suspension is shot as well as the power steering hose or pump

Old 02-15-2022, 01:15 PM
Received 212 Likes on 112 Posts

I did my front end a year or so ago and decided to replace all the bushings and shock absorbers on the front then eventually the rear. Most of the bushings were likely original and many were perished or worn completely. I did the work myself with good friend helping, it was lots of work but the difference was amazing.
I went for the Monroe shock absorbers, which I find to be 'ok', but I kind of wish I went for the stock Bilstein options. I believe Bilstein B4's for the standard ride or Bilstein B6 for a sportier feel.
The Monroe's are holding up well though, but the Bilstein's are supposed to have the proper feel for the car.

What is the problem with the steering? Hopefully just a few leaks, I had o-rings and the low pressure hose fail which were easy to replace.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 884 Likes on 734 Posts

This will orient you around the different component names

You will have the soft bushings and shocks on the VDP

There is someone doing their front suspension right now and he has good pics that may be posted later

Search Genuine Steering And Suspension Parts For Jaguar Xj 1995 - 1997 (from 720125 To 812255) Classic | Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts

Jaguar XJ6, XJ6R - X300 - X306 (1994-1997) Replacement Suspension Bushings (powerflexusa.com)

Bilstein #s from their catalogue

Last edited by Parker 7; 02-15-2022 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nobeel Masri
I did my front end a year or so ago and decided to replace all the bushings and shock absorbers on the front then eventually the rear. Most of the bushings were likely original and many were perished or worn completely. I did the work myself with good friend helping, it was lots of work but the difference was amazing.
I went for the Monroe shock absorbers, which I find to be 'ok', but I kind of wish I went for the stock Bilstein options. I believe Bilstein B4's for the standard ride or Bilstein B6 for a sportier feel.
The Monroe's are holding up well though, but the Bilstein's are supposed to have the proper feel for the car.

What is the problem with the steering? Hopefully just a few leaks, I had o-rings and the low pressure hose fail which were easy to replace.

Where did you purchase the parts I did the shocks and LCA bushings and ball joints what else is left ??

Old 02-15-2022, 06:40 PM

I used a combination of online suppliers, RockAuto and PartsGeek and CarID.
It sounds like you're halfway there already, but I would check the following parts for wear

anti roll bar/stabilizer bushes
upper control arm bushes
anti roll bar/stabilizer link
subframe mounting bushes
lower control arm ball joint
tie rod ends

If they look ok, you could leave them. Are you still getting any suspension noises or knocking?

Old 02-15-2022, 06:45 PM

I used a combination of online suppliers, RockAuto and PartsGeek and CarID.
It sounds like you're halfway there already, but I would check the following parts for wear

anti roll bar/stabilizer bushes
upper control arm bushes
anti roll bar/stabilizer link
subframe mounting bushes
lower control arm ball joint
tie rod ends

If they look ok, you could leave them. Are you still getting any suspension noises or knocking?

There is Knocking on the right side I've heard similar knocks due to some missing washers for the ball joint I think there's some missing hardware

Old 02-15-2022, 06:47 PM

The steering rack is leaking I believe it's been out of wack since I got it

Old 02-15-2022, 08:03 PM

It would be worth getting under here with a pry bar and see what could be loose. Could be the rack itself or another bush maybe bearing