XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Which version of IDS 1995 Sovereign Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Which version of IDS 1995 Sovereign Diagnostics

Hello every one,

Been reading through the posts and trying to understand which diag tool indeed works well with a Jag X300. The car is done up at a friends garage and he has number of tools available. Currently my car is being scanned using a Launch scanner. The scan happens only using OBD2 option and not through the Jaguar selection available. He also has IDS and tried using the software version 131 but that do not seem to connect and read.

Can some one suggest which version of the software will work with the car. I have 3 major issues.

1) Airbag warning keeps popping up time and again.
2) there seem to be a random misfire in different cylinders at different times (Fuel injectors were serviced at Bosch & ignition coils change)
3) I seem to get about 135 km to a full tank of 70 litres of fuel.

I would love to get to the bottom of the issue and see what needs repairing at the earliest before the engine gets damaged.

thanks and regards,
Karthik

Old 06-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Karthik:
1) In my experience, the IDS was not very helpful for the airbag fault. Different from my normal advice to diagnose before repairing or replacing on a hunch, the "clockspring connector" in the steering column is a good bet for an intermittent airbag fault.
2) Lots of these random misfires are reported, and many folks claim that the brand of sparkplugs is important. Others will offer their advice on this, I am sure. In my case, I have long recovered from demanding perfection, so I do not notice it!
3) If I am converting right, you fuel usage is terrible. A leak? Do you really mean you get about 1.92 km/liter? At what speed? Any OBD codes? If that is not mostly idling in place, I would look for a wet spot under the car!

As to the IDS version, I will check mine tonight and get back to you. You are trying to use JLR IDS, right?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Something VERY seriously wrong

Your fuel consumption works out at less than 5.5mpg - are you sure your neighbours haven't invested in a siphon pump?

c

Old 06-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

I use IDS v118.5 and it connects to my 1995 fine for all control units except Air Bag. I'm fairly sure that no version of IDS will can access the Air Bag unit. @Sparkenzap - it's quite easy to diagnose faults with actual Air Bags and Clockspring with a home made Air ag simulator tool that costs pennies. See my Air Bag diagnostics post here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ostics-112470/

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah Brendan, I agree that your dignostic proccedure is great. My comment was for IDS, and the problem is apparently intermittent, so your test procedure would be a little cumbersome.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Karthik:
1) In my experience, the IDS was not very helpful for the airbag fault. Different from my normal advice to diagnose before repairing or replacing on a hunch, the "clockspring connector" in the steering column is a good bet for an intermittent airbag fault.
2) Lots of these random misfires are reported, and many folks claim that the brand of sparkplugs is important. Others will offer their advice on this, I am sure. In my case, I have long recovered from demanding perfection, so I do not notice it!
3) If I am converting right, you fuel usage is terrible. A leak? Do you really mean you get about 1.92 km/liter? At what speed? Any OBD codes? If that is not mostly idling in place, I would look for a wet spot under the car!

As to the IDS version, I will check mine tonight and get back to you. You are trying to use JLR IDS, right?
Hi Ross,

I will check the clock spring connector. For the fuel apparently no leak has been detected, I can smell fuel smell on the exhaust. My friend suggested the issue is due to improper firing. However, the Launch tool what we use do not seem to throw any errors. been trying to get my hands on he older version of JLR IDS using VCM 1. However still no luck. Would appreciate advise inputs on this.

thanks,

Karthik.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nibbster
Your fuel consumption works out at less than 5.5mpg - are you sure your neighbours haven't invested in a siphon pump?

c
Well, no one seem to have noticed it. guess the amount of pollution in Dubai is far greater to make a worry on my car.

Having said that, what sort of a mileage should I be expecting out of the Soverign 4.0L.

thanks,

K

Trending Topics

Old 06-07-2014, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by b1mcp
I use IDS v118.5 and it connects to my 1995 fine for all control units except Air Bag. I'm fairly sure that no version of IDS will can access the Air Bag unit. @Sparkenzap - it's quite easy to diagnose faults with actual Air Bags and Clockspring with a home made Air ag simulator tool that costs pennies. See my Air Bag diagnostics post here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ostics-112470/
Hi Brendan,

Many thanks for the lead and the document. I was sitting and reading through yesterday and this would be my next step. got to look for a resistor now in one of the electronics shops here.

thanks,

K

Old 06-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by karthik
Well, no one seem to have noticed it. guess the amount of pollution in Dubai is far greater to make a worry on my car.

Having said that, what sort of a mileage should I be expecting out of the Soverign 4.0L.

thanks,

K
The tank holds 81 litres, but putting about 70 litres in at a fill is about right - you wouldn't want to get down to the sludge at the bottom.

My 3.2 will do low to mid 20s (as in miles per UK gallon - that's between 11.3 and 14.1 litres/100km) on shortish runs. On a long run at a steady 55-60 mph I've had the trip computer average say 31

On average I reckon my car would do between 310 miles (496km) and 400 miles (640 km) on a 70 litre fill. 135 km on 70 litres means it's practically being poured down the exhaust so you're either driving everywhere flat out or something is broken.

karthik (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 02:14 PM

Many thanks for your reply. Personally I feel there is something wrong between the intake and exhaust. Many had suggested about the constant use of a/c. However I do not think this could cause a bad mileage. I normally drive around 60-80 kph which averages around 40 - 50 mph. I have noticed the trip going upto 36 km/g which roughly works to about 22 mpg. Guess I have a lot of investigation to do and hoping to find some answers.

Regards,

K

Old 06-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

"something wrong between the intake and exhaust"

That would be the engine, so I agree with you !

Kg4dco (06-02-2019)
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default He speaketh the truth

As always - sparkenzap's posts should be collated and published as 'the gospel of all things x300, including solutions to them things that cannot go wrong but do anyway'

I've a feeling he's actually managed ahead of time on more than one occasion to tell me what I was about to break or screw up next

If he reveals he can actually interpret scan xl log files, he's got my vote for 'jaguar god, master of the universe and president of what we don't yet know about' - my position will be 'acolyte and breaker of things that can't be broken'

chris

Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 AM

Hi Brendan,

Please could you let me know if you were able to check the version of the JLR SDD. It would be nice if you could confirm on the cable you use (Mongoose or IDS VCM)

Thanks and regards,

Karthik.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

"Please could you let me know if you were able to check the version of the JLR SDD"

Hi Karthik

Not sure if your question was really for Ross? I confirmed in my original post that my version of JLR IDS is 118.5 and it works fine with my 95MY. I use it with a VCM not Mongoose.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:41 PM

Thanks Brendan. I have been searching for 118.5 and apparently not to be found any where online. Let me know if you can share some pointers.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:42 PM

I have tried to run a scan using launch - OBD II and following are the errors.

P0152 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0132 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P1193 Both front H02S Heater Circuit High Resistance (MAF Sensor Fault)
P0158 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
P0138 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
P1316 Misfire Rate above Limit
P1313 Misfire Catalyst Damage Bank No. 1

So many errors with the O2 Sensor seems to be quite strange. Any thoughts guys.

Apparently the misfire stopped since I changed two of the weak ignition coils.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member

When there are lots of codes it's sometimes difficult to distinguish between cause and effect. I would start by trying to sort out the O2 sensors. Unless you're unlucky there is likely a common cause with all sensors showing faults.

Check the wiring for the sensors. They have a common feed and common ground so a fault with wiring for one sensor could show up on all of them. The sensor heaters are supplied with Fuse 14 RH Engine bay. Check that.

Get hold of the wiring diagrams that are available in the Quick Links section and confirm the integrity of the wiring from ECU to sensors. If circuits are good and supply voltage OK then you will need to replace the sensors. I would still do just one sensor first to confirm that the codes for that one disappear before replacing all of them.

karthik (06-10-2014)