XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What are common issues with x300's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are common issues with x300's?

New to the Jaguars. I just purchased two within the last month. Both 95's with the 4.0's. One i'm keeping and one is being parted out so i'd like to know some common issues and parts I should keep to save me some money in the future.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Old 04-18-2017, 01:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the most common issues is the harmonic balancer delaminating leading to bad electrics! Definitely save that part from the other one.

The cup holder comes to mind, as do the shifter knob, trim panel on the dash, arm rest assembly, the metal latches on the door ash trays, the ash tray itself, and the cabin map-light head assembly. If you don't mind taking the doors apart, those door latch pieces are highly sought-after as well. The air conditioner veins can be fickle, but if you can save them they may come in handy down the road. The buttons on the dash cluster can be saved too, and also may be useful.

The A/C condenser, radiator, and radiator fans can be good salvage parts. As can the steering rack... That's something I need to get fixed on my XJ6! The headlights might be a pain to remove but would be useful to save as well.

I would suggest you save the leaper ornament and Jaguar badging from the rear, if possible. Not as a replacement but as a souvenir!

Welcome to the Jaguar owners club, btw! It's a fun one to be in. Not many people can say they drive a mid 90's Jag, and even fewer can say they drive one in good condition. You don't see many on the road these days, but if you do, be sure to give them a wave!

Old 04-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deckwith
One of the most common issues is the harmonic balancer delaminating leading to bad electrics! Definitely save that part from the other one.

The cup holder comes to mind, as do the shifter knob, trim panel on the dash, arm rest assembly, the metal latches on the door ash trays, the ash tray itself, and the cabin map-light head assembly. If you don't mind taking the doors apart, those door latch pieces are highly sought-after as well. The air conditioner veins can be fickle, but if you can save them they may come in handy down the road. The buttons on the dash cluster can be saved too, and also may be useful.

The A/C condenser, radiator, and radiator fans can be good salvage parts. As can the steering rack... That's something I need to get fixed on my XJ6! The headlights might be a pain to remove but would be useful to save as well.

I would suggest you save the leaper ornament and Jaguar badging from the rear, if possible. Not as a replacement but as a souvenir!

Welcome to the Jaguar owners club, btw! It's a fun one to be in. Not many people can say they drive a mid 90's Jag, and even fewer can say they drive one in good condition. You don't see many on the road these days, but if you do, be sure to give them a wave!
Can you elaborate on the harmonic balancer leading to bad electrics? A little confused cause on one of my xj6's that i'm trying to get running and it's not getting power to the cranks sensor or the fuel pump. So you definitely caught my attention lol.

Definitely keeping the emblems and leaper! Going up in my room.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

If the harmonic balancer delaminates, the accessory pulleys will slip and things like the alternator may not spin up or maintain RPM.