XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What electrical stuff inside driver's door?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question What electrical stuff inside driver's door?

1995 XJ6 VDP

Hi,

I have printed so far over 1000 pages of various XJ 6 manuals (elecrical mainly) but I cannot find anywhere any info concerning the electrical/electronic stuff "stuffed" inside the driver's door.

Who has removed completely the driver's door panel and who could tell me what there is in there (beside window motor; which is obvious.

thank you so much

Claude

1995 XJ6 VDP
1991 Audi 100

Durham NC USA

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 10,285 Likes on 6,806 Posts

Claude,

Mine is a base model 12/95 XJ6.

Had the drivers trim off to sort "remote central locking", mine had the keys, but no fobs, and all and sundry told me that the car had the "stuff", and just needed Jag fobs (programmed) to work, HAHAHAHA, at Jag prices, in your dreams.

My reason was I was looking for the "lock and unlock" wires in the drivers door, as that is the "prime" door??. Done with an interface (mounted inside the drivers door), and spliced into the said wires, and it all works, sweet.

HOWEVER, I found sweet bugga all in there apart from the obvious, window glass, window channels, motor, regulator, plastic water sheet, small wiring loom running along the edge of the opening that went to the door lock thingy, and a larger loom that plugged into the window switch pack,and went forward and obviously inside the cabin.

Sooooo, using my assumption that your meaning of "stuff" is the same as mine, NOT MUCH in there, as far as my car is concerned, VP may be different but I seriously doubt it.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

Claude,

Thinking back to when I had a 1996 X300 with door lock issues, the problem was access rather than complexity of the additional electrical items as Grant has listed in his reply. The window mechanism takes up a lot of the available space.

You must have a specific electrical issue to have started this investigation of your driver's door?

Graham

Old 06-22-2012, 07:36 AM

Hi everybody

yes I do have a huge electrical problem and I think it could be in the door

Question: what triggers the interior lights when you open the door? I see no external switch anywhere

Problem(s):
No interior lights whatsoever
- No courtesy mirror lights
- No ciga ligheters nowhere
-No clock
-No automatic dimming rear view mirror
-Seat/outside mirror/steering wheel memory works only one way (does not come back to driving position on "automatic"
-All consoles and dash illumination lights stay on at all time unless I remove the fuse 5 amp N°1 under lect rear seat (if I leave it all lights stay on and drain the battery dead) but without that fuse I have no dash or console illulination lights (and that fuse is said to be rear fog light !) So I cannot drive the car at night.
- Power windows work even without the key in

- All other outer lights are working properly
- Electrical seats are moving normally (did not try heating though)

Found so far no help in thousands of pages of jaguar books and manuals

Any ideas are most welcomed

Thanks

Claude

Durham NC USA
1995 XJ6 VDP
1991 Audi 100

Old 06-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

It sounds like a dead BPM. However iif you find something like this inside the door

put the panel back on very carefully + sell the car on EBay.

Last edited by steveinfrance; 06-22-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 AM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

Steve,

To avoid any confusion or concern over that image, I'd better explain you blow things up for a living!

With Claude's list of faults, the BPM is a good candidate as is the possibility of the harness having breaks / shorts where it passes from the pillar through the door.

Graham

Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Graham,
I actually try very hard NOT to blow things up.
As an old tracker once told me - anyone can find animal tracks, the trick is to find them with the animal still standing in them.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:13 AM

Bonjour Steve in France

Merci pour le tuyau. Je ne sais ce qu'est le BPM mais je vais trouver cela de suite.

Je suis en Caroline du Nord lais en fait, bien que né à Bruxelles, je suis Provnçal

Sorry other friends, just a few words in French. I am going to look at that BPM -I have to look for what it means and what it does and where it is located and how to check it and so on

Thanks

Claude

Old 06-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Bonjour Claude,
Have you got the JTIS 'workshop manual' for your car?
If not you can download it from this site with installation instructions.
It will (eventually) tell you all you need to know about where things are etc.
BPM is Body Processor Module, one of the many choses amusantes so generously strewn around our cars by Mr. Jaguar to make simple things complicated.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:37 AM

Hi Steve,

I have already tried another Body Processor Module but did not make any difference whatsoever.

I must admit that I am really puzzled by this and it does bug me.

If you have any onter idea they are most welcomed.

Thanks again

Claude

Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 AM

PS for Steve

I love that old Terrot that you have apparently, with 3 speed shift on the right side of the gas tank, right ?. I have had many Motobécanes, VAP, and other old mopeds and motos (in France)

Claude

Old 06-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagclaude
PS for Steve

I love that old Terrot that you have apparently, with 3 speed shift on the right side of the gas tank, right ?. I have had many Motobécanes, VAP, and other old mopeds and motos (in France)

Claude
That's the one. I started it a week ago after a year in the stable - two kicks and off it went!!
Have you followed Graham's suggestion re checking the cable runs.
There's a load of wiring diagrams in JTIS to help.
I'll have a look see if there's any common thread to your problems.
EDIT
If you swapped the BPM and things stayed exactly the same it can only be a wiring fault.
I'm looking at circuits that share a common earth point with some of your baddies.
Does the radio and aircon work?
Do the boot and fuel cap release buttons work
Is the J gate illuminated?

Last edited by steveinfrance; 06-23-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Hi Steve,

Back to electrical probs

_ Airco works
- Radio works, antenna works
- Boot opening works
- Remote door lock works
- All seat motion work
- Outer mirrors work
- Steering wheel motions work
- Power windows worik (even without the key)
Memory seat, steering wheel and outer mirror (on automatic) work when outing the car but do not come back to memorized postion when entenring and starting the car
- All outer lights work
- Wiper and washer work)
- Auto transmission normal and "sport" work
- Only one horn (left one)

Thanks again

Kind regards

Claude

Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Claude,
Like you I'm stumped.
One problem is I've only got the wiring for my XKR.
If yours is similar it looks as if the windows are controlled by separate modules in each door independent of the BPM.
If you've got a diagram for your model I'd be pleased to have a look on the two heads better than one principle.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM

Hi,

What I would like to know is

1 - What triggers the inside lights of the car when you open the door. I have tgz feeling that my inside light problem could be in there

2 - Where is the memory module (if any) for the steering wheel, driver's seat and outer rear view mirror?

I know (by a bill that I gave) that someone has been working on the driver's door for the lock and most probably did not repair properly. it is extremely difficult to lock the driver's door with the key.

I do have all the wiring diagrams but they are really very confusing and not clear at all !

Thanks again

Claude

Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member

I think you're onto something.
Both 1+2 above are handled by something called the driver door control module, not the BPM.
Here are the removal instructions
Driver Door Module (DDM
)Open the driver's door, or both doors if necessary, to allow the side windows to drop. Ensure that the doors remain open until after the battery has been disconnected.
Disconnect the battery ground cable.Remove the battery cover.
Remove the trim pad from the door; refer to Section 501-05.
Remove the door speaker from the door.Remove the four bolts which secure the speaker.
Disconnect and remove the speaker.Support the speaker, disconnect the multi-plug and remove the speaker.
Disconnect the door module.Remove the three screws which secure the module to the door.
Reposition the module outwards through the speaker aperture. Disconnect the harness from the module.
Disconnect the two multi-plugs.
Remove the module.If necessary remove the foam gasket from the module; note that a new gasket must be fitted when installing a new module.

and here are the pics

If the connectors aren't home that could be your problem.
Bonne chance

Attached Thumbnails What electrical stuff inside driver's door?-srs01-jun.-27.jpg   What electrical stuff inside driver's door?-srs02-jun.-27.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 AM
Wink

Hi,

What I would like to know is

1 - What triggers the inside lights of the car when you open the door. I have tgz feeling that my inside light problem could be in there

Thanks again

Claude
Claude,

Inside the lock itself is a SMALL micro switch, lock out to even see it, and I am thinking that if for some reason that switch has failed and gone to earth, then the interior lights would have come on, but then the timer would have taken over and turned them off, and that is where it is staying, hence NO interior lights.

I had the "strobe lights" with the LH (passengers) door on mine, and once the lock was out of the door, I could see it, and the little rubber cover on its tip, and after numerous spraying with contact cleaner etc it gave good readings on the ohm meter, and is still fine today (2 years down the track). I was not game to try and remove it from the lock, but I think some here have done so.

I may be waaaaaay off of course, but I think anything is better than nothing.

As for the steering wheel etc, NO idea, mine is a poverty pack, no such "luxuries".

Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Hi Steve, Hi Grant,

I have read thousands of Jaguar manuals (official one) and I find no trace anywhere of that door DDM on the 1995 XJ6.
I looked up Jaguar Classic Parts.com and I do not see any. I looked up eBay and seen some only as of year 2000
can some tell me if there is one in my car (there must be somekind of stuff in there but I want to make suer before i dispantle the whole door

Merci and thanks

Claude

Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Claude,
As I said I've only got the XK series JTIS, not yours. But it does seem odd that all the functions you describe as defective are controlled by the DDM in my series.
Sorry if it's a wild goose chase though.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 AM

Hi Steve, Hi Grant,

I have read thousands of Jaguar manuals (official one) and I find no trace anywhere of that door DDM on the 1995 XJ6.
I looked up Jaguar Classic Parts.com and I do not see any. I looked up eBay and seen some only as of year 2000
can some tell me if there is one in my car (there must be somekind of stuff in there but I want to make suer before i dispantle the whole door

Merci and thanks

Claude
Claude, Steve,

I have looked thru all the diagrams I have on my car and there is nothing showing inside the door.

I remember when I had mine apart for that remote thingy, I found a small loom (4 wires) coming down the rear edge of the frame (from the door lock), around the lower corner, and along the bottom until it got around the switchpack area where it joined up with all the switchpack, speaker, mirror wires, and disappeared forward to a grommet that obviously led to the inner of the cabin near the ECU in the RH kick panel.

At no time did I locate a module of any description in there. I did look pretty much everywhere, as I was trying to locate a convenient position for the remote lock interface module, and it now sits on the ledge almost where the top door hinge is connected.

There simply is nothing else in MY door. Sooo if there is one it must be inside the cabin??. My diagram of "where is what" on my car simple does NOT show one for any market up to 1998 (end of my info dates).

Last edited by Grant Francis; 06-27-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What electrical stuff inside driver's door?