XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Wheel caps/badges

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel caps/badges

Hi everybody,

I am having a problem with my current wheel centre caps and I think I need different ones than I have.

I'll try to explain the problem as best as I can.

I have a Jaguar X300 which had the Dimple alloys on it. Now I removed those and fitted another genuine Jaguar set of alloys to the car, the Starburst alloys.
The Starburst alloys are however X308-model alloys, originally.

Now I've run into this problem: whereas the Dimple alloys allowed for a certain amount of clearance between the alloy centre hole (and thus the clipped-in wheel cap) and the car's hub/nave end (which is dome-shaped) when fitted, the Starburst alloys do not leave any clearance whatsoever.

The centre hole of this alloy basically lands right on the hub, leaving no room for the fixing lugs of the wheel cap. After fastening the wheel nuts, the dome-shaped hub touches the fixing lugs and pushes the centre cap out of the alloy.

So my question is: does anyone know if any kind of Jaguar wheel caps exist without fixing lugs, some sort of caps that have other means of fixing them to the alloy?

What else can I do to solve this problem and still have the Starburst alloys on the car WITH some sort of centre wheel caps?

I could of course remove the lugs of my current wheel caps and glue them to the wheels...but that just doesn't feels right and besides it makes the wheel caps useless for other alloy models that I have.

Please help.

- Just some examples here of the wheels involved -

Dimple alloy:

Starburst alloy:

The following users liked this post:
John P (06-22-2020)
Old 09-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I put the 'starburst' on my Xj40 when I had it (now they are sitting in my attic), and I ended up cutting the retaining clips off the center caps, and gluing them in (use something like a good outdoor caulking, or marine sealant). If they won't fit on the front because of the bearing covers, hammer them flatter (while on the car), and the center caps should fit.

That's how I did it. I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong, just that I got it to work for me.

The following users liked this post:
John P (06-22-2020)