XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheels

Hi another question for you guys my xjr 96 has a set of 19" bbs split rims on looking to sell them they have been spayed in black silver bands on lip what they worth and how would I get a pic up on here. Secondly I have a set of the standard xjr supercharged alloys in need of refurb there in silver.i wanted them diamond cut but the two places I've been to in middx where I am cannot do due to the centres where bolt holes are and the space /angle up the nose centre piece.i thought the were diamond cut from factory !!!!!! Anyone know someone and cost to do thanks steve

Old 04-22-2016, 06:00 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

If you have the 5 spoke 17" jaguar Sport wheel with the deep dish around the nuts, then look closely and you'll see the diamond finish ends in the dished area, and that central bit is painted a sort of light gold colour which seems to fade over 20 years, and is hard to spot at a glance

The following users liked this post:
Stevie b (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 06:02 AM

PS
If you're in Middlesex. Then look at sbwheels.co.uk
He is near London, and has some great new old stock Jag wheels

Old 04-22-2016, 07:42 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently had my 5 spoke alloys refinished, painted a nice light gray-silver. Will post a picture when the sun is fully up here in mountain time zone.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:55 AM

Thanks guys

Old 04-22-2016, 09:52 AM
Old 04-22-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by John Dobbins
I recently had my 5 spoke alloys refinished, painted a nice light gray-silver. Will post a picture when the sun is fully up here in mountain time zone.
Check out mine after refinished. I'm actually considering having the shop spray all of my polished stainless trim with same paint.

Pleased with how well the paint goes with the gray growler center caps.

al_roethlisberger (04-23-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 02:13 PM

those wheels came up well, john
My car has the same wheels, but I dont really like them, so I took them off and put on 18" Asteroids for the next model X308 XJR, which is my favourite wheel.

I have a brand new set in boxes from sbwheels, in case I ever get an XJS. They look great on the XJS

Old 04-22-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by AL NZ
those wheels came up well, john
My car has the same wheels, but I dont really like them, so I took them off and put on 18" Asteroids for the next model X308 XJR, which is my favourite wheel.

I have a brand new set in boxes from sbwheels, in case I ever get an XJS. They look great on the XJS
Thanks AL. I'm digging them. Too bad freight from NZ to New Mexico would be outrageously expensive cause I would love to have a second set of wheels for easy swap to track day tires.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Going back to the start of this thread, the 5 spoke factory standard x300 XJR wheels were never diamond polished, but were a silver painted finish. Remarkably, mine are still going strong, without any corrosion 20 years on. Looking at the pictures above, I am envious of the deep shine, as my silver paint is now fairly dull and almost Matt, but I am holding off from having them refurbished in the interests of originality ( and expense!)

Last edited by countyjag; 04-23-2016 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

My X300 XJR rims are definitely machined or otherwise called "diamond polished" with a clear coat. The machining goes from the edge to right where the inset begins for the lugs and hub. The inset around the hub and "vents" then have the OEM light gold painted finish. The gold fades in the sun over the years and is hard to spot, but it was very noticeable on the spare. The rims probably looked pretty sharp when new and the clear coat was sparkling clear and the gold highlight stood out.

If I ever get mine refinished, I'll probably have the gold replaced with a gray that matches the "Titanium" color of the car's exterior.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-23-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
My X300 XJR rims are definitely machined or otherwise called "diamond polished" with a clear coat. The machining goes from the edge to right where the inset begins for the lugs and hub. The inset around the hub and "vents" then have the OEM light gold painted finish. The gold fades in the sun over the years and is hard to spot, but it was very noticeable on the spare. The rims probably looked pretty sharp when new and the clear coat was sparkling clear and the gold highlight stood out.

If I ever get mine refinished, I'll probably have the gold replaced with a gray that matches the "Titanium" color of the car's exterior.
Do you have a photo Al? I am intrigued, as I have only ever seen one type of X300 XJR wheel.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by countyjag
Do you have a photo Al? I am intrigued, as I have only ever seen one type of X300 XJR wheel.
I have the standard X300 XJR wheel as shown above, and in the thread below:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...-sports-85713/

In the photos in the 'for sale' thread above, one can clearly see the machining and gold accent color in the perimeter "slots" and just barely in the center around the hub where the gold accent has greatly faded.

Note that photos of John Dobbins' X300 XJR wheels are indeed painted silver because he had his painted. The OEM wheels are not painted silver. They are clear coated machined (diamond polished).

Old 04-27-2016, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Default The plot thickens....

Al,
Further to your last post, I investigated a little further, starting with the original brochure for the car dating from launch. The centrefold picture is attached below, and confirms your view that the wheels were diamond polished, and reference is made to this in the text. The different diameter and style XJ sport wheels are also described as diamond polished, which also runs contrary to my recollection.
As I have described in another thread, I drove my current XJR out of the showroom from new, and although I have not owned it all of its life, my overwhelming recollection is that the wheels were painted. Checking the wheels on the car, and most particularly the spare, they look original, and are most certainly painted. I would be the first to acknowledge that some wheel refurbishers achieve amazing results, but as I say, it is my recollection that they were painted, a recollection reinforced by the fact that I have a strong aversion to diamond polished wheels, born of bitter experience! ( including nearly buying a new XJ40, until noticing that the demonstrator already had crows feet developing on the diamond polished alloys!)
I then began to wonder whether we could both be right, ie that they had diamond polished at launch, but changed to painted. My car is a 1996, and I do recollect that there had been many wheel related warranty issues with GKN wheels in the 1990s, particularly once FORD were on the case.
I havent been able to find any evidence of a switch to painted, so in the meantime, hats off to you!

1995 Jaguar sport & XJR brochure shot<br/>

al_roethlisberger (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, I suppose it could also be another regional or even supplier variance which we have seen before on a variety of fronts.

Mine is a 97, and USA spec, but it's not impossible that some wheels could have been manufactured/supplied differently based on different markets or time frame. As you suggested, someone could have also have had some wheels refinished.

Hard to say

Old 04-29-2016, 04:14 AM

My 97 XJR6 wheels were diamond polished with clear coat as original. The clear coat was peaking is why I had stripped and painted. The spare is still in mint original condition, will post photo when I get home from Vegas.
Drove the XFR here, so will have to wait until Saturday for photo of the spare.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:54 PM

How much would a set of the xjr100 19" bbs split rims worth in black with some chips to paint other kerbed and good set of petrels tyres

Old 05-01-2016, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I have the 1996 Product Guide, which is a salesmans guide to selling the cars for the North American market. Under wheels it says that all sedans have diamond polished alloy wheels. I don't see any signs of gold paint on the photo of the XJR wheel, it appears turned and clearcoated, like the other sedan wheels.

Chrome finish turbine alloy listed as optional for XJ6, VDP and XJ12.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I have the 1996 Product Guide, which is a salesmans guide to selling the cars for the North American market. Under wheels it says that all sedans have diamond polished alloy wheels. I don't see any signs of gold paint on the photo of the XJR wheel, it appears turned and clearcoated, like the other sedan wheels.

Chrome finish turbine alloy listed as optional for XJ6, VDP and XJ12.

The X300 XJR wheel is shown below. From the factory the X300 XJR wheel is "diamond polished" (machine turned) and clear coated, with gold painted insets around the perimeter and within the center dish around the lugs. The gold tone is very light, but most noticeable around the perimeter insets. On my spare XJR rim the gold was very noticeable and pronounced, but on the wheels that had been in the sun for years it is very subdued. They were so faded that I didn't even know the accents were there until I saw my spare tire rim in bright sunlight.

I've seen a few photos where the gold accents appear to be more gray, but I'm not sure if that is a trick of the light or if some highlights were gold and others gray, perhaps depending on year or exterior color?

Sometimes one will see them chromed, but I believe those were all aftermarket.

Attached Thumbnails Wheels-59686.jpg   Wheels-img_5715.jpg  
Old 08-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, first post here.. but admittedly, I've always bee a Jag fan and long-term off & on Jag owner, and of course.. lurker on this forum.

My question, does anyone have or know where I can find a set of the xjr wheels pictured above?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Quick Reply: Wheels