XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Where is the SLCM? (X300 remote fob programming issues, USA)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Where is the SLCM? (X300 remote fob programming issues, USA)

My 97 VDP came with no remotes (fobs). I've purchased several, and am trying to get them to work.

From the helpful TSB's posted elsewhere in the forum, I've learned the following:
1. My rear window has the 433MHz antenna.
2. My remotes are 315MHz.
3. This might not be a problem.
4. How to open a remote to get to the battery (learned this too late, after breaking one by twisting the screwdriver in the slot).
5. The sequence of steps to perform programming. (I've also seen the excellent U-Tube video)

What's happening so far:

When I go through the sequence to get into learning mode, I get a headlight flash, but NOT a chirp. Is this a problem, or OK?

If a chirp is always accompanied by a flash, I assume that the lack of a chirp is not a problem. But if sometimes there are only chirps, I won't know programming status through the steps. Do chirps and flashes always go together during remote programming?

I don't get ANY response from the car (either flash OR chirp) after I press the button on the remote. Because of this, I thought I'd confirm the frequency of the SLCM, but I don't know where it is. [I haven't gotten JTIS to install yet, but that's another story...]

Any suggestions are welcome!
Perhaps there are some other forum entries that I haven't found yet.

gbmtkj

Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the same position as you well need to buy a remote key fob first,

how do you identify the different antenna?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Smile Determining frequency of antenna (to work with fobs)

ez64,

I searched X300 forum for 'Remote Programming'. This yielded about 6 threads.

See the thread called something like 'Programming a Remote Transmitter' (I'm sure there's a way I could embed a link to it, directly in this post).

Scroll down aways until you see 5-6 pdf files of Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's). The one called 18-12.pdf contains the info you need, to determine your antenna frequency. But note in one of the other TSBs that this is not necessarily the frequency of your car & remote (a certain VIN range only).

The pdf file has a picture of how the antenna (in the rear window glass) LOOKS DIFFERENT between 315MHz and 433MHz.
The difference is the spacing between the top line and the second line (that says High Security Antenna).

I'm looking for someone to tell me how to find the receiver in the car (Security and Locking Control Module), since the antenna alone is apparently not enough to confirm the frequency. I'm hoping that my car is actually 315MHz, with a 433MHz antenna, or else I'll have to try to return (or sell) two remotes that I bought several months ago.

gbmtkj

Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I do not know if the SCLM contains the actual receiver, but I do know that ithe SCLM is hidden under the fuse block that is immediately rearward of the battery, in the trunk.

EDIT**
Oops- Apparently I was confusing my XJ8's location!

Last edited by sparkenzap; 01-14-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default SLCM Location

The SLCM in a '97 VDP is accessed through the trunk. It is located at the fuel fill tube, so pretty much under your fuel door. To get to it, you'll need to remove your trunk lining. Look up into the left side toward the fuel fill tube and you'll see the unit. Unmount & unplug and you'll be able to read all the pertinent info on the unit.

Enjoy!
Bob

The following 2 users liked this post by mailshack:
gbmtkj (01-06-2011), mtbadger (03-09-2014)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Default Is this the SCLM? How do I read freq on it?

Mailshack,

Thanks for info on finding the SCLM. Yes, it's tucked way up in there, but removing the two mounting nuts wasn't too hard, once I got the lining parts removed or pulled out of the way.

I pulled the unit down to where I could see all sides of it, but am afraid to unplug it for fear that the alarm might go off. (should I be concerned?)

It has lots of info on it, but I don't see anything that looks like 315 or 433 to indicate the frequency. I'll try to attach a photo I took, so you can confirm that this thing is really the SCLM! The main marking is "LNA 2600 CC/XXX Security ECU Programmable Part".

Looks like it has compliancy info for 10 different countries.

It also has some hand-written info:
Index/IssueLevel: 02
FKW/Date: 35
LNR/Batch Code: 960212

I suppose this could be the part number: 510 007 242

OK, I think the photo will show now.

Thanks,
gbmtkj

Attached Thumbnails Where is the SLCM?  (X300 remote fob programming issues, USA)-slcm.jpg  
Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Your module P/N LNA2600CC/009 is for USA, 433Mhz, cars from VIN 758729. That matches your antenna, if your remotes are 315Mhz, you'll need to replace them.
As for the chirp, it is possible to turn that off with the Jaguar Diagnostic PDU. The flashes of the lights will always be present, so your car may have had the chirp turned off.
Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
gbmtkj (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Default USA Frequency Covered in Photo...

gbmtkj, I knew something didn't add up as I distinctly recall finding the frequency on my label. You didn't see it on yours because the USA portion is in the lower right hand corner of the device label which is covered over by a sticker on your device.

There's a photo of mine in my photo album clearly showing the USA 433 indication in the bottom right. Here's a link to the pic...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...p?albumid=2128

The following 2 users liked this post by mailshack:
gbmtkj (01-08-2011), mtbadger (03-09-2014)
Old 01-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Smile Thanks for the great info!

Xjrguy and mailshack,

WOW, thanks for the great information!

You helped me confirm that my VDP uses 433MHz, which means that the two remotes I bought (FCC IDs end in 315) need to be replaced.
The sales order says specifically for 97 USA VDP, so maybe I can exchange them, although it’s been quite a few months since I bought them (at $98 each).

I did wonder if the USA info might be under that label, but thought it really weird that they might cover the USA cert info on a USA car!

Since I last posted, I learned from another part of the forum that a wire can break where the wiring harness follows a trunk hinge, and that if the ‘trunk (boot) open’ icon on the instrument panel stays off when the trunk is open, this will prevent proper programming (since one of the steps is to have the trunk open!). (Although it seems to have gone into learning mode OK, since I did get the lights flash.)

I was not aware of this light on the dash, but checked and found that after initial turn-on, it goes OUT, even when the trunk is still OPEN.
I checked this harness at my trunk hinge, and sure enough, the bundle was jammed into tight 90 degree bend, with one wire noticeably broken!
Perhaps done by someone jamming some tall piece of luggage or cargo under the hinge?

(My trunk interior lights don’t work either, so this could be another break I suppose, or maybe two burned-out bulbs.)

I temporarily jumpered the visible break (black with white tracer), and now the dash light stays on!
Does someone know the color of the trunk light wire?

So apparently I have multiple issues preventing remote programming!
I’ll keep plugging away at them, one by one, until I get the remotes to work, I hope.

I’ll check the other wires in the bundle, and possibly cut and jumper all the wires in the badly kinked section (but lots of small soldering while working in a weird place, sitting in the trunk or leaning over the fender).

And thanks also for the information that the chirp could be turned off, AND that the lights DO always flash at the same points where the chirp would occur. I won’t worry about that part of the puzzle anymore.

Thanks again for the info!

Appreciating the value of the forum,
gbmtkj

mtbadger (03-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 PM

Just a note on the ajar message and the trunk lights. I can tell you the security system looks for the trunk light operation to signal proper access to the trunk and allow remote programming. Attached is the lighting circuit diagram.

Happy hunting!

I guess it might be helpful to have the Security and Central Locking Diagrams as well. SP

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pages from S97_SED-2.pdf (191.3 KB, 500 views)
Pages from S97_SED-Security.pdf (224.4 KB, 597 views)
Pages from S97_SED-Locking.pdf (185.2 KB, 422 views)

Last edited by xjrguy; 01-09-2011 at 02:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
gbmtkj (01-10-2011), mtbadger (03-09-2014)
Old 01-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Now I am confused!

Firstly, can I say how useful (or confusing!) this thread has proved.
I have a USA registered '95 X300 and my remote stopped being able to function and although the vehicle entered learning mode it failed to learn where previously I been able to succeed in doing so.
The remote was marked within it, 433mz so I bought a couple of new ones of this frequency but neither would 'learn'. Finally I gave up thinking the fault must be the programming unit in the car itself that was faulty and not the remote fob.
Reading this thread however and checking my rear window antenna, it seems mine antenna is 315mz.
My VIN also leads me also to the conclusion that my system is 315mz.
Now comes the confusion. How was it therefore that previously I was able control my car with a 433mz remote?
Please put me out of a state of total confusion!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by biffta
How was it therefore that previously I was able control my car with a 433mz remote?
Please put me out of a state of total confusion!
I seem to recall that a limited number of remotes can be assigned to a particular SLCM...four I believe? After the number has been assigned, it will not accept (learn) more. In this case, the car would need to be hooked up to Jaguar's propietary diagnostics (i.e.; take it to the dealer!) to have the SLCM cleared and restart learning of a new first remote.

Someone who knows better than I can correct / clarify as needed.

biffta (01-15-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Question Are you sure that they're 433MHz?

Biffta,

Are you sure that your new remotes are really 433MHz?
In my case, I ordered 433MHz remotes from a vendor, but received 315's, so I'm exchanging them.

Because of possible confusion about the antenna (based on the TSBs), I decided that the only way to be sure about the car's frequency was to look at the SLCM.

Mailshack,

Certainly there's a max number of remotes the SLCM can hold at one time, but I hope you're wrong about the user not being able to program new ones into old slots!

If this were true, it seems that the programming procedure (from this forum and other places) would mention it somewhere. Also, in the You-Tube video (Jaguar X300 Remote Fob, by migueldefender), a remote is clearly programmed into slot 1 (not at a dealer). I've got to believe that the vehicle already had a remote programmed into 1 when it was new.

gbmtkj

biffta (01-15-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 10:47 PM

I think I can clear up a little confusion. On the X300's, there are 5 "slots" if you will to program UP TO 5 remotes. These 5 slots have to be filled [programmed] each time any remote programming is done. If you only have 1 remote, it has to be programmed to all 5 slots. If you have two, then it has to be something like 1 programmed to slots 1 & 2, then the second programmed to slots 3, 4 & 5, or some combination to fill all 5.
If you ever add a remote, you have to wipe out current transmitters by programming over all 5 slots again; which means ALL transmitters have to be present or they will be orphaned.
Boy, that's harder to describe than it is to accomplish!

Cheers,
Steve

The following 3 users liked this post by xjrguy:
biffta (01-15-2011), mailshack (01-13-2011), mtbadger (03-09-2014)
Old 01-13-2011, 11:47 PM

Thanks for clearing that up xjrguy. I think I was mixing info about my wife's Mercedes in my previous response.

Sorry about that biffta!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by gbmtkj
Biffta,

Are you sure that your new remotes are really 433MHz?
In my case, I ordered 433MHz remotes from a vendor, but received 315's, so I'm exchanging them.

Because of possible confusion about the antenna (based on the TSBs), I decided that the only way to be sure about the car's frequency was to look at the SLCM.

gbmtkj
Thanks for that gbmtkj (catchy name eh?).
Yes I'm sure they are 433MHz as it is inscribed on circuit board inside the remote. My old one which did work but reached a point where it could not be programmed was also inscribed 433. The fact that this one worked led me to believe that a new one would also. Think you're right about looking at the SLCM but I cannot understand why my antenna is, according to the TSB, 313MHz but I have been previously able to use a 433MHz to control it! Surely Jaguar didn't fit SLCMs with frequency 433 and an 315 antenna? Or did they?

Finally, I have re-read xjrguy's response :-

"I think I can clear up a little confusion. On the X300's, there are 5 "slots" if you will to program UP TO 5 remotes. These 5 slots have to be filled [programmed] each time any remote programming is done. If you only have 1 remote, it has to be programmed to all 5 slots. If you have two, then it has to be something like 1 programmed to slots 1 & 2, then the second programmed to slots 3, 4 & 5, or some combination to fill all 5.
If you ever add a remote, you have to wipe out current transmitters by programming over all 5 slots again; which means ALL transmitters have to be present or they will be orphaned.
Boy, that's harder to describe than it is to accomplish! "

Thanks for the info' xjrguy and sorry to appear stupid, but I don't follow. How, for example can I program 1 remote to 5 slots? Surely if the car fails to learn from 1 remote despite numerous attempts, that's it. How can you program to slots 1 & 2?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 AM

Apologies in advance for perhaps being a bit of a pain here, BUT I'm determined to go as far as I can with this problem.
After much searching I think I've found the SCLM. It is below and near to the fuel filler pipe but foolishly perhaps I thought it would be fairly obvious and accessible. It is fact quite well hidden, further back than I thought, is light gray metal and appears to be secured by 2 bolts. I would have thought the information on the unit would be viewable whilst in situ, but it's blank on the visible side so I presume perhaps for security reasons (?), the information I'm after is on the other side. Am I correct in this assumption?
Also and finally I hope, before I remove it, do you experts think I have actually located the SCLM?
Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:00 AM

Yep! That's it!
See this earlier post to this thread to see a really good picture of an SLCM.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...43&postcount=6

Cheers,

biffta (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 AM

I've accessed my SLCM believing it would reveal the frequency for which it is programmed. BUT, compared to the unit pictured from gbmtkj mine has very little information on it. It certainly does not reveal the frequency (as far as I can decipher anyway).
I would be most grateful if someone would view the photo of my unit and translate for me what information it reveals about it.
Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Where is the SLCM?  (X300 remote fob programming issues, USA)-slcm.jpg  
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 AM

biffta, the last 3 digits of the FCC ID indicate it is a 315 MHz unit.

biffta (01-16-2011)

Quick Reply: Where is the SLCM? (X300 remote fob programming issues, USA)