XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Wiring Pass-thru; boot to cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Default Wiring Pass-thru; boot to cabin?

Hi all,

I percieve a need to route a couple of wires from the boot area into the passenger cabin. Before I pull trim panels and go poking around...thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a ready orifice? Best for me would be right-side as I am going from the battery into the cabin.

and besides...it was 25 F here this morning.....in TX! far easier to perch up on the bed and post than go do actual work!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

how about following the path of the positive cable between the rhs fuse panel at the rear seat and the high amp fuse module at the front of the trunk?

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No idea........

aholbro1 from freezing Texas; think a lot of us would like to know the answer to this one......... let us know if your probing gets a good response.

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

I recently replaced the radio in my car and as a cosequence, the cd changer had to be swapped also. I managed to follow the original cd cable from the boot into the cabin. I removed the trim that covers the fuel tank and the rear seat completely and fixed the new cable with plastic ties to the existing cable/s. The only awkward part was getting through the rear bulkhead, but a coat hanger fished through, following the existing cables, did the job. The reason I removed the rear seat was to get into the centre console and follow this route, beneath the ski slope, up to the dash. Hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by sogood:
aholbro1 (02-11-2012), RJ237 (11-30-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sogood
The reason I removed the rear seat was to get into the centre console and follow this route, beneath the ski slope, up to the dash. Hope this helps.
Helps greatly! That's also where I'm headed. I had a couple of ideas in mind, the first of which was to install an existing power plug/cigar lighter I have lying around the shop (finally found it!) back near the battery and route either the 10' or 15' USB-A to Micro USB B cable up to the center console so I could charge my phone battery with key off. Rethinking these days and I believe now I'll just run some 14 ga. wires up there and mount the power point in the box.

Took a gander around in back this afternoon with one of my Christmas toys:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

but didn't really see much. I knew it would come to pulling the trim panels off but just didn't feel up to it today...and had to do a tire rotation and remove a nail/plug a hole in one.

I was thinking the CD changer cable may be the key to what I want to do.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to bump such an old thread... but just wanted to point out my procrastination has paid off. I've concluded I don't need a wiring pass-thru!

When I initially posted this question, I had recently fitted a VDC Electronics Solar battery minder to my daughter's S-Type

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-s-type-64372/

and already having VDC's On-Board Battery Minder (Battery Tester, Battery Tester Desulfator, Battery Tester Mainteiner) on the XJ, I sought a means of powering it with a smaller solar panel obtained in Northern Tool sale for $9.99. More importantly, since the powerpoints aren't powered with the key off, I was also after a way to charge my phone with the key off.

I also had a 400w inverter layng aruond the shop that came only with alligator clips, no cigar plug. Last weekend, it occurred to me that there should be a +Batt feed and ground available at the fuse box located in the right rear kick panel. I cut the alligator clips off the inverter leads, crimped and soldered a couple ring terminals on, and Bob's yer uncle, I had a USB power port hot anytime I press the pwr button on the inverter and discreetly perched on the rear console shelf!

Couple of days' running this way, and I began to worry I'd leave the pwr button on and have trouble cranking some Monday morning. Remember, I have the On-board batt-minder because before I fitted it, the car wouldn't crank if I parked it for as little as 3 days in cold weather. Since fitting the batt-minder, I think I've had a time or two where it sat idle for as much as a week and cranked strong. So the fog cleared slowly and it further occurred to me that I had another fuse panel behind the left kick-panel. I whacked the 2-pin plug off a 1.5w solar panel and crimped and soldered a couple more ring terminals, connected to the battery feeder and gound, routed the wire up the left rear seat bolster and mounted the panel to the back glass behind the left rear headrest. Thinking I don't need a regulator as the OBD-12 uses any "excess" battery voltage to desulphate the batt, normally coming from the alternator during operation....but how/why would it know? Batt V > (unk, but think it is 12.6V)setpoint, it goes into desulphate mode.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

It looks like I forgot to bump this one last year! OK, as noted above, it is old, but I have additional info: There is a grommet and wiring loom on the left side of the rear parcel shelf.

I've come to conclude wiring the solar panel to the battery bus and depending on the on-board battery minder to regulate the charge may not be a best-practice. So I endeavored to route the wire through the parcel shelf, into the boot and power the battery-minder through it's designated plug.

A note of caution: If for any reason, you happen to remove the headrests from your rear seatback while you have it out of the car, be sure you re-install those before re-installing the seatback to the cabin. Yeah....I'll be correcting that oversight in a week or two when I get round to replacing the headliner. Reportedly not necessary, but I'll be pulling the seats out for that task.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1995 VDP Solar install.pdf (670.3 KB, 134 views)