XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Won't shift from park?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Won't shift from park?

Hi guys,

I recently took my 96 XJ6 into the shop, well had it towed there because it wouldn't start.
Symptoms: Turn the key to start position, but engine doesn't turn over, the dash lights up and the engine fan starts, but the car wouldn't start - also - trunk wouldn't open from inside and was very hard to open with key and interior lights wouldn't come on and door chime sound didn't come on. I read online that unless the car was cranked, it wouldn't shift from Park, which I found to be true. I also read that you have to use the 'manual release' located near the gear shifter, which works to move into Neutral. My mechanic has determined that it's not the starter, he can start it somehow while someone is underneath the car and another person is turning the key.
I talked to the mechanic today and he said he can't shift it out of park, even when cranked, without use the manual release. Thinks it could be a neutral switch or something like that. Any idea what this could be?

When I cranked it before, I could shift without any problems. Mechanic is thinking the starting issue is related to the shifting issue.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

If it wont shift out of park its probably the gearshift solenoid lock. This is a "plunger" type device, electrically operated, that pushes a locking bar out of the way of the shifter to allow it to be moved. It is activated by a switch on the brake pedal, like the brake lights, so thats a good place to start. The solenoid itself is beneath the ski slope on the passenger side of the shifter (RHD).

Refusing to crank can be related, as the car thinks its in gear. Check also the "Not in park" switch, also beneath the ski slope, drivers side of the shifter (RHD) Sometimes moving the shifter about, slightly, slowly, while turning the key will do the trick, or try starting in neutral.

Hope his helps.

The following users liked this post:
Brad Livengood (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by sogood
If it wont shift out of park its probably the gearshift solenoid lock. This is a "plunger" type device, electrically operated, that pushes a locking bar out of the way of the shifter to allow it to be moved. It is activated by a switch on the brake pedal, like the brake lights, so thats a good place to start. The solenoid itself is beneath the ski slope on the passenger side of the shifter (RHD).

Refusing to crank can be related, as the car thinks its in gear. Check also the "Not in park" switch, also beneath the ski slope, drivers side of the shifter (RHD) Sometimes moving the shifter about, slightly, slowly, while turning the key will do the trick, or try starting in neutral.

Hope his helps.
Thank you very much for the reply. Does RHD mean a Jag that the drivers side is on the right?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Does the "P" in the gearshift indicator glow red with the key on and gearshift in "P"? If so, the sytem recognizes that the trans in in "Park".

If not, it doesn't.

Yes, RHD = right hand drive = driver sits on the right.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Does the "P" in the gearshift indicator glow red with the key on and gearshift in "P"? If so, the sytem recognizes that the trans in in "Park".

If not, it doesn't.

Yes, RHD = right hand drive = driver sits on the right.

Cheers
DD

Thanks DD, before I took it to the mechanic, the P was glowing red. Before it was in the shop, the problem was it wouldn't crank, but the few times I got it to, it would go from Park to Drive with no issues. Now they are saying that when starting it by bypassing the ignition switch, it won't move out of Park unless they use the manual release. The last time I talked to them today, they were thinking a Neutral Switch. I haven't talked to them since. But to answer your question, I don't know if the P is glowing red now or not.

Also, I'm in USA, so my car is left-hand driven. I'm assuming that means the parts are in the same place, just on the opposite side LH side instead of RH side?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Livengood
Also, I'm in USA, so my car is left-hand driven. I'm assuming that means the parts are in the same place, just on the opposite side LH side instead of RH side?

Many parts are in the same location either way. I thiink all the gearshift stuff is the same.

Actually the LHD-RHD thing doesn't matter as "left" and "right" are always (well, should always be) expressed as if sitting in the car looking forward. Thus, the "right side of the console", for example, is the same whether the car is LHD or RHD.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 AM

When my interia switch hit by a pot hole I had the same problems. I am not saying its the same as your issue. I use a chopstick or a star screwdriver.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by JagfanNYC
When my interia switch hit by a pot hole I had the same problems. I am not saying its the same as your issue. I use a chopstick or a star screwdriver.
Thanks JagFan, did your engine turn over and just not start or did nothing happen when the key was turned to start?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Many parts are in the same location either way. I thiink all the gearshift stuff is the same.

Actually the LHD-RHD thing doesn't matter as "left" and "right" are always (well, should always be) expressed as if sitting in the car looking forward. Thus, the "right side of the console", for example, is the same whether the car is LHD or RHD.

Cheers
DD
Thanks Doug, I was just making sure, since he had used the verbage "passenger side".

Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Livengood
Thanks JagFan, did your engine turn over and just not start or did nothing happen when the key was turned to start?
Nothing happened when the key was turned on. It was like I turned the key while having no battery hooked up.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 PM

Nothing happened when the key was turned on. It was like I turned the key while having no battery hooked up.
That's really interesting. I told my mechanic that and he said the inertia switch only turned off the fuel pump and that it would still turn over, but not crank. The only thing is, I haven't hit a pot hole or anything that I remember. I am really dreading what my bill is gonna be.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM

So my mechanic finally figured out the problem. It's the Neutral Safety Switch, at least that what he says from all of this diagnostic testing over the last two weeks. I was really happy to hear they knew the problem, but I almost lost my lunch when I heard the price of over $1000! Thankfully, I did some research and found a used part that is in excellent condition with a warranty on Ebay for $200. That is still a crazy price to me, considering most cars the cost is less than $50. With that said, Jaguar's certainly aren't 'most cars'.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Glad to hear you got sorted. "Neutral safety switch" is a new one on me, but it sounds awful like the suggested, "Not in park" switch. This is a simple microswitch and in the event that its unavailable, there are a multitude of generic types available through radioshack or similar, costing a couple of pounds/euros/dollars.

Can you elaborate on what and where exactly is your switch? Just curious.

Thanks

Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 PM

It did sound like the NSS, did your brake lights come on?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by sogood
Glad to hear you got sorted. "Neutral safety switch" is a new one on me, but it sounds awful like the suggested, "Not in park" switch. This is a simple microswitch and in the event that its unavailable, there are a multitude of generic types available through radioshack or similar, costing a couple of pounds/euros/dollars.

Can you elaborate on what and where exactly is your switch? Just curious.

Thanks
It's not a micro switch, I wish it was though, would be much cheaper. I'm not where the part is located, but here's a pic of the part.

e

Attached Thumbnails Won't shift from park?-jagneutralsafetyswitch.jpg  
Old 12-21-2012, 01:00 PM

It did sound like the NSS, did your brake lights come on?

I'm not sure, I haven't seen it since it's been in the shop.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:02 PM

So, my car still isn't fixed. The part I ordered was bad, so I'll be sending it back. Been going through this for 5 weeks now. My mechanic is going to bypass the neutral safety switch and install a start button that will start the car. Also said I would have no issues shifting the gear selector.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

From the picture, that looks to me like something known as the "rotary switch", which does more than let the car know whether it's in Park. It also lets the car know which position the shifter is in and, thus, does control the shifting. I became familiar with mine last year when I was having starting problems (which turned out to be the body control module).

Your mechanic is right; that device certainly can prevent cranking. But it's only one of about five things in the electrical path which can.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks tsfo2,

The mechanic said he had tested everything and is certain it is the neutral safety switch/rotary switch....fingers crossed it will be ready tomorrow.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My car did this on christmas eve, the shift lock soleniod would usually make a click noise when the brake pedal was pushed, it wasnt doing it, it was a VERY cold day here, -7 or so, I took the whole center console apart, tried cleaning the park switch, everything, popped the hood and listened if the starter relay was clicking, couldnt hear anything, slammed the hood in disgust and tried it one more time, started right up perfectly, dont know what it was, but It was enough to get me raging, I contributed it to a short trip I took to the store earlier the previous day. Good luck!.

Quick Reply: Won't shift from park?