XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 EGR aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default X300 EGR aftermarket

I am having trouble locating a new EGR for a reasonable price in Canada.

Has anyone tried an aftermarket or third party EGR?

On Partsgeek and Rockauto there are cross reference listing from GM and other companies and the parts look quite similar.

97 1997 Jaguar XJ6 EGR Valve - Air Intake - AC Delco, Standard Motor Products - PartsGeek

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS EGV1109

More Information for AIRTEX / WELLS 4F2005

Has anyone tried any of these?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2015, 12:41 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Are you in vancouver? I recently got a new EGR from the R139recall, maybe you should call up the local dealership and have them run a vin check to see if there is any outstanding recall

Old 09-05-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by FrozenApple
Are you in vancouver? I recently got a new EGR from the R139recall, maybe you should call up the local dealership and have them run a vin check to see if there is any outstanding recall
My car is a 1997 so wouldn't that be long past any recall? I phoned Richmond Jaguar parts department who have always been very helpful and they said the EGR for an X300 was discontinued.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

I've had good luck with Airtex aftermarket products (although I haven't bought an X300 EGR!) - I think you'd be fine getting one of those.

You could always go the "used" route too - Coast Imports an Mitchell Island might have one, or you could try Tomcat over on the Island.

good luck

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Kevin Burnaby (09-07-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Burnaby
My car is a 1997 so wouldn't that be long past any recall? I phoned Richmond Jaguar parts department who have always been very helpful and they said the EGR for an X300 was discontinued.
Well, unless Canadian X300 have a different EGR setup, and the EGR valve has been discontinued in the last few months, I believe they are mistaken.

First, the EGR is a service item, and the part is readily available from various sources. And as long as it is a quality replacement, it shouldn't matter if from Jaguar or something like an ACDelco unit.

Second, I just had mine replaced a few months ago as part of the R493 recall. And yes, as a recall your car is still eligible if it hasn't been performed. If there is an expiration date on recalls and this one specifically, it hasn't been reached as of late last year.

For more info, see:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...recall-126057/

Old 09-05-2015, 08:50 PM

My is a 95 XJR , you would be surprise they recently did the recall on my jaguar @ richmond jaguar. I'm not sure if the parts guy knows what hes talking about, I got a brand new egr valve from the recall so.. might want to give them another call, better yet see if you did the recall yet, if you havn't thats your chance to get a brand new egr valve + gasket + a stronger throttle return spring.

Last edited by FrozenApple; 09-05-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Default ERG Recall

Originally Posted by FrozenApple
My is a 95 XJR , you would be surprise they recently did the recall on my jaguar @ richmond jaguar. I'm not sure if the parts guy knows what hes talking about, I got a brand new egr valve from the recall so.. might want to give them another call, better yet see if you did the recall yet, if you havn't thats your chance to get a brand new egr valve + gasket + a stronger throttle return spring.
This is a great help, thanks for posting this. I have had the car for 9 years and didn't get any notices. Have you been happy with Richmond Jag for service? I have been using a well known private shop.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Default ERG Recall and Aftermarket

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger

And as long as it is a quality replacement, it shouldn't matter if from Jaguar or something like an ACDelco unit.

Second, I just had mine replaced a few months ago as part of the R493 recall. And yes, as a recall your car is still eligible if it hasn't been performed. If there is an expiration date on recalls and this one specifically, it hasn't been reached as of late last year.

Thank you Al, most helpful. The service shop I have been using could not source the EGR and I called the local Jag dealer myself. They also said something about replacing the tube, but you would think that could simply be changed.

On a somewhat related item the Idle Control valve/stepper motor started acting up so I just unplugged it. Haven't had any problems with it for 8 years when my local service shop at the time simply cleaned it. These are crazy expensive for what they are here in BC.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Default ERG and used parts

Originally Posted by Lawrence
You could always go the "used" route too - Coast Imports an Mitchell Island might have one, or you could try Tomcat over on the Island.

good luck

Larry
Thanks Larry, I have been buying parts from Ed at Coast for 25 years, I have an ALFA as well but found a great source of new parts in London UK, way better than Centerline or IAP in the US.

I find that Coast can be crazy expensive for some things and quite reasonable on others.

My XJ is car number 22 for me now, been driving for 45 years. I have 3 cars with a combined age of 86 years old and typically the only used parts I would consider using are trim and body pieces, nothing mechanical or electrical unless it can be rebuilt. I do not like to do the same job twice as have learned my lesson, so only as low cost last resort would I buy used parts other than for cores.

I was not aware of Tomcat but I am over in Victoria for events quite often, so thanks for the lead. When used to live on the Island I only had American cars. I keep itching to look around at Timmis every time I am over your way, but I am afraid I would buy another old car. At this stage in my life it would make more sense to get something from this decade for a daily driver.

Last edited by Kevin Burnaby; 09-07-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts
Talking

At this stage in my life it would make more sense to get something from this decade for a daily driver.
Ha! - More sense indeed!!

Preaching to the proverbial choir here Kev, I'm a 1949 model year myself and my daily driver is currently in the covered parking downstairs with the tank out of her awaiting the new fuel pump. .. Wife has refused to bring me any more cups of tea when I'm down there - in her words "you're getting too old to be fixing cars" heh!!!

Cheers mate and happy motoring - agree about Coast prices btw, a bit "up there"

Larry

Old 09-14-2015, 07:57 PM

This is a great help, thanks for posting this. I have had the car for 9 years and didn't get any notices. Have you been happy with Richmond Jag for service? I have been using a well known private shop.
I had mine for about 2 years, and i usually do the work myself. Sometimes you need to call them to check for recall since they prob mailed it out to the previous owner at some point but not you. The service at richmond jaguar was pretty good, they even got me a courtesy car, the whole recalled took about 4 hours and they do give you warning about the "cracked manifold" and make you sign that if they break it during removal they are not liable.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:02 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Try this eBay item number:361379211218 . I've bought lots of parts from him including this EGR valve priced at £8.50. He doesn't ship to canada but I've used friends to ship on to me

Old 09-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Yep, any good dealer or even Jaguar USA will tell you over the phone if your car (by VIN) has any recalls outstanding.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We changed 3 out of 4 old Bilstein suspensions with new Arnott suspensions because one of the 4 new Arnott suspensions ıs not working, 2 on the rear and 1 on the front: We are waiting for replacement of the 4th non-working part. However, after changes, the front suspension drops 2 cm and the rear suspension drops 5 cm 1 hour after turning off the engine. When restarting the engine. suspension resumes to normal after 30 sec. We hope after replacing the 4th old Bilstein suspension with a new Arnott suspension on the front to complete the replacement of all 4 suspensions that the issue will be resolved. Does anyone have any experience with this type of issue?Thanks.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Not knowing that my XJR does not need an EGR, as part of my preventive maintenance I bought a new, factory original ERG from the UK some two years ago. It is now somewhere in one of my cars in storage so I would need to dig it out and if and when I can find it I shall let you know.

Old 06-27-2020, 02:20 PM
Default X300 xj6 erg

Greetings QV,

Thank you for your reply, My post was 5 years ago. I had been using my 97 XJ as a daily driver and after it reached 250,000 kms I had to make a decision. Since it was no longer feasible to have 3 old cars, even though I loved the XJ after 10 years as a daily driver and with some parts not available I traded the Jaguar.

The local Jaguar dealers proved to be next to useless about supporting a 20 year old XJ. If it were an American car that wouldn't have been an issue. The last straw was when my private Jaguar repair shop that I had used for 6 years messed up on a routine brake service, they also managed to damage the clear coat on the hood by dropping a tool on it. My new daily driver is a BMW 5 series from the 21st century, the funds from the XJ only covered the cost of a new set of run flat Pirelli tires. Now I don't have to rent a car when I go on a long road trip. It didn't make sense to keep the Jaguar as my ALFA had been begging for total restoration.

I put all my effort into a rolling restoration on the ALFA; everything related to brakes, suspension, bushings, tires, entire cooling and fuel systems, I started on the body. Probably should have done the body first. I discovered severe rust in the middle and inner rockers that wasn't noticeable. All new steel body panels, inner fenders and spare tire well were welded in, then I went for broke and had very good refinish with 9 coats, hand sanded. Ordered all new upholstery and stainless trim from Italy. Now afraid to leave it in a parking lot, it's just used for Sunday drives.

I actually enjoyed driving the Jaguar more than the BMW. The 5 series is a nice car but not as nice a ride as the XJ. After 4 years of using the BMW as a daily driver I am planning to trade it as soon as the extended warranty is over. The BMW has ended up costing me twice what I paid in service for the Jaguar. BMW service in Vancouver is a total racket, the private shops charge more than the dealers and both gouge on things like tire and oil changes. I had to replace a water pump with less than 40,000 kms, So much for superior German engineering, the BMW dealers have horrendous parts and labour costs.

Thanks for offering to find the ERG, someone my want it.
Keep your XJR going and good luck.

Last edited by Kevin Burnaby; 06-27-2020 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typos
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin Burnaby:
Cafcpete (06-27-2020), Qvhk (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Kevin, didn’t realize that your previous post was 5 years’ old. The second last poster revived this thread which I didn’t read in detail so thought you and others were still looking for the ERG.

I too have an Alfa so like you am spending endless time on restoration, but the XJR is always the subject of “continuous improvement”, and is not far from being a daily driver.