XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 exhaust options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 11:28 AM
Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
Default X300 exhaust options?

I have been fixing up a cheap X300 I purchased recently ($900USD for a running/driving car with lots of little issues). After working through a few wiring issues, I looked at the condition of the exhaust system last night. The exhaust is well on it's way to being junk. What sorts of options are there for replacement of this taking into consideration that I am not wild about dropping $1000 - $1500 on an exhaust system for a $1000 car (maybe $1300 - $1400 taking into consideration the various parts I have bought so far).

I have seen various systems pictured on the X300 picture section of jag-lovers.org some were very nice but looked a little expensive. One was more reasonable looking with elimination of some cats and mufflers (I live in an area that does not do any inspection for catalytic converters).

Anyway any suggestions or experiences with exhaust replacement would be appreciated.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

You can try your local exhaust shops but they will probably still run around $500 or slightly more. Another option would be finding a good used system from a salvage car but most likely being from the north it will suffer the same issues you already have. Eliminating the cats will throw codes and a check engine light. Not really many options available. You can try E-bay but shipping on exhaust can be expensive due to the size of the pieces and shipping truck freight.Good Luck!

Old 10-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I had described what I did in another thread, but basically I bought the OEM downpipes that have no cats and just recently took off the underfloor cats, so that I only have the underfloor resonators and rear mufflers. I have all four O2 sensors installed and am now looking at a way to take the rear O2 sensors out of the exhaust stream using spacers or washers. This setup will cause a check engine light to stay on, but in Massachusetts there is no emissions requirement over 15 years old.