XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

x300 v x308 bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question x300 v x308 bumpers

Am I right in thinking X308 bumpers fit straight on to an X300 ?

My rear bumper is being sprayed shortly was going to swap it out for a later if I can source one if it goes straight on. May as well get the later model one sprayed instead of mine and bin mine.

Will obvously do the front as well

Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My XJ6R has X308 bumpers. The lights are the only difference. I have a double speed flash on the left side that I havn't been able to fix - although I've had plenty else to keep me occupied and it's never failed an MOT. The front fogs are not wired in either - not connected at the back of the lamps. Never failed MOT with that either and the bulb warning on the dash doesn't light up through lack of fogs, only on the double speed left indicator. I'd be interested to see how you get on and if all I need to do is check wiring.
Name:  IMG_0530a.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  115.2 KB

Last edited by Straight6DOHC; 08-24-2011 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Car-Nut (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Is the radiator grill not slightly more rectangular on the X300?

For a double rate flash, if your indicators otherwise work, try changing the bulb for a fresh one.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Is the radiator grill not slightly more rectangular on the X300?

For a double rate flash, if your indicators otherwise work, try changing the bulb for a fresh one.
Yes, the grille is different. I can't say it messes with the bumper though and I should know as I have replaced my grille. I'm sure I've replaced the bulb/s - trouble is it was so long ago that now you've go me thinking maybe I didn't. One thing I did notice, and it may be something to do with the bumper change is this:
Name:  RIMG0262.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  180.6 KB
Name:  RIMG0264-1.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  67.6 KB

I actually swapped the bulb module with another but still the problem of the double flash persisted. Anyone shed any light on what is going on here as it may help the OP as well as me?

Old 08-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice looking car, Straight6 dohc

One thing that annoys me as a keen photographer is the bunting around cars at shows

Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Straight6DOHC
Yes, the grille is different. I can't say it messes with the bumper though and I should know as I have replaced my grille. I'm sure I've replaced the bulb/s - trouble is it was so long ago that now you've go me thinking maybe I didn't. One thing I did notice, and it may be something to do with the bumper change is this:

I actually swapped the bulb module with another but still the problem of the double flash persisted. Anyone shed any light on what is going on here as it may help the OP as well as me?
The question about the grille was just to find out. The X308 has a great "snout" but the X300/R has that wonderful supercharged inline 6 sitting in the engine bay.

some thoughts:

- the lamp module carries the designation "not compatible with LNA2245--", is that a material difference in your circumstances?

- on the X308, the front directional indicators are operated by the BCM and not the lamp control module in the trunk. Is that the case on a X300?

- the X308 and X300 *may* use different bulbs. in that case the controlling bulb monitor would expect to "see" that bulb in the circuit

- are the ground circuits good?

- the relay pictured is a generic relay. Jaguar relays generally have a internal EMP suppression diode between pins 1 and 2 to protect the driver circuit.

Anyways, the double rate flash sound is actually quite pleasant

Old 08-25-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Car-Nut
Nice looking car, Straight6 dohc

One thing that annoys me as a keen photographer is the bunting around cars at shows
Agreed, sometimes a little bit of photoshop helps but once the bunting reflects on the car, the pics never going to look good. The thing is, any show I've been to in recent years, everyone just walks where they like. This is fine by me so it makes me wonder why there is the bunting in the first place.

The question about the grille was just to find out. The X308 has a great "snout" but the X300/R has that wonderful supercharged inline 6 sitting in the engine bay.

some thoughts:

- the lamp module carries the designation "not compatible with LNA2245--", is that a material difference in your circumstances?

Just checked the parts website, LNA2245 is up to VIN 739426 and LXF2245 is from VIN 739427 so that's ok with my car.

- on the X308, the front directional indicators are operated by the BCM and not the lamp control module in the trunk. Is that the case on a X300?

I believe the x300 is also controlled by Body Processing Module which is behind the glove box on a UK RHD car.

- the X308 and X300 *may* use different bulbs. in that case the controlling bulb monitor would expect to "see" that bulb in the circuit

I know the x300 has 2 bulbs in the front bumper indicator while the x308 has only 1 bulb. So in my car, the x308 indicator has only 1 bulb, it now has the x308 bulb holder where the x300 (twin bulb) unit has been cut off. I'd have expected this mod to produce double speed flash on both sides though.

- are the ground circuits good?

Absolutely no idea on this one. This is one of those jobs where I have the luxury of gaining plenty of advice on this double flash issue from those more experienced than me. There are usually more pressing jobs to be done I'm afraid.

- the relay pictured is a generic relay. Jaguar relays generally have a internal EMP suppression diode between pins 1 and 2 to protect the driver circuit.

Anyways, the double rate flash sound is actually quite pleasant
Many thanks for the input - when I get around to it I should start with checking the wiring & grounds.

Edit: Plums, I've replied to your questions within your quotation - I can't work these forums properly.

Last edited by Straight6DOHC; 08-25-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

@straightdohc6

The double to single bulb may be of great significance.

If the original circuit was 2 bulbs in parallel, the expected resistance is half of a single bulb. If a series circuit was used, then double that of a single bulb.

Running a different bulb type also introduces a change.

A corroded ground circuit will also introduce a change.

The reason that only one side is double flashing is that the good side still remains within system tolerance.

Your best bet is to measure the resistance of each circuit. The difference will tell you which direction you need to favour.

The following users liked this post:
Straight6DOHC (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Many thanks for clearing that up Plumps. I've copied and saved it to my jobs to do list. Electrics is not one of my top subjects but you have made everything clearer in my mind. Thanks again. Hopefully this might help the OP as well.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Long time no see..

Yess the bumper fits like a glove Have it on my X300 aswell.

As for problems with this you have.

Brake cooling ducts dosn´t fit but i dont care with this one because it´s no racer anyway..

Foglights are no problem at all to hook up. Mine works just fine

Double flash is a thing that i have aswell and no question this is because of the 308 bumpers use one 21w bulb in the indicators instead of one (there´s three wires going all the way out to the bulb 2+ and one -) will look into this very soon.

The solutions i have been thinking of is either connect a bulb that will be just hanging loose insde of the bumper or try to connetct both + wires to the same bulb.

Will let you know how it goes

Old 11-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I'd introduce a load resistor to each side to bring up the load required - it's a similar problem when converting the bulbs to LED versions on the 308, they fast flash unless a load resistor is fitted also.
load resistors for led lights - Google Search

Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
I'd introduce a load resistor to each side to bring up the load required - it's a similar problem when converting the bulbs to LED versions on the 308, they fast flash unless a load resistor is fitted also.
load resistors for led lights - Google Search
Thats true. But a light bulb is alot cheaper than a resistor so i dont realy se the point of using one. And how often does a turnsignal bulb go out
???

And as for LED on 308 i have them in the rear turnsignals but it doen´s fast flash on the outside only in the instrument cluster

Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaggachafen
Long time no see..

Yess the bumper fits like a glove Have it on my X300 aswell.

As for problems with this you have.

Brake cooling ducts dosn´t fit but i dont care with this one because it´s no racer anyway..

Foglights are no problem at all to hook up. Mine works just fine

Double flash is a thing that i have aswell and no question this is because of the 308 bumpers use one 21w bulb in the indicators instead of one (there´s three wires going all the way out to the bulb 2+ and one -) will look into this very soon.

The solutions i have been thinking of is either connect a bulb that will be just hanging loose insde of the bumper or try to connetct both + wires to the same bulb.

Will let you know how it goes
Perhaps your fast flash is caused by the rear led.

The fast flash rate is actually quite pleasant. Too bad the fast flash does not also carry over to the light itself because it would be more effective as a signal.

A load resistor is not the only way to get rid of fast flash. The fast flash was lost when I interposed a relay in the circuit at the rear. Apparently the coils draw enough current to mimic a bulb. The difference is that the relays don't get hot like the load resistors.

At the front, maybe the x300 used a dual filament bulb. One for what North Americans call parking lights and one for turn signals. Maybe you can find a suitable bulb holder to use with the housing that can accept a dual filament bulb.

ps. The system at the rear now works like this:

Code:
running:        side markers + tail + fog
flashing:        side marker + turn signal + reverse
reverse:        turn signal + reverse
reverse/turn: side marker + turn signal + reverse (on flashing side) 
hazard:         side markers + turn signal + reverse

Last edited by plums; 11-11-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 PM

Perhaps your fast flash is caused by the rear led.

The fast flash rate is actually quite pleasant. Too bad the fast flash does not also carry over to the light itself because it would be more effective as a signal.

A load resistor is not the only way to get rid of fast flash. The fast flash was lost when I interposed a relay in the circuit at the rear. Apparently the coils draw enough current to mimic a bulb. The difference is that the relays don't get hot like the load resistors.

At the front, maybe the x300 used a dual filament bulb. One for what North Americans call parking lights and one for turn signals. Maybe you can find a suitable bulb holder to use with the housing that can accept a dual filament bulb.
First of all i own two Jags An XJR (308) and an XJ6 (300)

My XJR fast flashes in the instrument cluster because of the reaer LED. But it doesn´t fast flash on the outside.

My XJ6 that i fitted with XJ8 bumper fastflashes both in the cluster and on the outside. ANd has no LED´s fitted. All signals are working. The reason for this is that X300 has a total of ¤ 21w bulbs in the front for the turnsignal and X308 has only 2. Maybe it would be good enough drawing 5w to stop it from fastflashing and yes then it would work with a dual fillament bulb. But still if it doesnt work the connect both the positive wires together the absolute esiest way to sort his is to mount a separet 21W bulb just sitting somwhere inside of the bumper

Old 11-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

I forgot that this was a x300 centric thread.

If my x308 flashed fast both inside and outside, I would be a happy camper