XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 , X308 , XK8 Cup Holder repair using Bamboo Stick - Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts
Default X300 , X308 , XK8 Cup Holder repair using Bamboo Stick - Resolved

Before I was aware that there was a Jaguar TSB ( 501 - 06 ) or the URO replacement I went ahead and fixed it . This was so my Lady Penelope could more gracefully present her cup holder instead of the previous %*#}Trump@^?*#> operation . With the marked broken points A , B , and C I will map out a repair that works . Any questions , just ask . This Forum has helped me tremendously on many X300 subjects so I hope this helps other readers as you have helped me . Any suggestions to make this repair better , let me know so it can be edited and posted .

Thanks , Parker

A. Adding sewing string threads to the epoxy ( J - B Weld brand Red 4 hour set ( looks like they even reduced that time in pic ) , Yellow 5 minute is to fast , and don't substitute the cheap stuff , fails ) gives some needed tensile strength . If you can find the broken hinge ear pieces they can be incorporated into the repair , but works without . Take a bamboo stick that has been greased , soaked , and the access wiped off and place the stick through the pivot point hole as a mold for the hole as you apply a layer of epoxy . Add 5 threads to this with the aid of a toothpick and encapsulate the threads with more epoxy . Since it is a slow setting epoxy it will sag so you'll will have to flip it around until it sets . 5 minute setting time epoxy is to fast to manipulate the repair . Remove the bamboo stick before full cure time . Incorporating a bamboo stick remaining in the monkey works would just be weird . The repair can be filed or block sanded to final shape . Takes about 24 hours for full cure and is recommended before stressing the hinge ears to get the original pivot post through . You may have to spin with your fingers a 3/ 16 inch ( 4.7625 mm ) drill bit to open up the hole in the ear .

B. No thread required but I reinforced the broken ears of the rotary dampers .

C. Using the same thread concept I reinforced the broken spring attachment aft arm but you have to get the threads it direct contact with the original plastic or it will interfere with the spring compression . Route the threads over the top of the cutout that the fwd attach point of the spring slides though .

NOTES :

1 . You can use 2 inch lengths of sewing thread and just cut off with a fingernail clipper the excess after full cure .
2 . You can sand the original plastic for better epoxy adhesion .
3 . A bushing ( D notated in the pic ) can be incorporated ( 3/16 inch inside diameter ; from the R/C hobby shop ) into the hinge ear for better wear as the epoxy material may not hold up in service .
4. Check for proper operation of the repaired unit before full console installaion for you may have to file or block sand the gracefully repair to flow easily .

Attached Thumbnails X300 , X308 , XK8 Cup Holder repair using Bamboo Stick - Resolved-251-1005j-bweld.jpg   X300 , X308 , XK8 Cup Holder repair using Bamboo Stick - Resolved-jaguar-cup-holder-repair-untitled.png  
Attached Files

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-13-2017 at 01:33 AM.