XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJR6 Engine ECU Successfully Remapped

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

Hi David,
I have replied to you directly, as I don't want to contravene any restrictions on advertising.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to get an ECU upgrade for my xjr-6. How do I go about getting this from you? Thanks for any info!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:25 PM

I have emailed you directly.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XJRengineer, I've briefly read through all of this thread, so apologies if this has already been covered.
I'm looking at putting an AJR6 engine into a completely different car.
I have previously done this but was fortunate to have an ECU supplied by Jaguar with no security codes on it.
Are you able to modify an ECU to remove all the security from it, so it can be used in a different vehicle?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM

I was once contacted by someone involved in the build of the car that you menioned. As you write, you were very fortunate to have a non-production ECU for that car which enabled it to run without the std X300 security ECU. I can programme ECUs to run XJR6 engines in conjunction with manual transmissions, without the security ECU. I don't know how such an ECU would work in conjunction with an automatic transmission, if this is what you intend to use in.

I may have a solution if your intended vehicle will use an automatic transmisison, but I'll await your confirmation of the transmission specification.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the bay of the one we previously built:

We have also built one with an non supercharged X300 engine, and managed to get this one running by sourcing a very late XJS ecu with no security on it:

Both of these were Automatic

I would like to build a manual XJR6 powered one now, as I have a manual XJS gearbox I should be able to use.
But ideally I would like to find a solution for auto boxes as well, as Auto's in our cars seem to be more popular, and would love to be able to use these engines.

Attached Thumbnails XJR6 Engine ECU Successfully Remapped-_igp0513_zps72412b00.jpg   XJR6 Engine ECU Successfully Remapped-imgp2246_zps9c909d81.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
doc (05-11-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 04:07 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

crazy cats!

Here in NZ Greg Beacham puts rebuilt V8 XJR mechanicals into Mark II saloons and series III E-types...

Beacham Jaguar - Independant Dealer & Classic Restoration & Custom Car Experts

Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts
Thumbs up

The XJR/6 engine has got to be one of the most physically beautiful motors ever produced.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Love my XJR but I know there's a few more ponies to be wrung out of that big 6...

XJREngineer, I'd love one of your remapped chips... Truth be told, I'd also love to know how you managed that SC upgrade!

Old 05-18-2013, 03:15 AM

Schmirtz,
If you are just looking for a bit more performance, then fitting one of my brckets is more cost effective, than remapping the ECU. That is more appropriate if the engine has undergone a major upgrade (more than 10% increase in airflow).

I've spent the last 25 years working as a professional engineer in the automotive industry. That experience is very helpful when undertaking a project such as my Eaton M112 upgrade.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Default Need cable to allow ecu modification for jag s type 2.7d (2006 model)

Hello there,
Please would anyone know what kind of cable will be compatible with a Jaguar 2.7D S Type 2006 Model for using remapping software.

The KWP, MPPS and Galletto don't seem to work...

Finally got my head round the remap successfully on other cars but cant do my Jag as can't find a compatible Cable.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 AM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
crazy cats!

Here in NZ Greg Beacham puts rebuilt V8 XJR mechanicals into Mark II saloons and series III E-types...

Beacham Jaguar - Independant Dealer & Classic Restoration & Custom Car Experts

Al have seen his work before only one word to describe it Wicked!

Old 07-21-2014, 06:57 PM

Hi all new to your site im in uk just got another xjr6 after ages of lookin what sort of upgrades are available for theese please many thanx wayne

Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 AM

You could fit one of my revised crank sensor brackets. You could also fit a larger crank pulley and bigger intercooler pump. These mods are in decending order of cost effectiveness.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 AM

Hi,
I currently have a 95 XJR, which seems to have faulty ECU: random misfires, undeven idle and restricted performance. Electrician said the current is randomly jumping for MAF and 02 sensors and code P1621, no other codes.
I have trouble finding replacement ECU LNA1410TB/511, but I think I have in garage somewhere an ecu from my previous jag: 95 XJ6.
Is it possible to remap the ecu from xj6 so it becomes correct one for the xjr as a replacement?

Old 08-28-2014, 04:55 AM

Yes. You can take the EPROMs out of one ECU and put them in the other ECU, if you are comfortable taking an ECU apart. I would recommend using an anti-static mat. You will also need to perform a throttle adaption and potentially a lambda sensor orientation, which both require service diagnostic equipment.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
Yes. You can take the EPROMs out of one ECU and put them in the other ECU, if you are comfortable taking an ECU apart. I would recommend using an anti-static mat. You will also need to perform a throttle adaption and potentially a lambda sensor orientation, which both require service diagnostic equipment.
I shall not do it myself but I would take ECU's to electric guy to do it , the main idea is whether it is doable, Personally I do not even know what EPROM is
Thanks for an answer, hopefully this will solve my one year quest...

Old 08-29-2014, 05:10 AM

Well The change of EPROMs did not help, it got worse, now after the car starts and runds a bit to get warm, them it starts idling really band and cut out. It managed to maintain idle before with the old ECU, perhaps there are some additional things to be done when changing the ECU?

Old 08-30-2014, 04:39 AM

As I warned you, a lambda sensor orientation might be required. There was a 50/50 chance of it being necessary. The fact that the engine initially runs until the it starts to warm up, before idling really badly, suggest that this is the case. It is important that the ECU is configured to know which signals come from the lambda sensors in the gas from cyl 1-3 and which signals come from lambda sensors in the gas from cyl 4-6. Your replacement ECU has probably come from a car in which these connections are the other way round. You need to get to the two pairs (assuming your car is North American spec) of lambda sensors; one pair is near where inlet runner number 6 meets the cyl head and the other pair are on the RH longitudinal tube in the engine bay, near the half engine speed sensor. Swap these pairs of connections around and the engine should run much better as it starts to warm up. When the sensors are connected the wrong way round 3 cylinders will run 25% too rich and the other 3 cyls run 25% too lean. This is a simple mechanical alternative to running a lambda sensor orientation test, but does not calibrate the ECU to the specific electrical characteristics of the sensors. I would still recommend running a lambda sensor orientation test, as discussed earlier in this thread.

If when your engine is running more smoothly, it does not idle at the correct speed when fully warm, then you will need to perform a throttle adaption. Also discussed earlier.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:57 AM

As I warned you, a lambda sensor orientation might be required. There was a 50/50 chance of it being necessary. The fact that the engine initially runs until the it starts to warm up, before idling really badly, suggest that this is the case. It is important that the ECU is configured to know which signals come from the lambda sensors in the gas from cyl 1-3 and which signals come from lambda sensors in the gas from cyl 4-6. Your replacement ECU has probably come from a car in which these connections are the other way round. You need to get to the two pairs (assuming your car is North American spec) of lambda sensors; one pair is near where inlet runner number 6 meets the cyl head and the other pair are on the RH longitudinal tube in the engine bay, near the half engine speed sensor. Swap these pairs of connections around and the engine should run much better as it starts to warm up. When the sensors are connected the wrong way round 3 cylinders will run 25% too rich and the other 3 cyls run 25% too lean. This is a simple mechanical alternative to running a lambda sensor orientation test, but does not calibrate the ECU to the specific electrical characteristics of the sensors. I would still recommend running a lambda sensor orientation test, as discussed earlier in this thread.

If when your engine is running more smoothly, it does not idle at the correct speed when fully warm, then you will need to perform a throttle adaption. Also discussed earlier.
The car is EU spec, two O2 sensors only. Swapped the plugs, no change. Runs like poop after starting to warm up worsening with temp rising and eventually stalls.
Will try to find who can make the reorientation. The major problem is that even the dealer in my country refuses to take the car in: too old for them.. :/ Therefore I have to find things out myself. Before swapping the ecu with and EPROMs I had not so bad, but in essence similar problem of misfire when car warmed up, can it be this was also cause due to not performed O2 orientation (they were changed to new ones)?

Quick Reply: XJR6 Engine ECU Successfully Remapped