XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJR6 Gearbox Mount Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 02:23 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default XJR6 Gearbox Mount Question

Hi,

I recently bought a 96 XJR6. It is in good condition but has a few issues that I want to quickly correct. First up was a squeaky belt, so I went to my local garage. I also got them to fit the famous Andy bracket (what an effect that has!). On collecting my car they advised me that when it was up on the ramp they saw a fair bit of engine movement, which they also saw when it was up and running back on the ground.

They advised me that the rear gear box mount is probably worn out. We agreed that I would order in the parts from the net and they will fit them.

Jaguar Classic Parts have a good page showing the components of the mount. See this link.

I noted elsewhere that in the US you can buy a complete kit to recon your gearbox mount, but in the UK the items are sold separately. Does anyone know what items I need?

Is it only the rear bush MMC7553AA, the two springs CCC5850 and CCC5852, in the US kit it seems the spring seat are also provided, do I need those too?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
nickdabs

Old 11-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I would change the bush and the spring seats, the springs themselves should be ok.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

I agree with Jagboi, but if you have any difficulty sourcing parts, you get about 95% of the benefit from the bush alone.
Even in perfect condition, the rear engine mount as it seems to be called allows more movement than most of us would think likely, so don't expect your fix to have it tied down firmly.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Hello Jagboi and countyjag,

Thanks for your replies, I will order the two spring seats and the bush and see what effect that has. In 60K miles I doubt the springs will be knackered.

Cheers,
nickdabs